• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Electronics

CiscoKidd

First off my son's and I only use a camera for ice fishing. We initially tried a Vexilar but the camera seemed to provide more of what we would use. My question is do most the gents that post on this board have both? What about a depth finder I.E. the hand helds or something else? I was away in the US Navy for 15 years and just want to make sure I'm not missing the boat no pun intended! Being away sure helps you appreciate something as wonderful as Lake Mille Lac's. Thanks for any that respond.

njSEcF4mYT7q5ZRs8Om8YTtR5hAzt8q-0300.jpgGxZILgHkx2PojgYYsuAUDABIMJ7jPIl-0300.jpg

Above is a couple of photos from my set up. I do have a couple of flashers I use, but I like my graff. It shows in detail (better at ultra speed) my bait and if their is a fish following). Also if you look to the right of my screen on my graff, their is a flasher mode (its a split screen). Also my Humm bird is my GPS. After hitting a couple of buttons it will put you in GPS mode. You can also see the fish coming in at bottom of screen. I do turn off fish id at times. If you get into them thick, the beeping drivers me nuts. The cam is key also. So you were in the navy. I had a grandpa that served the sinking of the Lexington in WWII in the coral sea. Also had a uncle on the independence just out of Vietnam (74-78). Are you a Pollywog or Blue nose? Good luck and I hoped I could be of help.

You certainly want a Flasher/graph Fish locator over a camera if that was your question.

I would agree that I would have a locator first and the camera would be second. I do use both many times.

You have more options with electronics over a camera. I would go back to the Vexilar.

Thanks for all the info. I thought we were missing out on something. Shackbash- I was an Honorable Shellback. Missed the Blue Nose by six weeks when I reported to the CVN-70 USS Carl Vinson in Alameda, Ca Just a couple weeks shy of the big earthquake of 89. The Lexington or Gray Lady was an interesting lesson still taught in the Navy. She survived multiple torpedos and bombs dropped directly on her and they were able to shore up the damage. Later some gas vapors caught fire below decks and an abandon ship order was given. Ironically the ship that had the Admiral transferred to was the USS Minneapolis! Those battles we no joke.

Cisco Kidd! Sorry my Navy lingo is not correct. Now does Shellback mean you crossed the equator or not. I know blue nose means you entered the arctic circle. To bad you missed that.Looks good on your file. My grand father was a blue nose and crossed the equator. My uncle only kissed the greased belly, did not hit the arctic. Ya, my grandfather survived and lived till 1986. They both are great men. I never joined Navy, cause my father and mother talked me out of it. It took them along time and a couple of recruiters, but I never went.

Shackbash I see you have a miller lite in that picture!! sometimes thats the most important piece of equiptment a guy can bring out on the ice!!! grin.gifgrin.gif

I have found Grain Belt to be a little more productive!!! grin.gif

Note the bottle under may chair. Does anyone know what it is?

You know, I have to admit that without the camera (Cabela's model), I would of had a hard time catching the perch and walleye I did with only my Vex. The reason is they were biting so lightly, I just had a hard time feeling them with my ultra sensitive rod. When I could see them nibbling on my minnow, that is when I put the slam on them. I actually turned off my Vex after a while, and just used the camera. I also learned exactly what the fish wanted (lift, drop, etc.) Even color preference. In a clear lake such as Mille Lacs, don't leave home without it!

I also tie wrapped some aquarium weeds on my cable to help hide the camera. It worked as fish would come right up to it. That was a good idea!

Web, You are correct. Tell him what he has won Bobby, "well Shack it seems our contestant Web has won a swift kick to the pants". Thanks for playing folk and remember to buy soft suddliey Fish stink soap. It cleans the stink right off!

just joking WEB, That was a funny old bit from a former employee I used to work with. You are correct, butter shots is a must have for the fisherman who drinks. Keeps you warm on those cold days.

Sincerely,

SHACKBASH

Aquarium weeds? Are these at the local fish store? I never thought to camo the cable or the fish/camera. Great idea. I did have a cool experience with a fish on URL. It was murky and I had to squint to make out shapes some were fish some not. I spotted something that looked like a vague outline of a face. This was good sized. Slowly the silt began to settle and the face came closer. Faint outline moving in at a snails pace. I asked my son and his 20/20 to take a look. At that point the very distinguishing shiloutte of a monster northern slowly crep up to my camera. It took him about five minutes to check it out. Turned slowly away not even giving any of the four lines we had a moments thought.Coolest thing I ever saw with the camera. Ice Fishing Rules!

CiscoKidd,

Marv's Truevalue in Princeton had slip over weed cover for your aqua cam cord. It covered the bottom 10' of the cord. It was on clearance a couple of weeks ago. I did not buy it because it looks like it could be something you end up not useing in the end. It would not be easy rolling up cord with large aquadic plant attached to cord. I have had fish peck at my cord and I think I my bring them in.

One little tid bit I have found for my cam is to mark depth on my cord with colored elec. tap or nail polish. That saves me from slaming into bottom when setting up or in earlie morning before sun comes up.

SB,

I thought I was the only one up resetting my clocks! I am heading over to the spot you suggested tomorrow morning. Is it best to go north around the lake? Also is there a charge to use the road? Are the roads clear? I'm bringin my 2wd truck, fish house and two sons. Looking to try the perch out. Any minnow places over there along the way? What time should i get there? Thanks for any and all data!

CiscoKidd,

Good morning, I fell a sleep with my son around 8:00 p.m. and just got up. If I were you, go up 169 and turn by Happies (right) and follow untill road ends at a T. You will see old Mille Lacs right in front of you. Take a right on 27 and follow it through Walkon and isle untill it turns into 47. About 7-10 minutes (north) out of isle you will see a public access (lake will be on your left), 1/2 mile or so after access will be appledorns on left. They have a big sign. I would hit Prince Bait north of Milaca on 169 (on right). I am not sure of what price is, possibly between $5-$10 for access on lake. Stop in office before getting on lake. Early in day is best. I will be up their myself. Maybe see ya. Cranker states roads are good, but stop in resort and see how a 2wd would work out their. I will be in a Ford Expediton/blue. One might be walking a little ways. I possibley might bring my snowmobile. Good luck!