• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Julia Panfish

riversmallmouth35

I was hoping on going out to julia this weekend if the snow lets me. Have never fished it before but thought I would give it a chance since there shouldnt be as many people out there. I am looking for some consistant panfish. Are there some nice panfish in the lake our should I try somewhere else around here.

Thanks for any help smile.gifsmile.gif

This lake is a touchy one in the area, it used to have some pretty good action, but got super overfished the last 3-4 years. There may be a few decent ones left in it, but the crappies have always been too small for me, I only keep sunfish outta there.

Fished it two weeks ago, released some that were 10 1/2", but the majority were 7-8" also released. Now that the traffic is down and the houses gone it would be worth a try, as mentioned there are some decent sunnies to be had just off the weed line. good luck and hang on. Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Just fished Julia tonight. The bite hit as everyone was leaving grin.gif Have to stay out after dark for the crappies. Let several 10 inchers go. I kept four 14's for dinner. I have to say Julia is still the best Crappie lake for me around Saint Cloud.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

it dont matter he can eat them and let the 10s grow to be 14s and then eat them too

That's true but those 14's could be 15-16's if they live long enough and if they don't get eaten by predators.

Thats kind of the end of life for a crappie at 14-16in isn't it? They don't live much longer according to information i've read. Personally i would rather harvest the larger fish and let the 7-10 go back in the lake for a few more years of good spawning. After all what do those 10in grow into......?

I know whenever I catch a crappie like that I always think to myself I am glad that the person who caught this fish before me released it and gave me the opportunity to catch it also.

I also heard somewhere that those larger crappies are more successful come spawning time than those in the 8-10" range, and as far as i'm concerned, those 8-10" taste a whole lot better anyway.

Quote:

I know whenever I catch a crappie like that I always think to myself I am glad that the person who caught this fish before me released it and gave me the opportunity to catch it also.

I also heard somewhere that those larger crappies are more successful come spawning time than those in the 8-10" range, and as far as i'm concerned, those 8-10" taste a whole lot better anyway.

bingo!

This is the first time i have been able to have time to post this since being back from spring break.

My brother in law an i went to Julia on the 10th and 11th and i could not believe how big of slobs people are. There were bottoms of fish houses on the ice, disposable propane tanks, pop/beer bottles and cans, styrofoam minnow buckets, and all kinds of trash. I can't believe that people could be so dissrespectful. If you carry it on the lake, you should carry it off the lake. I also had a runin with a the loudest snowmobile i have heard. He buzzed around the lake for a little while, then drove between my brother in law and i, who were less than twenty feet apart, once to ask a question, that i was alright with, then a second time for no reason. If you want to ride a snowmobile on a lake, that is fine with me, just be curtious and stay away from people that are trying to fish.

wow! sorry to start a controversy. I just kept the larger ones as the few that I caught provided just the amount of food that I desired. I let more of the smaller ones go...ie, chances of success for spawn is much better w/ 2 or 3 10's vs 1 14." Maybe my thinking is wrong...but I surely did not intend to take away from others angling success. By the way...those 14's taste just as good as any! I certainly have seen a drop-off in size as of late on Julia(this last week)...the bigger fish have gone to other parts of the water than my honey hole

If we all are legal fisherman who abide by the rules and limits why do we need to question others who may not practice the same catch, release, or eat methods of fishing. I never hear "wow what a good day fishing man" or "how did they taste" on this forum, it just seems that someone always thinks they know "this is the way to fish because i do it this way" and how others should fish as they do. Everyone has their own beliefs and practices. As long as they are legal why should we complain? Just an idea....Besides, if its worth the fillet/meal/whatever.....i say yummy....eat up....fish=food last i checked

"Legal" isn't necessarily "ethical" or "smart". You're right, probably a waste of my breath to preach such things because if you don't understand by now you probably won't ever anyways. It all has to do with how you were raised and who introduced you to the sport, etc. I'm not saying guys shouldn't take a meal of fish but some people really need to figure it out.

SA

i usually keep the smaller fish and release the bigger ones and thats what i'm trying to teach my kids but is this the right way of doing things? i don't know but its what i believe helps out in the long run. everybody is entitled to fish the way that they want within the law it is just that nobody fishes exactly the way the next guy does but we all think our way is the best and right way...just my 2 cents.

Quote:

i don't know but its what i believe helps out in the long run. everybody is entitled to fish the way that they want within the law it is just that nobody fishes exactly the way the next guy does but we all think our way is the best and right.

MP, that was a great post. This site is full of people who probably don't get out fishing as much as they might want, and have nothing better to do than sit in front of their computer and whine about what and how other people are fishing. People have been keeping big fish for years and years, don't tell me that your grandpa or dad hasn't kept 26" walleyes or 34" northerns to fry up because you aren't that high and mighty. Sometimes I wonder why people even post what they catch, because all that happens is it gets picked apart. confused.gif

Donk you are right...i've even kept some large fish thats why i put "i usually keep smaller ones". but not always for example i am having a 29.5" walleye mounted right now. it is the biggest walleye i have ever caught and there is a lot of meaning behind the fish since it was mine and my boys first ever week long fishing trip we took together. i love all the info on this site and it has helped me out greatly with new fishing techniques,

I agree maybe people should just keep their opinions to themselves. There is no right or wrong way of doing things unless you are breaking the law. Everyone is raised differently and just because you think it is bad doesn't neccessarily mean there is something wrong with it. Anyways, weren't we talking about the crappie bite on lake Julia?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Opinions are alright. However personal attacks are not. Selective harvest is what you'll hear a lot here on HSO. Buckets or stringers full on BIG fish are more and more a thing of the past. A few exceptions out there of course but the general rule. I used to keep lots of big walleyes, bass and panfish. Now almost all of those big fish go back. Only exception for me are those URL slabs. Almost all of those are big fish. Around here those big slabs go back for me.

Good Luck next time you get out.