• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Thoughts on new truck

DTro

Question

I think the planets have finally aligned and I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on a truck.

For discussion sake let's use these numbers for a reference:

Budget of 20K or less (less is always better wink.gif)

Married with no kids

Drive approx 15-20k/yr

Small alum 14ft boat

No other toys to haul around yet (possible 4 wheeler purchase later this year)

4x4 for sure

I'm thinking I would like an outside box (non SUV) for the unmentionables that a catfisherman totes around wink.gif

I'm leaning heavily towards a double cab Tacoma. I've also eyed a few Ford Explorer Sportracs. The options/creature comforts you can get on a domestic vehicle blows away the Tacoma. On the other hand, none of my Toyotas have seen the repair shop yet.

I haven't ruled out a fullsize truck. Is the MPG gain worth the sacrifice in space?

Obviously this will have to be a used vehicle with my budget.

Opinions?

• Answers 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• DTro

• Big Dave2

• jltimm

• hanson

Top Posters For This Question

A 1/2 ton diesel would be SMART thinking on Dodges part! Not everyone needs a 3/4 ton or better?

Yep, for model year 2009 you'll be able to order a 1/2 ton Ram with a Cummins light-duty diesel engine in it. It won't have the current 6.7L Cummins engine, it will be an all-new engine. Should be very interesting!

Spent the day at the Toyota dealer today. Drove a Tacoma and 4Runner.....wow, IMO it wasn't even close. Same year (2004), same miles and same price (actually the Taco was 1500 more), the 4Runner blew the Tacoma away. In ride, comfort, steering, space, interior design, just about everything, except for the box.

I was very impressed with the 4Runner.

The only downfall is the price shocked.gif

Quote:

What's the price ?

The few I've looked at have been around 20k, give or take a couple k.

Quote:

The few I've looked at have been around 20k, give or take a couple k.

20k, eh? A guy can buy a whole lot of lightly used truck for 20k.

Guess if I'm plopping down 20 large, its going to be for a full size truck.

Lots of used full size GMCs, Chevs, and Fords in that ballpark.

Although the Chevy's, and others are nice.When you sell them in a few years the resale for the Toyota will be quite a bit better than the "big" three.

Quote:

Although the Chevy's, and others are nice.When you sell them in a few years the resale for the Toyota will be quite a bit better than the "big" three.

Well if you pay more in the beginning the resale should be higher

Well, I pulled the trigger on a 4runner yesterday.

I drove a bunch of vehicles and I kept coming back to this one. It tows plenty, has lots of goodies and can deliver a steady 20mpg (got 24 on an extended drive today).

Looked like a Toyota dealership in my driveway today

toyotasSmall.jpg

Car is currently available on CarSoup wink.gif

dtro - Congratulations! I just joined the 4Runner family back in November and I could not be happier.

Since purchasing mine I've noticed how many OLD 4Runners are still on the roads today. That says something. Enjoy!

DB

Quote:

You guys are all refering to "quad cab" as a huge cab.

The dodge quad cab is no more than an extended cab with 4 REAL DOORS. They open from the outside, not suicide doors.

Dodge does make a mega cab, that is the one that all of your friends will want you to drive them to red lake in.

I am no Dodge salesman
and I like all the brands but it just sounds like you are in a similar situation as me and I think that for the money I bought the perfect truck. Not too big, not too small but just right. IMO you should at least go down to your local Dodge dealer and take a look at what I mean.

And BTW, you can buy a new truck for under $24,000, or at least you could in '04 but I think there are still deals like that now.

I feel the need to change this quote since I AM now a salesman at a Dodge dealer in Shakopee. I start on monday, it will be a big change for me. I hope to sell a lot of those HEMIS!

Dave

Apperently you're the only exclusively silver Toyota dealership as well. grin.gif

That 4 runner will be a nice ride for you!!

Email sent.

Quote:

I tend to think it is quite a bit driving style thing. The harder you accelerate and more stop and go driving you do the worse it is gonna get.

I have never personally talked to anyone that had a Dodge truck that was happy with the gas economoy. That was the reason I went with Ford, that and I have some pretty bad things about the trannys too.

I am happy with mine....I average about 18 MPG and on the freeway around 20. I got 20mpg pulling a 16' boat to Canada last year, and was loaded with gear! That was doing around 70 mpg.

2003 Dodge 2500- 4x4 - Diesel - 35" BFG tires

Nice roomy cab in back for passengers (4 door), can tow pretty much anything I would ever want, can haul pretty much anything I want.....and get good mileage (IMO) to boot.

oh....and I traded in my 2003 Hemi (same exact truck only reg cab- 1500) and that thing never got over 12 mpg with the 35" tires on it. It was fun to drive though!!!

The tranny issues are a thing of the past.....that was the mid to late 90's 2nd gen trucks.