• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

English cockers from "gundogbreeze"?

Big Dave2

There were some english field bred cockers for sale maybe a year ago in the dogs for sale forum by a member called "Gundogbreeze". Does anyone here have one of those pups? If so I am just curious how the pup is doing?

I almost got one of these dogs but was just not ready to pull the trigger yet at the time. Just wondering what I missed. Labsforme has me thinking again.

We have 2 english cockers, 1 out of "gundogbreeze" that is now 4. Same parents as the litter of a year ago. Wouldn't trade her for anything. The other cocker is out of similar breeding from a guy from Iowa. Won't trade her either! We run a shooting preserve and use them as guide dogs. They have all the drive and desire of the big dogs. They last all day in the field, and are willing to go in some of the tangled cover that labs don't want to go into. And at the end of the day, can come in the house and be a big part of the family without taking up too much space!! Our cockers are in that 30 pound range. I think that "gundogbreeze" is planning on another litter. Love those little dogs!!

Thanks for the reply gundoglily,

Are you in contact with gundogbreeze? Or do you think that this litter will be posted here on FM again? I am getting close to making a purchase.

Thanks,

Dave

I have had a number of labs over the years as well as a couple of english cockers. I currently have an english cocker. Since I do very little waterfowling and most of my hunting is grouse and pheasant, I have gravitated to the english cocker mostly because I have a preference for their natural quartering ability and I like the fact that they tend to hunt-in fairly close. Mine is a hardworker and usually works at distances of 10-20 yards. If you decide to buy an english cocker, be sure you buy one from solid field stock. Like springers, there are almost 2 breeds within the breed (field and show). You might want to consider attending the Minnesota Hunting Spaniel Hunt Test and/or Field Trial in Glencoe. The hunt test is May 11 and 12th and you can watch a number of english cockers and springers work at that event. On may 19 and 20 there is a field trial as well, and it would be another opportunity to see alot of english cocker's in action. You will find many knowledgeable people there and would also be able to get information on litters. I haven't looked recently but I am sure there are a few well bred litters available within the midwest. Good luck

Another good source for english cocker pups is Jay Parrish out of Hampton Iowa. If you do a google search on "Blue Chip Kennels" you can get his number. He has some incredible little dogs, both "gundogbreeze" and my cockers are from his breeding.

Reeltimes,

Thanks for the info. I was looking for a hunt test or field trial that would have some english cockers in it. Which one do you think would be the best to go and watch some cockers work?

Gundoglily,

Thanks for the info on the breeder in Hampton. I couldn't seem to find their name anywhere.

Do you happen to know anything about Roettger Ridge kennels in North Branch or English cocker kennel in Hugo?

type in "blue chip kennels" in either google or yahoo and it should be the first one listed. I just tried both and his kennel was the first one listed. If you still have problems email me at: ahhc at midwestinfo dot net and I will give you his phone number and such.

Sorry don't know much about either of the other 2 places you listed, but I am sure they have good dogs also.

Thanks gundoglily, I did find them right away when you gave me the name "blue chip". I just didn't know the name of the kennel before that and could not find them.

Thanks again and if you hear anything about gundogbreeze's litter please pass it on to me.

Thanks,

Dave

Actually, my dog is from Jay Parrish at Blue Chip. Mine is an all liver (little white on chest) english cocker. I like the dog alot. Tony Roetgger at Roetger Ridge does alot of breeding as well. A friend of mine has a pup from Tony. His breedings are all excellent too. Tony is actually a spaniel trainer and I have been down there a couple of times to train. Tony also does some trialing. I haven't personally done any spaniel trialing myself although I participated in a hunt test a couple years ago and did ok (completed). I am thinking about participating in the hunt test in May, so let me know if you're going to be there and perhaps we can connect. The hunt test is open to all spaniels, so you will see a mix of springers and some cockers. Sometimes a boykin. The trial is an english cocker only event.

I think I'll try to make it to that hunt test too. I've never been to one. Might be a lot of fun.

I would really like to go to the trial event but I will be gone fishing that weekend at the horseshoe chain.

Thanks for the info.

Does Major ave. hunt club in Glencoe not have a website or can I just not find it?

Dave, Google the Minnesota Hunting Spaniel Association website and you can get all the details on the events. Also, another website [Note from admin: Please read forum rules. No unauthorized links. You can exchange links via email.] has more field cocker info as well.

Here are a couple of other links to articles (you may or may not have seen)on the breed that were published in Gun Dog Magazine:

[Note from admin: Please read forum rules. No unauthorized links. You can exchange links via email.]

Thanks for the googlr tip. I was using a different search engine and could not find it.

Don't worry about those links Reeltime because I think I have already seen what you were going to show me. Those were some good articles in gundog magazine about cockers.

Thanks for all the help. Maybe I will see you in Glencoe in May.

Sounds good. Right now I am planning to be there for the May event. Good luck with your dog plans.

Hope to see you there. I would like to get a firsthand look at that pooch of yours! Any pics you would like to share?

Dave, I'll see what I can find. Haven't posted a pic on this site, so will have to try and figure it out. Bill

Sorry to open a can of worms. I think you need to have your pics on a hosting site and link to it. I have never posted a pic before either but that is what I had to do to get an avatar. Don't go through any trouble on my account. Hopefully I will see that dog up close in may anyway. smile.gif

Sounds good. As I said, I am planning to run a few events this year and plan to be at that one. Not sure how familiar you're with the breed but I have had a couple of them as well as a few labs over the years. MN area actually has 3-4 kennels that produce high quality, field-bred pups. If there is anything I can do to help, feel free to ask.