• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Just wondering how everyone as been doing on the shore. By the looks of things not many of you have been out. We missed three fish yesterday afternoon. Today I broke off a steelhead and my buddy landed a hen steelie. There has been decent fishing for a while now we just need to get the reports flowing.

Made a scenic drive up the North Shore this Sunday afternoon. Lake Superior still frozen over as far as the eye could see at the Lester River. Flat ice with patches of ice covered snow, no problem walking out. Only heaving was at the shore line but no problem to cross. Several portable houses were set up along with a few hearty souls sitting on buckets with their back to the wind.

French River also saw several houses set up among what little area that is still flat (heaving ice most everywhere). Not many places to park for the lot hasn't been plowed. Didn't venture out to see if any fish on the ice.

Pulled a looper through the ice yesterday, ice was sketchy but I was only in about 2 and a half ft of water. Won't be long before we'll have the fly rods and shore fishing rods out.

Assuming there's no ice in the area next monday, are kamloops taking any artificials. I've never fished for kamloops before, thinking about giving it a try on the way home from gunflint. Was just wondering what would be good to throw their way.

you could get them on spoons or sticks if you want to go artificial. You can also use small flies (My favorite method). But most people use either spawn, crawlers, or looper bugs and a waxie under a bobber.

Well I'll probably have some waxies in hand. I can use 2 lines in lake superior, so maybe I'll try both and see what happens.

Sticks are pretty hard to throw any distance; we've caught plenty of loopers over the years on spoons though. My fav is a 5/8 ounce krocodile, blue/silver, orange/gold, try 'em all.

I do quite a bit of looper fishing on the mouth of the French, how are conditions? Is there any ice infront of the river to contend with? Might try to go this weekend on saturday. Please let me know....

Pig

I was up at the French yesterday morning and there was ice as far as the eye could see. A little trickle of water coming from the river and that was about it. 2 guys were ice fishing near the open water. The ice is pretty cool to look at if you haven't seen it.

Matt, lets head up the shore Sunday AM. I'll stop by at work tomorrow.

Blaine, it's a date. Bring your ice house. I've got the hot bait too. This last sunday we found a few steelies. I heard there's a ton of fish stacked in front of the lester and they'll eat anything. I recommend everyone go there on sunday. Blaine and I will be there for shore.

Go get them Boy's they are there cool.gif. I will be out as well but not there???

me and a buddy went out today in front of the lester with no luck note we are new to this figured we go give it a try but we had no luck we did use a 5/8 ounce krocodile spoon blue/silver and orange/silver for bait we used spawn sacks, crawlers, and waxies we fished from 18 fow to about 50 some fow graphed fished in 18 fow they would charge lure and then be gone... any suggestions for next time if i do decide to try again?

Anyone been out near bluebird lately? Was wondering if the ice is opening up in that area yet. Thinking about taking the 10'ers out for a spin.

Haven't been out but drove by today. Froze stiff. Going to be a bit before anyone will get out below Stoney Point.

crappie__king, give looper bugs a try next time. You should be able to see the fish if you are under 25 feet of water. Also make sure you fish the whole water column. Good Luck!!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Capt.Blaine, is right on. Downsize from the 5/8th oz Krocs.

Looper bugs, 1/6th oz maribou jigs, or small pimples. Tip them with a waxie or part of a crawler.

I have great luck with just waxies on a size 8 hook and now weight. I run 4 pound test for the loopers ice fishing you get more fish to commit when using light line.

Quote:

Capt.Blaine, is right on. Downsize from the 5/8th oz Krocs.

Looper bugs, 1/6th oz maribou jigs, or small pimples. Tip them with a waxie or part of a crawler.

In my limited experience fishing the big lake, I have noticed that early in the season, the fishing is better trolling with smaller stickbaits(floating raps) and as the season progresses, the bigger rapalas seem work better. Anyone else find this is the case? I got some flashers and flies this year for Xmas. Are these ok to use early in the season when the fish are probably chasing spawning smelt?

I think Blaine was refering to fishing from shore. If trolling is the subject I'd save the flashers etc. for later and stick to sticks. If you really want to wash some flies combo them with the absolute smallest dodger or flasher you can find and keep whatever you use in the top of the water column. Posts related to trolling will pop up in a few weeks but for now it's all from shore.

Quote:

I think Blaine was refering to fishing from shore

Actually I was refering to ice fishing.

Of course. Man the lester sure got popular. Wonder how everyone else did this weekend.

I'm licking my chops at the oppurtunity of coming up there to do some looper fishing in about 2 weeks. I drove past there yesterday but didn't have my ice gear with me. I think I'd rather fish the open water from shore anyway. I can't wait!