• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Who is ready to fish the open water on the big lake ?

30 days, I will be fishing.... ST's boat may be still snowed in a field .... NL getting finned by an 18-20 pounder. It is a sight. We are getting close. been switching tackle to different tackle boxes... boring stuff...RIGHT..You first time laker people, try the Big lake. You will see what getting hooked on fishing is all about. tick...tick....tick.....

Hah! I am right there with ya Viking, bought primer for my boat today, Brother made slip reservations for Algoma. Spent a half hour talking smack tonight about who has the best new stealth double secret XYZ bait for 2007.

Ready?????

GAME ON!!!!

Just need to watch perfect storm for the upcoming season.

GAME ON!!! Is right I will be there I can not wait as soon as the ICE goes I will be out smirk.gif. till then lets pray for rain and warmer temps confused.gif.

Viking that dang laker that finned me is going to be on a grill this year!

Cant wait for a nice day of trolling on the big lake. Tick tock for sure.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

The boat is out in the middle of a hay field sleeping. I looked under her blankets and she woke for a second and said "burrrr, leave me alone I'm not in the mode". I replied "I was just looking, go back to sleep."

Shes old but in good shape for her age and well, I love her so I think I'll keep her.

I'm all ready, boat is sitting in the pole barn. Sat in it the other day and started to make a list of things to buy this spring. Wire rod w/ counter reel, power pro line, more spoons, color fish finder, list goes on grin.gif.

Steve, you and I were out there April 5th last year. Won't be long now. Just got to get the melt on. Can't wait.

I have been ready since i put the boat away last year. I had the Boat out in January last year, so where way behind schedule.My wife says she wants fresh Salmon, So the pressures on. Wont be long now!! Good luck to All!

Just let me know when Mr. Nelson and Ill be there. A few Coho on the grill wuld be tastey thats for sure.

Sounds good Steve, soon as the roads are dry i am going to go get the rig. You cant beat the CoHo candy!!

I think our lists are extremely sinmular!

Color depth finder/sonar with speed sensor

wire rods

few more rod holders

Maybe thinking of an extra battery for my trolling motor, else a bigger drift sock.

I usually troll with my 50hp merc, but it goes to fast, so i put out the drift sock, and put my trolling motor in reverse on speed 3 or so and it slows me down real good...but a day of trolling backwords(really forwards) drains 'er pretty quick.

Do you guys use fireline or braids when on the big lake? I looked out at the lake from work and it seems like that ice is there forever. But, I got more floating raps, spoons, flies and flashers, releases, rigger weights, offshore inline boards. I feel ready for the cohos and loopers. Maybe an occasional laker. I am fairly new to Lake Superior fishing and it's true. It is an exciting experience

Quote:

Im ready, but I think I need a bigger boat.

I think I read something(or saw it on TV) that most of the boats people use on the Great Lakes are under 20 feet

Yes I do think it is time to look at the mast and boards. Thats the first thing to be used. This year have to see Russ and and get a new set of boards. ooo.gif

Boards??? I would look at down riggers first for lakers at 120 to-130 feet off the lester right on the bottom with dodgers and smelt very good numbers as soon as you can get out laugh.gif. Then as the water warms up then boards. I can not wait till we can get out as well Pappa woodie get the boat ready and we will go grin.gif

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

"I would look at down riggers first for lakers at 120 to-130 feet off the lester right on the bottom with dodgers and smelt very good numbers as soon as you can get out."

That so true early in the year before water temps on the surface warm enough to get the cohos going on top. The trout are there now and will be there for some time. Some of those trout might not ever come in shallow or on top. In fact the larger trout tend not to. So if the boards lines aren't producing cohos or chinooks go deep young man.

SK...i'm ready! I'm definately ready. Boat needs a good vaccum, and new rigger weights, but i'm definately ready.

Heck, the cooler is even in the front of the boat....coincidence? wink.gif

Vaccum, woodie just go fast and it will blow out your just going to have coho scales all over any way grin.gif. maybe even laker slim well get here ready and we will go. Just let me now what I need to bring and we will have it just pick a nice day?

Its supposed to be in the 40s this weekend...does that count?

What kind and poundage of weights do you suggest? 12 lbs bell weights, or ball weights???

I need to get new clips for the weights also. Suggestions on brand/type? I need to get ya to teach me how strong to hold the line in the clips...that was my major issue last year. The clips and weights i have are 10# i think, but the clips are real old, and either hold to tough, or not tough enough....a bit worn out to say the least.

Thanks Tom.

We will get the right stuff for your boat just let me now when you have time smirk.gif.

You've never had a TRUE lake superior experience until you've fished it in a canoe! That's good times...especially when your trying to land a 10 pound laker or king salmon.

This would be fine if the weather is on your side confused.gif. But you would never see me in one out there grin.gif. But be careful out there.

always wanted to launch the canoe on the big lake.

You guys can have those greasy trout and the whole lake. I'm not gonna waste a good day of steelheadin for any lakers. Not this guy. I will be chasin coho a bit though. My last dose of laker is gonna be saturday then not til june. Too many other fishes in the seas. All my gear is getting very organized and when the time comes I will be ready.

Wow...someone else who shares my lukewarm feelings for lakers! I'm with ya Matt, if there's steel to be had I'm gonna be in my waders:)

Traveler, there's only one better target than steelie's that I know we share, I'll be missing Brule opener to drag my butt to Cabo.

Cheffry, you're going back to Cabo in April, right? What are your dates? Who are you fishing with? I'll be missing memorial weekend myself, headed down to be an observer for a C&R marlin tournament the 27th-30th of May. I won't get in much fishing this time around, but rubbing shoulders with some of the top offshore guys should shorten my learning curve a lot:) I do hope to get in a couple days inshore if the roosterfish are on the bite. Good luck, eh?