• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What was your best hunting/fishing story of the year?

Just thought this would be a fun one, and think of the possibilties.

What was the trip that stuck with you the most...be it a whopper fish, or the one you almost shot, or even a laugh at your friends misfortune.

Whatcha got? smirk.gif

Good question. I'll like to see some of the posts!!!

Mine would be catching 3 muskies in one day on Alex this summer. A 43, 45, and 48 I believe they were. Also had 3 more on that I lost, and two were boatside that I lost!!! All the fish were on the same lure too!!

I like this question. It would of been the 27 3/4" walleye my fiancee caught on memorial weekend on Mille Lacs. It was so much fun watching her fight it on her own. She released it and smiled for the next week showing off the pictures. It made it all worth while.

Brianlucky13, sounds like you are lucky. What a great day of muskie fishing!! My story is a 50 incher that crashed my buzzbait up on Leech over Labor Day weekend. What a fight. Took some nice photos and sent her back. Also my 7 year old son caught his first walleye on Mille Lacs. 26 inches of pure enjoyment.

I dont think its lucky. Whats lucky is catching a 32 and a 33 inch walleye 5 minutes apart from each other on the Red River here around Fargo!!! But I would rather catch a muskie over a little walleye anyday!!!!

I would say that my favorite story of the year came while deer hunting this year. There was a fresh coat of snow covering all the woods making it quiet, yet very easy to pick up any sort if movement. I was sitting in my portable about 25 feet up in a big balsom and noticed movement coming from the east directly down the trail.

I was in position and I told myself that any deer who walked within shooting range was going to walk unless the antlers were "beyond it's ears" as we say at our camp. As I put my rifle up to take a peek, I noticed what I thought to be spikes coming out of his head. Even though I was excited to see the deer, my nerves settled because I knew that I wasn't going to be shooting. So I hung my rifle back on my stub branch and continued to watch this little guy.

He was out front of me about 20 yards away with nothing but air between us. He was interested in my scent wicks that I had out on the trail and stood there for quite a few minutes. He then lost interest in the scent, and started walking directly towards me right on my foot path I took to my tree. He walked right directly under my tree and in fact I could look down my tree climbers and see his back. Were talking 3 yards at the most away from the base of my tree.

He started walking away and I lost sight of him due to all the balsom branches behind me. I didn't want to move to much in my stand, so I decided to take out my can call and give it a whirl. I was new to the can call, so I thought I would give it a try with a buck that I knew I wasn't going to shoot, so if it spooked him...no big deal.

So I hit the call a couple of times and crash...crash...crash.. he came running and stopped again at the base of my tree. I was looking right down on top of his head and noticed that they were little forks. He was so focused on what he heard that he still had no idea I was right above him.

He started walking away from me and crossed the trail and entered the woods on the other side. Once he got about 30 yards into the woods on the other side, I gave the can call another try. On a dime he turned and walked right back towards me stopping periodically to listen. He proceeded to walk right back on the same trail that led him to the base of my tree. I teased this little guy for about 45 minutes and he walked back and forth under my tree 6 different times. Each time he started walking out of site, I would hit the call and here he came again.

I am not sure if this was just a horned up little buck, or if it was the call, but I know this for certain...it was one of my most enjoyable hunts ever, and I never even pulled the trigger.

CA

Never have I caught so many smallmouth over 18" in one morning as my brother-in-law and I did on the Mississippi River this past summer. A trip we will never forget.

Coolest things for me in 06:

#1 getting drawn for a moose tag in MN and shooting a 32" Bull at 241 yards...

#2 drilling a 29", 26", and 30" Walleye in the first 20 minutes of a LOW summer fishing trip with a buddy. I was the lucky guy with the 29 & 30 on my turns at the trolling rods. Thanks again Scott. Good net man that day.

