• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Vikes cut Wiggins & Smoot

Bluegills1512

Vikings | Smoot cut

Thu, 1 Mar 2007 14:40:20 -0800

ESPNews reports the Minnesota Vikings have cut CB Fred Smoot.

Vikings | Wiggins cut

Thu, 1 Mar 2007 14:32:00 -0800

ESPNews reports the Minnesota Vikings have cut TE Jermaine Wiggins

So now those 2 players are gone as well as Brad Johnson. Other notable players that were cut today were QB Drew Bledsoe of the Cowboys, WR Joe Horn of the Saints, LB Steve Foley, and WR Keenan McCardell of the Chargers, and LB Joey Porter of the Steelers.

I also saw the Lions made some deals with trading CB Dre Bly to the Broncos for RB Tatum Bell and OT George Foster and a 5th round pick. Then the Broncos signed RB Jamal Lewis who the Ravens let go. Pretty good deal I would say for the Broncos they get Bly, and put him on the other side of Champ Bailey so you got basically 2 shut down corners, perfect for that conference. Then sign Lewis that was pretty good front office work. The Lions got a good "burner" back in Tatum Bell and dependable offensive lineman in George Foster.

With the 2 cuts in Wiggins and Smoot the vikes open up their salary cap even more to possibly close or over $40 million. So I expect Ziggy to spend some money this offseason and I wouldn't doubt we make a run for Calvin Johnson to trade up. Plus we get Greenway back this year so its like have 2 1st round picks for this year's camp! I guess all you can look at is the positives after the horses**t season the vikes had!

dont think cutting wiggins was a good thing smutt i can understand but wiggy he has been a play maker for the vikes we already have a less than desirable recieving core. oh wait childress is trying to create a new play book "run chester run"

The salary cap number isn't nearly that high. With the recent contract extensions and signing bonuses we were at about $15 million in cap space. Also dumping these players doesn't totally eliminate their salary number against the cap.

I think we have 30 mill to spend but I don't think it's a very good year for free agent talent.

yes I am sorry my figures were a bit high. I thought I read somewhere we would have around $30-33 million in cap room even without cutting players like Wiggins, Rosenthal and Smoot. But I must of read wrong, anyways if we are close to $30 million thats still a large lump some to spend, and teams will keep cutting star players or will want to trade. So I hope the vikes' front office keeps their eyes open. I also hope we have a better draft than last years! I forgot to mention we also get Erasmus James back from injury, and Tank Williams at safety, so our secondary should be sound even with the loss of Smoot, but I see us drafting another corner again this year.

Just an opinion question for you guys but who do you see us honestly signing as free agents or who we honestly will draft?? I think we are't going to draft Quinn and David Carr is out of the question, as I have read in other posts.

I think the Vikings "threat" to take Quinn is just a ploy to get a player or two from another team. Just my opinion. I don't think we'll take Quinn.

IMO, we just flat out need a receiving corps. We've got nothing at all right now. Bad thing is, there aren't any star receivers out there, but some solid ones.

We just need guys that can get open and catch the ball on a consistent basis. Nothing dazzling, nothing extraordinary, just a couple of solid reliable receivers.

Oh....and right side O-linemen too!

Whatever there going to do. the better pick it up from the last few years. this program right now, in my opinion, is in the dumps. they need to start doing something right, and get players in there that are going to help them out. Not play them one year, and understand there not going to help the team. my .02 smirk.gif

No loss about Smoot, I think they never called Wiggins number enough. He will get picked up and play well for someone else. ( my first 07 prediction )this offense is in a mess..

The salary cap thing is very complicated. confused.gif About two minutes after I posted I came across some new info that says we are in that $30 million range. I do know the salary cap was raised about 30% this year so most teams have some money to spend. When it's all said and done I'm thinking we'll have somewhere in the $25 million range.

well we need to get a team together. Im sick of watching the games and wondering how bad we are going to lose, instead of wondering if we have a shot at winning?