• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hey im looking at hitting the Minnesota this spring and summer for sum hot action from what ive heard from others. I have fished from shore by henderson had some good cat action. Could anyone give me any tips from where to go from the jordan access what to use what i can expect to catch i have never fished with a boat and any help would be appreciated thanks

-----

I can sleep when im dead lets go fishing

I'm pretty sure nobody online is going to offer up specific "good" fishing locations on the river. All my spots have either been found by trial & error or through friends of mine, that is too valuable to be sharing. I like my friends and sure don't want them mad at me. smile.gif

With that said, I can tell you that the Jordan area is typically infested with wood and snags, although the location & amount of the snags changes yearly. Because of that, fishing locations change yearly as well. Locations that are good in May & June probably are not going to be good in August due to water level fluctuations.

Best advice is to get out on the river and check things out once summer rolls around. Look for holes, snags, cutbanks, eddies, etc and try fishing them. You may have to put a couple nights in before stumbling onto something that works.

Did I read you are fishing from a boat?

What you going to catch? If things go right, hopefully a big flathead catfish. smile.gif

The river bridge in Jordan is new so things have changed a bit. The East side upstream is all gravel with spring water seeping through it into the river. The faster current will be on this side but its a good area during lower water levels. I haven't checked the area real close since the new construction but it looks like some nice new rip rap has been created directly under the bridge...this used to be a good spot casting off the gravel towards the underside of the bridge.

If you feel like hoofin it, theres a trail along the river on the East side as well. This will lead you to some interesting spots both up or down.

Belle Plaine also has a new river bridge. I'll be checkin this out pretty close this year too...has some nice deep water. Blakeley has a new bridge..Chaska has a new bridge too. The hwy 169 crossing at Le Sueur is also getting a facelift...must be some extra tax dollars floating around! wink.gif

I moved to Jordan about 6 years ago and while I feel I know the river around here pretty well, there is so much to be discovered yet. Every year I learn a little more and a little more. It always helps to know a local or three to help out in the process (you know who you are....thanks wink.gif)

Anyways like what was said earlier, lots of wood in the area.

I would concentrate on the big snags and any bottom transition areas. You can spot these pretty well by studying the shoreline. If you see the bank change from mud to anything else (rock, sand, etc) try those areas. More than likely you will also find depth contours in those area to work.

The big thing with a river is that it is constantly changing. There are spots that will produce year in and out, but for the most part, those fish will adapt to the ever changing conditions whether it be river level or location of log jams.

I will say this, you can toss out a bait right at the landing and catch a fish, I've caught many there. It's also a good spot to "sleep off" a long night out in the boat grin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Dark,

I've got a question. Can you get past the "Carver Rapids" by boat? Last year I couldn't get by the Carver railroad bridge and it may be that way again this year so a guy would have to put in by Jordan and head downstream. Thanks.

High water- Yes.

Low(er) water- No.

I would say most of the summer it would be pretty risky with a prop.

Really low water can be an issue in a few stretches with even a small boat n motor. Moderate levels can be traveled just fine but knowing the river is a big plus. I would say go slow ... watch your graph and read the river. The trestle in carver may or may not be open due to wood jams...I know someone cleaned it out enough to pass last year.

Going upstream, you wouldn't even need to get past the rapids. Fishing above the rapids can be good but then you'll want to start at Jordan like you say and go down. Actually, a float trip would be fun...just pull the motor up when you go through the rock areas and be careful.

Thanks every one. I just don't want to drift down to the trestle and not be able to get back up to a landing or down to the Carver landing. Although, I've got a pretty good wife. I think she would drop beer and food down to me from the trestle and I could just fish there until Fall! My boss doesn't read stuff like this so I should be able to come up with some reason to get me short term disability or something!

If you're going to do the float trip you need to drop off a car at the boat landing you plan to drift to. You don't go upstream. It's a pain in the arse, but beats a broken skag or prop.

That's like a little IQ test!!! Let's drift down to the next landing and THEN try to figure out how to get home!! I do most of my river fishing by myself and I motor up as far as I want and then work my way back down. I just get in less trouble that way and always feel that if I can motor up I can always get back down. For most years you can get up past the Carver bridge but for most of last year it was blocked with timber. There's plenty of fishing between Carver and Shakopee but there are some nice areas between the rapids and the trestle so you either have to go down past the rapids or up past the trestle. Unless you are in a boat small enough to portage, a float wouldn't do you much good if you're trying to go from Jordan to that Carver landing but couldn't get by the trestle......

I have never fished the the area by the trestle with a boat How deep are the holes around there? Just curious for when i fish from shore.

Depends on the water level but there are lots of holes that go 10- 12 feet or deeper. Some seem to hold fish and others don't depending on the time of year and what else, like wood, is around the hole.

Capt QS - ah yes the log jam on the trestle. I sure hope that's clear this season. 99.9% of the time I motor as far up as I can or want to then drift back.

I did a float trip once and it was fun, but ya you need 2 people and an extra car then mess with going back and forth between the launches. Ugh - I should've got a jet

E-Bass,

I've done those floats on the Little Fork and Big Fork and it is fun. Later in the summer I'd be up for it on the Minnesota. And if the trestle is blocked when we get there, maybe someone would drop down enough beer and bait for two guys!! On the Minnesota I mostly fish for cats. I've been going to the Mississippi for bass and muskies so far.