Late season duck hunting was a fun experience for me. I spent more days on the water than I have in years past and learned much about this wonderful sport. Two weeks left in the season the river had frozen up on friday morning, which made for difficult hunting, and the ducks were no where to be found( I also cracked my water pump impeller on my motor0. With the help of a trolling motor and a tip from a friend I tried hunting Gull lake. We didn't shoot a duck on Saturday but saw hundreds. Sunday morning we relocated and shot a slurry of ducks. The last duck had not hit the water yet and my friend says "were done" It wasn't nine oclock yet and we had shot a limit! It was sweet. The goldeneyes are at the taxadermist getting mounted. I have a hen and a drake getting mounted and my friend has a beautiful drake for his wall. Can't wait to get them home and on my wall.

21 in. brookie through the ice near Ely in January,,, what a blast

Catching a 40" pike from Gull Lake fishing for walleyes that hit a crawler/spinner rig that got hooked and damaged the gills, so now it's on the wall! Catching limits of walleyes early spring and summer on Mille Lacs. And tons of smallies trolling shad raps fishing for eye's.

Me and my hunting buddies shot 52 snows and blues spring snow goose hunting in SoDak! Plus a band each for my son and I!

Shot a bunch of Canada geese all fall. Best season ever for waterfowl including a beutiful drake redhead that's on the wall now!

The hunting and fishing gods were good to me this past season for sure! grin.gif

File this one under Misfortune...

On a Thursday the week before our annual Family Pheasant trip to SD, my cousin calls on my cell wanting to know where everyone was. Sure enough, he had taken vacation time and drove all the way to SD a week EARLY! He made the most of it by having a few beers and playing golf with the locals but we will never let him forget that one!

I must have grown up with the natural inclination of a Swamp Child. As a small river rat child, I found myself drawn to the Mississippi, ponds, lakes, runoff ditches... anywhere I could look under a rock and maybe find a tadpole or crayfish. My BEST memories go back to when my father took me fishing for sunnies, perch, bullhead, and carp.

Now my dad is 72 and I am almost 45. He has done the greatest of all things and now takes my two brothers and me up to Canada fishing a remote lake every summer for the past 5 years.

Last June, we were up on Lake Carling, working a rocky bar for walleye and we suddenly were into a feeding frenzy. More than a double or triple header, but ALL four of us having fish on the line several times over an hour or so! aLL of us were tired, but estatic! Later toward evening, the two of us were in the boat slowly trolling up onto a weedy saddle and "Wham"! I locked into a 39" northern on an ultra-light spinning rod with 6lb test line! We tried to keep up with the fish to stop it from stripping all of the line off the little reel, and after about ten minutes we had her by the boat. We got it weighed and measured, took a picture, and were happy to get her back into the water. She swam away like a crocodile just under the surface, then headed back into the deep with a resounding splash of her tail. The greatest moments were spending the time together and seeing the gratification on my dad's face for being able to bring us guys back together as we grow older.

These are a few of the many moments I will try never to forget and I am grateful to have my father in my life today.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, so far it sounds like this one was a hit.

Congrats to all you lucky ones out there.

Can't say that I had much for luck this past year.

Waterfowling wasn't as good as I had hoped, like usual, but I didn't get out much. Should have had a nice double on geese early season, but even with that second chance at the mate, couldn't bring it down. CRAP!

No time for summer fishing, was remodeling the house,

and moved this fall so the winter fishing was limited.

Caught crappies everytime out...a limit I think...but the trip to LOW was canceled due to the snow.

Deer hunting was a bust. First time I ever missed, my own fault, just rushed the shot.

Pheasants were tough this year too...too dry.

'Bout the only thing I did right this year was get the dog some well deserved practice...she put on a pile of miles for me. Good job Luna!

Lucky13...WOW! Hope you remember that one forever, doubt you'll see that again.

Way to go on the fiances' walleye. Like to see them have a memorable time. That's what it's all about.

Keep up the good deer ethics. It's guys like you that keep the bigs ones coming. Been there when it comes to playing with the little ones however, never seems to go that good for the bigs boys.

Father and son memories, aahhh! Can't say enough about 'em.

I hope some day my kids will be writing something like that about me. I intend to give it my all.

And to the guy that doesn't own a calender...that's just too bad. Bet you guys had a good time with out him, not to mention a hell of a laugh: don't let him live that one down.

Keep them coming!