• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Marcum LX-5 Question

LXHunter

Question

Quick question, today when I was running my LX-5 I noticed something strange. As soon as my shanty was set up and my holes were augered I set up my LX-5. I knew the depth of water I was in so I immediately went to the 40' range and pressed Zoom as I was going to set a 10' zoom range between 16' and 26' in 30' of water. As I was using the DN button to move the zoom window down in the water column, I noticed that the two blinking yellow lights delineating the zoom window were not the solid bars that I typically see. The bottom bar flickered out as it moved through the water column as did the top one when it moved through a certain area. Concerned, I sent a jig down and it also flickered out in the general area. The zoomed-in area on the left side of the dial worked just fine. I turned the unit on and off several times and it still reacted the same way. When I set up and used the unit in normal mode it worked just fine. Finally, I just let it run a few minutes, and the problem went a way. Have any of you experienced this? Typically, I don't use the Zoom feature right away and I was wondering if the unit just needed to warm up. Also it wasn't very cold today, right around freezing, so I don't think that was the problem. I plan on contacting Marcum regarding this, but any input you all may have would be greatly appreciated.

15 answers to this question

I have never had that problem, and I use the zoom a lot when fishing deeper water. I would be interested to hear what Marcum has to say about it. Let us know.

Contact MarCum cust service... they will take care of you.. great people to deal with!

Shaved ice frozen onto the bottom of the transducer (trapped air bubbles)?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Quote:

Contact MarCum cust service... they will take care of you.. great people to deal with!

I agree with this. Mine had a transformer blow on it and I needed it for Slabfest. I sent it to them on Tuesday afternoon and had it back on my doorstep and working great by Friday afternoon. Pretty quick turn around and they were willing to do whatever it took to get it back to me on time for my trip.

I really appreciated how they were wiling to go the extra mile for me. laugh.gif

I know I'm hijacking but since we are on Marcum questions, how do you read the depth when you go to the 40ft scale? What do the various rings in the center mean? The book is pretty vague and it doesn't seem to be the same as the vexilar. Thanks.

If your in 40' depth setting you need to double the 20' outer white scale setting and you have your depth. So if your in 35' of water it will show up as 17.5' on the outer white scale in the 40' depth setting. Same with the 160' depth setting you would double the 80' scale to get the correct depth.

The book is pretty generic but with MarCum's you don't need a manual or DVD to figure it out. Time on the ice and getting to know what your seeing in front of you are the best way of learning the units. Not many guys I know will whip out a manual while fishing, find your depth and play around with it, try the features, learn them, know them and enjoy the ride. It takes some longer if it's there first unit.. Try to schedule a trip with a friend that has flasher experience and knows how to use it. After a few trips you will be an expert and the manual will stay put in the box from whence it came.

Quote:

The book is pretty generic but with MarCum's you don't need a manual or DVD to figure it out. Time on the ice and getting to know what your seeing in front of you are the best way of learning the units...

You know, Tim, I'll agree with a lot of what you say there. But you gotta admit, the Marcum "manual" could use more than just a bit of improvement. It's like the good folks at Marcum spend 110% of their energy on the product (and don't get me wrong, I appreciate that!), but then they've got nothing left for much more than an advertising pamplet for the documentation end of things. How about some pages of specs, drawings of different dial readings (not just that one photo) and parts drawings, some info on batteries, ducers, etc. Oh well, at least I can get the info I need on FM... smirk.gif

[quote It's like the good folks at Marcum spend 110% of their energy on the product (and don't get me wrong, I appreciate that!)

That's right schweady grin.gif, but maybe they don't want to give out any trade secrets wink.gifgrin.gif Anyhow I just sent your request to the top... Thanks

Hey Tim and/or Dietz,

I have new LX5, and it works fine, except I noticed it very loud. I thought, from reading here, that the Vex's should be louder than my LX-5. So I was trying to see what is causing it, and it is not electric noise at all. When I turn it off, you still hear the "scratching" as the unlit dial spins to a stop. So it is something "mechanical". Almost like metal brushing sound. Any thoughts? And do you know if I can drop it off in Brainerd in summer, as I have cabin near there. I know I will most likely just call them after the season and find out, but you seem to have the best advice, thanks!

I do it the lazy mans way and go to the 80ft setting and read the 0-80 ft red circle to get my depth reading then go back to the 40 ft setting .No multiplying to do in my head this way . wink.gif

TD

BoxMN - Sounds like somethings out of alignment... Contact MarCum customer service at the end of the season or now and they will give it the once over and get it back to you fast! Don't forget to put the RMA number on the box.

Yeah, I checked for ice on the transducer and the battery was freshly charged, so it wasn't either of those that caused my problem. I tested my unit on the countertop today (couldn't fish because it's been raining since the am and hasn't stopped frown.gif) and wasn't able to recreate the problem. Contacted Marcum Customer Service and they indicated they hadn't heard of such a problem but that they would take care of me if it reappeared and offered to take a look at it after the ice season ended. So all and all I was happy with Marcum's prompt response to my concerns and I will definetly take them up on their offer at the end of the season.

Quote:

I do it the lazy mans way and go to the 80ft setting and read the 0-80 ft red circle to get my depth reading then go back to the 40 ft setting .No multiplying to do in my head this way .
wink.gif

TD

I'm new with the lx-5. Trapperdirk, I like the quick way to read the depth never tried it but now i will, usally i'm fishing in 30 ft. Great tip, wondering if other lx-5 owners have more tips on using it.

One thing I do at the start of a new day is turn the sens up higher than normal if using zoom, then let the jig/etc. get down to bottom and then fine tune it AFTER it gets down to where I want it in the zoom. Just seems easier when you hit a new spot for the day that might be different than the last spot/lake/lure you fished.