• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Brad Johnson gone

Double D

Well in case you haven't heard it by now, the Vikings officially released Brad Johnson this afternoon.

Now what?

DD

He's a good guy, but I don't think he is a NFL starting QB anymore, however he is better than Tavarius!!! I was just dissappointed that "Chili(Childress)" didn't go with him. Hopefully they will deal for Carr or sign Garcia. I just hope Chili has a better year this year. If you are gonna talk the big game, you better start producing!!!

Garcia has proved what he can do with a line that gives him no time like when he was with the Browns. Why is it the Vikings almost always go with the passed his prime players in the QB position. Lets give the young guys a chance. At least Carr can take a hit and get back up. Garcias best days are behind him. He also wants to play for a ring, better chance in Denver then MN. I would love the Vikings to get Kerney and mabye Clements.

Johnson had nothing to work with last season and it didn't help that Chili wasn't willing to play to his strengths.

many people blame johnson for the lack of offense sure he was part of it bu definately not the only one to blame for instance how many crucial 3rd down passes did "butterfingers williamson" drop? how many of brads interceptions were clearly result of having no time to throw? finally how about the horsecrap play calling by childress. brad was a decent quarterback but think he is no longer of starter quality. hope we dont go after another washed up arm we need someone who can start for several years because gonna take a couple before we are a super bowl caliber team.

things weren't so bad the last time the queens went with an ex-eagles QB cool.gif

I for one am sad to see Brad go. He has a boat-load of talent, but I think the west coast style of offense does not work well for him or for the players we have right now. Johnson can make things happen, but when an offense is designed with a bunch of timing routes, short passes, etc, there is little time for anything if the line does not hold up. We have no deep threat, young and inexperienced players, etc. There is more to this whole team than a quarterback. So...those of you who say good riddance to Brad honestly are a bit ignorant. There is much more to a whole team effort than one player. As the saying goes, there is no I in team. He didn't have the time to make things happen, but yet because the quarterback is a "spotlight" position, he takes all the grief.

Brad will land somewhere, and he will get some snaps yet. I hope he finds a team where his talent matches the style of offense (that I feel) would fit his abilities better.

Steve

For an offense that was designed with timing routes, I sure didn't see any. And these short hitters...I miss Randy Moss.

While I respect Johnson for what he's accomplished in the league it's obvious he's well past his prime. The only offense he could possibly be sucessful in is the WCO. I think you are seeing things through rose colored glasses if you think he still has a boat loat of talent.

As for you calling people ignorant because they don't share your opinion......well, you do the math.

I think Johnson still has it. You could have put Dan Marino in last year and we still would have had the same record. Terrible recievers, terrible O line. Running game was all we had. Chili better produce first 5 games or get rid of him. I think letting wiggins go was a mistake too, but will have to see.

Quote:

While I respect Johnson for what he's accomplished in the league it's obvious he's well past his prime. The only offense he could possibly be sucessful in is the WCO. I think you are seeing things through rose colored glasses if you think he still has a boat loat of talent.

As for you calling people ignorant because they don't share your opinion......well, you do the math.

O.K..I will do the math (I happen to teach the stuff) and coach as well. You go back and look at what Brad did when Daunte went down. He took the team in stride and was able to do things daunte could not. THAT is called experience in knowing what works and does not work given the various defense schemes that were being used. He was able to audible to correct plays, and the offensive line allowed time for things to develop downfield

With the transition to a west-coast offense, this does not fit Brad's abilities as well as other styles which allow him to drop back more and have time to let things develop. Right now, the Vikings are in transition, and have very little talent in the receiving corps...not much to work with and things didn't develop, nor did the line hold up enough to allow things to. That is not on Brad's shoulders

Now...does that mean Johnson is in his prime? No...but he still has it. Give him the right offensive schemes and he can do plenty. I've watched him from when he was a rookie

And..by ignorant when you don't substantiate your argument, you have very little to stand on. That is just like a geometric proof, or a lawyer making a case in a courtroom One cannot prove something with nothing to back it up..THAT is ignorant.

Steve

I don't claim to be any math teacher, a coach or an ignorant football fan but in my opinion and just my opinion Brad Johnson doesn't have it any more. Even when he did have it is was only average to good.

