• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Muddy water Trout'n

Hello to all!!!

Hope every one got a chance to get out and enjoy the first bit of nice weather we've had in over a week!!! Any pics? I was unable to get out this weekend, so instead, I found myself day dreaming about spring trout'n!!! I see many of you are fans of battling those mighty brutes, so I figured there wasn't a better place than here to post this. I know many of us are still in high gear ice mode, but with the amount of time spent shoveling, and the all the talk about this 7th annual trout day “never been to it, but it sounds like a load of fun” I can’t help but anxiously await the spring trout season!!!

I'd like to do a muddy water trout'n tricks exchange. I'm not looking for any ones fav. spot, as I would not want to see any ones favorite fishin hole to become the talk of the town, but rather a Strategy exchange for trout fishing in muddy waters. Seeing how many of us here are local to the Rochester / Olmsted area, most of the info exchanged would be relevant to the areas we fish, and could easily be applied to other areas as well!!!

So I’d like to put this question to all my fellow HSO & FM members,…”Do any of you trout fish in muddy water,…and if so What’s your favorite muddy water trout’n trick or strategy”

My favorite tricks;

1. #7 countdowns in black & gold, black & silver, rainbow trout, & brown trout. Countdowns are my got to lures for all of the open water seasons, even getting hits on em in mid January!!!

2. If the bite is really hot, and the fish are being aggressive, I’ll step it up to the #9 count down in the same patterns, if they’re not biting on those, I’ll got to a bolder color scheme like fire tiger, or any other bright bold color to help the fish see the lure better in the muddy water.

3. As far as locating them, I keep in mind that the waters higher and the currents faster, so they’ll be holding anywhere that they can get a break from the current. The first day or two of “high” water can be a real crapshoot, depending on how long the area takes to reach the highest point. My best muddy water luck, has been when the water level is on its way down, but still chocolatey. Once this happens, I start out by casting to the opposite shore, usually looking for small points on the opposite bank that would cut the current and create some slack water. Then I just retrieve the lure the same as if the water levels and clarity were normal. Then I’ll play with the retrieve speed and add a jerk, twitch, or pause to see what they like. Another key is to not waist one inch of the retrieve, I’ve had fish hit my lure a foot away from me just as the lure was popping out of the water. That’s another beauty of muddy water trout’n,…normally a spooky fish, they can’t see you.

4. I like to use Power Pro 10# test “I’m not a very big fan of mono in any fishing application”, but seeing how the muddy water makes it near impossible to see potential snags, (unless you know the stream well), a strong super braid, or heavier test line really saves some money!!! (at 5-6 bucks a pop, I want to know my line can take a lot of abuse, and not break off)

I’ve seen it to many times, where the water is muddy and so many of my fellow fisherman have either given up, or simply not gone because the water conditions are poor. I love having the stream to myself on days like these, but I would also like to help change some of these people’s minds about Trout’n in muddy water. Just as the forum policy says, “fun, friendly, and sharing with good family values” Just be sure to keep a close eye and take extra safety precautions (with the high water) if you bring the kids, would not want to see any one get hurt or worse! Have fun and keep the rods bend’n!!!

cool.gif

Great post Salmo! Lots of good info there.

My stream walking days are long past but when we used to trout fish all we ever did was throw a crawler out into a hole at the end of a rapids and put the pole in a "Y" stick and wait. smirk.gif Got a lot of suckers that way, but a few trout too.

i'm with u dan, my go to trout set up has always been either a nitecrawler or crappie minnow, with a splitshot or two about a foot up the line, but ive also had luck with inline spinners "mepps/panther martins" and small rapalas

I live for muddy water days. Scince I'm a spining guy its my chance to fish small streams that I would never fish. You know the one 2-3 feet deep and clear as a bell. But if its muddy now where talkin 3-4 feet and very little chance of spooking. Plus it is a good time to fish heading down stream that way i can work lures againts the current very slow. On bigger rivers i will pound the edges heading down stream it helps to use a 6-7 foot rod so you don't get stuck on the edges, those trout lay in that submurged grass. I also like bends that usally have no current but now have a little movement i do roll and reel I let the spinner roll on the bottom with the current while realing. In a sand or mud bottom it gets me the must production cause the blade will do a little flash and stir up the bottom a little. Colors wise Silver, white, pink, and Glow. As far as the lures I only carry three i'll give two that i use and that rooster tails and Rapala's. I have a third but you'll catch me fishing to find it out.

When I first started fishing, my old man started me off on live bait. Worm, small hook's, & a super small split shot,...I caught more crick chubs and suckers than any thing,...for years my best trout was maybe a 5" brown, I started to really dislike trout fishing. Then I heard about the rapala countdowns from a guy at work years later and decided to give trout'n another try. That first trip out with the countdowns, I figured with the size of this thing I’d at least catch some smallies. Not expecting to really catch any trout on a bait that size. That first season with the countdowns was the best one of my life!!!! I bet I caught 50+ trout that year!!! 90% or better went back as well too! I love to send one to the smoker once in a while!!!! The second season went even better, I think it was the practice and loosing that first seasons fear of breaking off a 5$ lure once in a while!!! Bigger really is better!!! My dads personal best brown, came of a sucker minnow,....the size most of us would go out pike hunting with!!!! So I’m not totally against live bait, as my five year old is lethal casting a count down,...(and not to the fish frown.gif )so I tend to go with worm when I go out with him,...but a countdown lets you explore so much more of the stream,..Who knows,..You may find that perfect hidden hole that you could go back and work more Thoroughly with live bait!!! You will also catch plenty of bonus bass using them!!! Last spring, I put an 18" smallie on the board before catching my first trout of the year!!!

