• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

St. Croix Opener Countdown

JBMasterAngler

The croix opener is only 1.5 months away (april 28 I believe?) I'm wondering if I decide to hit the river on the opener where to go. I don't know whether I want to try the lake st. croix area or do I want to explore the backwaters in search of fish. Backwaters might be my best choice considering they were high and dry last summer and could very well be that way this year too.

That's a nice one...22 incher? I hope I can find some of those this year.

Geez, if you caught your limit how many did you end up throwing back? I think I'm more jealous right now than anything. When I don't catch those my excuse will be that I was fishing for northerns in the backwaters, yeah that's my story.

Walli1, How do you post those pics? I have a couple of stringer I'd like to throw on this thread as well...

Heading over to Pool 4 this weekend! I hear the eyes are absolutely stacked up but getting them to bite is a bit tricky... To be honest, I don't really care - just getting out on open water will be AWESOME!

Walli1,

Very nice pics Wallman! Those images will be driving the awaiting anglers into a frenzy -seems like a friday night fish fry is in order!

Turk

JB,

If we get a huge water push from spring rains(which is possible) then I'd look at the running sloughs in the backwaters up north, but other than that I'd stay away. The big lake also is more of a summer destination, if you fish the Lake on opener you'll be all by yourself out there and likely no walleyes to show for it. The narrows up and down the river will hold fish, with the best bets being from south to north Prescott, Kinni, and the Hudson channel. Nothing new here in these locations, they are safe bets for starters.

Keep catchin'

Turk

• 2 weeks later...

Is it the 28th of April or May 5th? I know there was confusion last year cuz of the whole "closest Sat. to may 1st deal" Wi. inland opens the 5th of may. MN. is the 12th.

I know for sure the WI opener is the 28th of April (heard it directly from the mouth of the DNR). I'm pretty sure its the same day for MN.

I drove along the river the other day and it was nothing but open water, I can't wait to get my boat out there!!!

From stillwater to taylors falls. All the good spots were just waiting for us to launch our boats.

8 years fishing the croix and the last 4 about the only place I fish period and I've never made it up that way, heck I've only fished above the kinni a dozen or so times over the years. I've found more than enough good fishing in the 6.5 miles from the kinni to prescott, is there something I'm missing out on, should I expand my range? CAN"T WAIT FOR THE OPENER OR FOR THE WHOLE SEASON FOR THAT MATTER!!

I've fished everywhere on the croix, honestly lake st. croix is the part of the river I know least about. I don't fish for walleyes when I'm out there, I'm targeting almost exclusively smallies or white bass. But I've caught just about everything that swims in the river. I like fishing the backwaters just because the scenery and solitude is nice. I like the upper croix (snake river area) for the same reason. Navigation up there can be a problem in the summer though.

As far as expanding your range goes, if that area works for you than stay with it. Although it can't hurt to expand. I don't know how the boat traffic is in the area anymore, but I used to do very well under and along the hudson bridge. The stillwater area is still productive too, although I'm not sure how far upstream you can go anymore before you get to the checkpoint. So I say do some exploring!