• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Speed goats

outdoor ran

A group of friends are heading to Wyoming this fall going after pronghorn. They have asked if I would like to go along. They are all going to just hunt does. I'm not sure I could get up for huntin just does. Ive never hunted them before. Would cost me about an extra $350 for buck tag and land owner fee. Trying to decided which way to go.

From what I understand is the does have small antlers? I know its up to what I want to do. Just curious to hear from other guys who have hunted speed goats.

I have thought about this also. If I were to go only once or twice in my lifetime I would spend the extra $350 and have the chance to take a wall mounter.

If you have never hunted antelope I would highly recomend it. A word of caution,it is highly addictive. I grew up in mn so I never saw one until I started hunting in Nd. It usually takes 4-5yrs for a buck rifle tag in nd, so I now bowhunt for goats every year. If I were you i wouldnt miss a chance to hunt in wy. They have a ton of goats. If your going that far spend the money for a buck tag. If I were hunting Wy I would try to hold out for a 14inch or so. In my opinion, antelope are one the funniest animals to hunt.

I've hunted speed goats around Douglas WY for the last two years. I wanted to chase them all my life but never committed the effort... now I'm hooked. I''l be back every year. In 2005 I took the 15 1/4" buck below. In 2006, I got a nice 12" buck and a doe... hope to do better this year. I'd go for the buck license. It's maddening to watch a 17" buck walk by when all you have is a doe tag. If you're driving all that way, spend the extra money.

Good Luck!

8997242_1024.ts1173384972000.jpg

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to try for the buck tag. Sounds like its going to be fun. I shoot a 30.06 with 180gr Remingtons for whitetail. This going to be to much for speed goats? Should I go a lighter bullet? Looks like a summer full of long range target practice cool.gif

when I first hunted antelope I used a 270 with 150grain. I now use a 243 with 80 grain. I like antelope meat so I dont like to shoot them up that much. They are not very big. A big buck might be 130 or so.

Like others said, If you are only going once or twice in your life don't be cheep. I've beenout there in wyoming a few times and shoot a few goats and a few mulies,this year I applied for a deer buck tag and two doe goat tags. goats taste great and four $82 you can take two. It's not allways about the trophys,it's a vacation and a great place to spend time with family or freinds. I'm going with my dad whos a wyoming nut! I just want a nice mullie to hang up!!!

We are applying for a goat tags as well. Also trying for deer buck tags so hopefully we get lucky and draw something....man a guy can drop some $$ on this sport.

Even so I say spend the extra and draw for a buck, how many chances are you gonna have at it?

Good luck!!

I would absolutely get the buck tag. I'd also shoot a lighter bullet. 30-06 is fine just get to know your ballistics with a lighter grain bullet. Lots of goats there. You will have fun. Decide what size you are looking for there's not a lot of HUGE bucks in WY but there's lots of opportunities to find a really good one.

I applied for a buck tag and 2 doe tags. Sounds like its a 100% draw in that area. I've been lookin at our pronghorn mounts at work, I'm getting excited already. Would it be a good idea to buy a range finder and some shooting sticks?

I've got an antelope hunt scheduled in Montana for my wife and I. I hunted them once many years ago with no luck. This time we'll be on private land with the land owner taking us hunting. We are both putting in for buck tags and will also shoot a doe or two.

I'll be shooting a 7mm Remington Ultra Mag simply because it's so flat shooting. I'm used to shooting long range at coyotes so feel very comfortable with a 400 yard shot at an antelope if need be. My wife will be shooting a 243 but she's only confident out to 250 yards or so.

We are really pumped about this hunt!

• 4 months later...

Update- got my buck tag and 2 doe tags in the mail. Almost August and haven't fired a bullet. Been fishing to dang much. Going to have to get to the range here soon. I'm looking for any and all advice for hunting speed goats. Should I get leather chaps for the terrain in Wy? Thanks for the advice guys. Can't wait, getting excited all ready.

CornPirateKiller, who's the guy on the left of the picture ?

BTW I would use a caliber with better ballistics than a 30-06, antelope hunting in WY is from a distance, I would choose a 25-06 instead or any other flat calibers.

Ran, where are you going ?

Hey Scotta or anyone, I'm glad this is posted as I am gonna try hunting goats in North Dakota for the first time. Going totally blind...still researching. Me and 2 others might try out the Bowman area. Any insight, tactics or anything in about this area would be great. We'll be bowhunting. I thought I'd try something totally different this year.

I don't know where you are going but I hunted Mulies in the Lusk area and there were a ton of goats out that way. It will probably be warm then so I would hunt any water tank you could get by and set up a blind. You should have no problem hunting private land for goats cause the farmers hate them because they mess up there fence. If you can't get by a water tank then spot and stalk. If spot and stalk your closes shot will probably be 200yds. Wyoming is a beautiful state and enjoy it while your out there. Good luck and I hope this helps.

Val, all I know is it is somewhere near Gillette. I've never been there. I think I'm going to have to use the 30 06. Can't really afford another gun at the moment. I think that would be the best choice out of my arsenol. 30 30, 308, old 303.

Btw, Happy birthday cool.gif

I am pumped bout goat hunting too. We bought doe tags last yr but we are gonna try for buck tags tis yr. If we dont get them we still will hunt does. I use a .270 with 130 grain bullets.