• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
DARK30

High Water On The Way

DARK30

I do believe when this snow starts melting we're gonna see some real high river levels. If we get a lot of rain to boot, she'll be up into the trees for sure.

Hopefully it won't stay high for long but we might as well be prepared for the high water options this spring. Looking to smaller rivers like the Blue Earth or way up the creeks will my focus when the time comes to wet the ol net.

Last year it was over the bank at the fishing opener but didn't stay long. This year we got tons of snow on the ground and when we get the rain to go with it...we'll be looking at fishing way off the main river for awhile. This is some my favorite types of fishing. Times like these you'll catch more fish in your waders back in the woods than you will out of a boat. Fishing the right spot in a flooded creek bed far from the main river is really a hoot! I admit I prefer fishing on foot but when the river is approaching the underside of bridges, thats about the only option anyway.

All you'll need is your favorite little crank or plastic rig. Maybe you'll even need a little OFF for the skeets but standing back in the brush up to your knees fishing a shallow rocky creek bed can be some of the best fishing you'll have all year. The beauty of this approach is that any creek entering the river will have a strike zone somewhere. You need to find that spot thats keeping the fish concentrated in a short stretch of water. You can reach some of these areas by boat and sometimes you can't get there by land anyway because of location and trespassing issues. Sometimes you can park the boat,get out and walk a ways up the creek. You need to get away from the dirty water.

The "mix" area where the cleaner creek water meets the muddy river backwater is the spot! In most cases this water is shallow being 1to 3 feet deep in a small creek. Bait is key also.. this area also attracks the bait. Many times I've stepped into a flooded creek back in the woods and caught loads of walleyes and white bass just as its getting dark.

Ah, the rights of spring in the Minnesota River Valley! Get your Agates,your Morels, and your Fishin...IN! grin.gif

>>JONESIN IN BELLE PLAINE<<

riverrat56

Finding those full creeks is a blast. Look for that mudline and the fish treat it just like a steep breakline.

I don't see the river getting really high with out some significant rain though....the river is real real low right now.

DARK30

The gauges are hooking upwards. I got a little creek in the back thats really moving since this morning.

Time to look for agates grin.gif

rushing

We should be in pretty good shape if we dont get too much rain before all the snow is gone.