• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Trolling motor advice

MNFisherman06

I'm looking for some advice on a trolling motor. I'm upgrading my trolling motor from a 50 lb cable driven to a 70 lb minn kota PD. I own a 17 ft Tracker Targa. Options that I am considering:

1. Shaft length: 54" with universal sonar

60" with universal sonar - extra $50)

2. Universal Soar: extra $80 + $20 for adapter and I already have own the transducer for my other TM

3. Auto Pilot: there is 65 lb unit with US/AP 54" shaft - extra $70

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My primary concern is the shaft length. 60" seems huge, but my 48" comes out of the water all the time on windy days. The wife game me the OK and I don't want to screw it up. The wife's consent on a fishing purchase doesn't come along too often so there's a lot of pressure to get it right.

On an aluminum boat I would definately go with a 60" shaft. I have a 54" shaft on my glass boat but the bow sits lower to the water and doesn't come up as high as on an aluminum boat. I had 60" shafts on my aluminum boats.

If you already own the transducer and it's in good shape, I see no reason to get the universal sonar. If you didn't have the transducer, or if it needs to be replaced, then I would go universal sonar.

AutoPilot - that's up to you, and how you use the motor. I used to have it, haven't got it on my last few motors. I might get it on my next one, you never know.

Good luck.

I would go with or own transducer the universal doesn't give the target separation and bottom detail that the external can provide. I have the universal and choose the external for above reason's save the money and get the longer shaft you will like it a lot more. Just my 2 cents

Thanks for the replies. I leaning heavily towards ordering the 60" shaft without the transducer.

I do have one more question and that with the way Minn Kota stows away, what's the best way to run your transducer cord? I'm probably making this harder than it needs to be, but when you stow the mounting bracket slides the whole length of the shaft down to the power head. I don't see how you can tape your xducer cord to the shaft and be able to stow it. Is there something I am missing?

Thanks

That would be a little tricky.Ive got a Mnkta Maxim so that isnt an issue.Its definately something to consider.Ive got a glass boat and as mentioned above the longer shaft is a good idea.Keeping the motor in the water is important.Maybe someone who has this set up your looking at will chime in.

when i had mine, i taped it just above the bracket and the head, and then at the bottom by the motor. one has to be carefull when stowing it, but it worked.

You might wanna look at the co-pilot as well. I got one this year and it's awesome. Controlling the boat with a remote anywhere in the boat rocks. I have the remote mounts on three rods so it goes with me when I change out rods.

i second the copilot and autopilot. I wear the copilot around my neck. I have a 20' pontoon and I can walk around helping the kids and still control the boat. I leave the autopilot on most of the time and set the heading at the autopilot will automatically adjust to keep you pointed that direction. very handy.

If you plan on doing any shore line casting etc. You will never regret co-pilot and especially auto-pilot!

I would second the auto-pilot and co-pilot. I don't own my own boat yet, but my father has a 21' sylvan that he keeps at our cabin on winnie. He has the auto-pilot and in the past year or two put on the co-pilot and it helps a ton. Being able to fish in the back and control the boat with remote is awsome. Last year on opener my dad and i were the only ones that wanted to go out on opener. We had the cover over the front (arround trolling motor) and the canopy up fishing in rollers probably somewhere around 3-4ft and we could control the boat with a little remote that clips to your rod, really nice.

I've had the auto-pilot for several years. When it works, it's nice. However...most times after a few minutes of use the dang thing begins quickly rotating the motor on it own, sending the boat in a different direction, and I have to disable it. EXTREMELY frustrating. After it began happening the first year, I drove it down to Mankato and they did some work on it...swapped out the eletronic board I think. They also suggested that perhaps it wasn't getting full power from the battery. Whatever the cause it's still doing it to this day.

Maybe the newer units perform better but I wonder if anyone else has experienced these problems. Just be aware and ask questions.

I would go with the 60" that is what I have on an older crestliner and it works great. I never have a problem in waves the motor never comes out of the water, just be carefull in shallow and big waves.

Quote:

I do have one more question and that with the way Minn Kota stows away, what's the best way to run your transducer cord? I'm probably making this harder than it needs to be, but when you stow the mounting bracket slides the whole length of the shaft down to the power head. I don't see how you can tape your xducer cord to the shaft and be able to stow it. Is there something I am missing?

Thanks

That is the main reason why I bought the MinnKota Max with universal sonar. I know on the maximum's there isn't as much of an issue with the transducer cable taped to the shaft but the way the PowerDrives stow it may be an issue.

Most of the PowerDrives that I have seen the transducer cable is always loose on the shaft so it bows back some when the trolling motor is down. Not sure if that matters or not.