There was a poster that stated we can't put all the blame on Johnson and I totally agree with that. But then we can't give him all the credit either for when he came in for Dante after his injury. What Brad was good at that year was not making mistakes against very very poor teams. The defense is what really contributed to winning many of those games. Numbers - b4 the Dante injury the defense was giving up 27.6 points a game, after 16.7. That is huge. They also changed the offensive scheme with Brad, not taking as many chances down field and many short check off type passes. A line for brad every week was almost identical 16 for 27 for 162 yards and td. We only beat two teams with winning records with Brad at qb that year. The Giants, when we had 3 td returns, punt, kick and int and the Bears when their starters didn't play much of the game at all. Maybe Dante does the same thing, maybe not, but the teams Dante were up against were a little better than the ones brad was.

Unfortunately we could of kept him to be a mentor. But maybe that isn't what he wanted, but unfortunatly that is all he is going to get. I don't see any NFL teams picking him up to be their starter only a back-up.

He has the smarts but the physical ability has declined to a point where he can't throw the ball far enough or hard enough. He can't move in the pocket either. The WCO is mainly a lot of play action and short timing passes which is about all he can do. It's not like he can throw deep outs or crossing patterns anymore. If you look at the numbers and watch the games you can see there isn't much left in the tank. I gotta admit he was one of the better QBs the Vikes have had in my lifetime. Especially the first time around.

Ignorant: not knowing or lacking education.

Ignorance: the state of not knowing.

I know what I see. I'd also not call others ignorant just because they don't agree with me.

Have a nice day. smile.gif

Quote:

I don't claim to be any math teacher, a coach or an ignorant football fan but in my opinion and just my opinion Brad Johnson doesn't have it any more. Even when he did have it is was only average to good.

There was a poster that stated we can't put all the blame on Johnson and I totally agree with that. But then we can't give him all the credit either for when he came in for Dante after his injury. What Brad was good at that year was not making mistakes against very very poor teams. The defense is what really contributed to winning many of those games. Numbers - b4 the Dante injury the defense was giving up 27.6 points a game, after 16.7. That is huge. They also changed the offensive scheme with Brad, not taking as many chances down field and many short check off type passes. A line for brad every week was almost identical 16 for 27 for 162 yards and td. We only beat two teams with winning records with Brad at qb that year. The Giants, when we had 3 td returns, punt, kick and int and the Bears when their starters didn't play much of the game at all. Maybe Dante does the same thing, maybe not, but the teams Dante were up against were a little better than the ones brad was.

Unfortunately we could of kept him to be a mentor. But maybe that isn't what he wanted, but unfortunatly that is all he is going to get. I don't see any NFL teams picking him up to be their starter only a back-up.

I will agree with you for the most part...but to add to that a bit, when an offense can stay on the field, a defense will be rested and more effective. Throughout any game, they announcers will always put up how much time a team has been on offense. In the end, it is USUALLY the team that had more offense time winning the game What changed when Brad took the team is he was quicker to get rid of the ball. Yes..he dumped a bunch to the short pass because Moss opened up that avenue. Daunte that year was somewhat short sighted and only looked for favorite receivers. Brad was never a running quarterback, and when Daunte went down, that took away another running threat.

Yes...maybe those teams Daunte were up against were a bit tougher, but the vikings were energized when Brad took the helm. Everyone played better (IMHO due to more experience and ability to adjust as needed, and a solid leader.) I don't think the offensive scheme changed much at all...it just became more efficent.

I do agree they should have kept brad for mentoring purposes. He would do well in that role, helping the young guns in many ways. He is a top notch guy. I won't go so far as saying he doesn't have the power to get the ball down-field, or anything like that...maybe has lost his edge some, but not washed up. I feel he does have the abilities to do well yet, we just did not have any weapons down-field or mid-field who could get separation consistently. If we had a deep threat, more things open up. Also, if the offense would spread itself out more (this goes on Childress) that opens up more things as well.

Overall, what is done is done and no matter how we all look at it (agree or disagree), the vikes are going to need some other strong-holds to be successful. In time it will happen...

Steve

I actually hope Brad does really well because he was/is a class act. He's probably one of the smartest Qbs I've seen. Guts and heart, mixed in with talent, can take a guy a long way.

Hope I didn't offend you VMS I can get carried away sometimes. If I did I apologize.

Three-year deal for Brad with Dallas. What's that mean for Romo?

He signs with Dallas to be the veteran back up to Romo. He could have done that here just as well. Did he and Childress not get along?

If you had a choice would you stay at your job after you were demoted and tutor your replacement ? Probably not . Why would Brad ?

does childress get along with anyone its his way or the highway think its time to show him the gravel road outta here to answer your question if him and brad didnt get along i read back in like november that brad did not have the option of changing the play if a run was called he could call what side to run but couldnt switch to a pass play if he read defense was playing the run. just what i read but ewither way childress is a horsecrap play caller.

Childress........I better not say..