I will edit my post as I was wrong on the regulations.

Drowning a worm can be very effective as long you are fishing a stream where live bait is legal. Worms are often washed into the stream during these situations and the trout are actively feeding on them.

I also am a huge fan of the countdown rapala, my go to lure on the spinning rod. This is a highly effective lure is stained water.

I always thought that minnows were not allowed on designated trout streams, but reading the regs seems to indicate that it is only designated stream trout "Lakes" that prohibit the use of minnows. Here are some sections of the Minnesota Rule 6264.0050 that governs trout lakes and streams:

Subpart 1. Restrictions on designated trout lakes. The lakes described in this part are inhabited by trout other than lake trout. In order to protect and foster the propagation of trout, the following restrictions on fishing in these lakes apply:

A. taking of fish is prohibited, except during the open season;

B. not more than one line may be used for angling at any time, including when angling through the ice;

C. taking of minnows is prohibited, except under special permit issued by the commissioner; and

D. possession or use of minnows as bait, except live leeches and processed minnows in a dried, frozen, or pickled condition, is prohibited.

Subp. 3. Restrictions on designated trout streams. In order to protect and foster the propagation of trout, the following restrictions apply to fishing in these streams:

A. taking of fish is prohibited, except during the open season; and

B. taking of minnows in the waters designated as trout streams by this rule is prohibited at all times, except under special permit issued by the commissioner.

Also the 2007 Fishing regulations state similar wording:

"Possessing live minnows or using them for bait on designated stream trout lakes is prohibited. Only dried, frozen, or pickled (brined)minnows are allowed. Live leeches are legal to use."

I'm not trying to stir the pot or anything, but it looks like their may be some confusion over the issue (not ruling out that I may be the one confused) grin.gif

if i had to guess, i'd say hosl is fishing a non- designated water. that would explain all the bonous smallies.

anyhoo, i used to work with a guy who would only fish after a good rain "turned the water to yoohoo". he was a live bait guy. a worm and a splitshot. pay attention though, he told a story of a day that was perfect for his style but he couldn't get bit. eventually he noticed several small slugs in the grass. he put one on and proceded to have a great day. a good rain washes lots of food into the streams and can really turn the trout on. i try to avoid live bait the way trout hit, you can easily gut hook a fish. so you cant count my vote for the countdown rap.

Yes it does seem we've got two topics going,....but then again,...I don't think I can think of one single conversation I've ever had with a fellow fisherman,...friend or stranger,...that has ever been one topic specifically,...lol grin.gif,...But about the minnow deal,...I'm with WCS,...I'm reading page 18 of the 2007 reg book,...3rd point under stream trout regulations,..."possessing live minnows or using them for bait on designated stream trout "lakes" is prohibited." Now I do not mean any disrespect here,...but WCS has a good point that should be addressed. I would hate to loose my fishing rights, or see any fellow angler loose his over a miss interpretation of a regulation,...the best bet if any one has a question about this matter would be to go strait to the source by calling 1-800-646-6367, this is the number on the cover of the 2007 reg book for the DNR,...again no disrespect meant,...but by all means,..to all,...find out for sure,...for your self,...before heading out and risking your fishing privlages,..on this or any other rules & law issues,...also keep in mind that there are many "special" regulations out for ALOT of the designated trout strems,..this "no use of live minnows may apply to one of these streams. The EXPERIMENTAL/SPECIAL regulations for rivers and streams are listed on pages 37-43. This should cover des. & non des. Trout streams & rivers.

Quote:

the best bet if any one has a question about this matter would be to go strait to the source by calling 1-800-646-6367,

Amen brother!

I am reading the 2007 regulations book and I certainly may have misinterpreted the rules. I apologize for that. Part of the reason I assumed that minnows were not allowed on trout streams was that the DNR did not want any invasive species introduced to them. After reading the rules it seems as though minnows would be legal on streams that allow live bait. Maybe our trout expert, Wxguy, can clear this us?

minnows are allowed on trout streams where special regulations are not in place. That being said, make sure there are no special seasons or regulations on the stretch of stream that you will be fishing on, including, barbless hooks, artificial lures and flies only, etc.

now, if everyone fished with barbless flies, there wouldn't be an issue wink.gif

Thanks DEADhead! Are you making it back down to Southeast MN this spring?

I'm no expert, but DH is right! smile.gif

From what I was told, they were going to try to write that into the regulations to make it more clear as it's been a source of confusion for years...even before regulations changed down here.

Am I the only one going stir-crazy? laugh.gif

Quote:

Am I the only one going stir-crazy?

Yes wink.gif I've been trying to figure out a way how I can use my new 9wt down on the Otter Tail R. without it looking like I'm going after closed season gamefish. I just want to catch something on it, I don't care if it's drum, buffalo, carp, what have you.

Only two more months till the streams open up around here... grin.gif

Quote:

Are you making it back down to Southeast MN this spring?

I don't know when I'll be able to get down to the SE, but if I do, you guys will be the first to know!