• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Tranny Problems

gunflint

Question

The tranny went out on my 92 GMC 3/4ton 6.5 diesel last fall. I parked it and we bought a new Jeep. I cleverly told the wife that this of course was her Jeep as I would get the tranny on the truck fixed in the spring. Now she says that I'm using the Jeep too much and it's starting to smell funny. (She's a strange women anyway.) So it's time to decide whether or not to pull the trigger on a rebuilt tranny for the diesel or start shopping for a different truck.

The 92 has 230,000 miles on it so it should be good for another 100,000 (diesel) maybe more. The rebuilt is going to cost $1800 and maybe another $300 to tow it to Duluth. I can't imagine that I could find a 4X4 pickup in as good a shape for $2100. The rest of the truck is in above average condition. What do you think? Does it make sense to drop 2 large into a truck with that many miles? Most of the other stuff like brakes, tires, batteries, etc are in good shape and I know the history of the truck.

15 answers to this question

If you know how well the truck runs, my question would be where can you find another truck for 2100 and have it in the shape that yours is? If you were sure that it would go for another 50,000, thats cheap driving and the truck is not worth much without a tranny.

I would say, fix it.

Though I think that your $1,800.00 is a little low I would still fix the one that you have! I have always done that... have had three trannies fixed so far. Good luck and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

Those 6.5 won't die it will probably out last another tranny. I think you would be ok to rebuilt it.

If you like what you have fix it. Buying a used vehicle is a shot in the dark.

Like airjer said a shot in the Dark. If I were you and had 2 g's to do a tranny I would put a down payment on a new truck. Thats just me, I hate having to fix my autos over and over.

Guess thats why I got a Toyota. grin.gif

Going on 150,000 miles the only repair besides oil changes has been 1 Fan belt. Everything else is in original working order.

I have to agree with Harvey Lee. I am rebuilding my tranny right now. I found a guy with a good price. If I go by blue book value, it is not worth it because a rebuilt transmission does not make the truck worth more on blue book price. But, to me it does. Also, at least I know what I have regarding new parts already installed. It is easy to spend $2100 in repairs over a few years on another vehicle so I would say it is worth it. The problem now is, your are stuck with it for a while and subsequent repairs.

I wouldn't bother with fixing it, by the time you'll be done you'll have $ 4000 into it, I would sell truck as is take the money combined with the $ 4000 and get a newer truck, used or new it doesn't matter.

The diesels use a heavier duty transmission, more expensive to build, the only way you can keep that truck and have little expenses is to find a used tranny and have it installed, it will be around $ 1500 when done.

Heck put it on Ebay you might get more than what you think, and if you need help with it let me know.

What tranny is it? That early on I'm guessing its a 700R4.

When you say the tranny went out, what are the symptoms? Slipping or leaking at the front pump seal?

Finding a decent used truck can really be a pain, and if you know that everything else on your truck is good it probably makes the most sense to rebuild your tranny. At that many miles have you done any front end work or injection pumps? Ask youself what the worst case scenario is on what else can go wrong on your truck and what it may cost, this could influence the decision.

The problem with a used truck is you could buy somthing with 60k, 100k, or 200k and be running just as much of a risk of getting somthing that needs work. My aunt bought her Tahoe brand new and the tranny went out, out of warrantee at 50k. Meanwhile I've got a 96 k-2500 with 230k on the original drivetrain, and I'm not too afraid of it getting to 300k (knock on wood).

Is the truck you daily driver? What do you use it for? If you were looking for another truck what would you look for? (I.E. 1/2, 3/4ton, etc) Do you put many miles on per year?

I agree - fix it, especially if you got $1800 for the quote. Thats a tough truck and if you ever need to, the 6.5L rebuilds real nice and easy and keeps on tickin. A $2100 used 4x4 in Mn would be worse than what you have - literally; early 90's, 4x4, 200M, 1/2 ton, gas.

I use this rule of thumb for major repairs - any vehicle, from the rustiest econobox to the most brutish 4x4 pickup, is worth $200 a month to have at your disposal, not counting all the normal maintanance and repairs. $2100 / $200 is 10.5 months. If you think you will keep it for 10.5 months after you rebuild it, and that there is nothing else seriously wrong with it that will blow up in those 10.5 months, then the choice should be to repair it. You will break even in 11 months.

Valv,

How would I have $4000 into it? This truck without a tranny is worth a few hundred. The $1800 quote is a good one from a reputable guy in Superior. He will rebuild to my specifications. Which means I don't need all the heavy duty extras because the truck's (like myself) heavy lifting days are over.

Like I stated before, we just bought a new vehicle in October so I'm not interested in getting another payment. It'll be nice to get her back on the road again. smile.gif

Quote:

What tranny is it? That early on I'm guessing its a 700R4.

I think it is the 4L80-E (or maybe 4L85-E since it is a diesel). It was the successor to the 700R4.

I am not sure about Valv's math. $1800 + $300 doesn't add up to $4000 grin.gif. If you can get it done for $2100 I would say it is a good move. I checked CarSoup and for a 2500 w a diesel the prices ranged from $2500 to $6999 for similar trucks ('92 to '94) with 123K to 355K miles. If you truck is in good shape I would say it is well worth the $2100.

Gunflint, the $ 1800 is to rebuild transmission, then I assume you'll have labor for installation/removal, $ 300 for towing.

When you have truck at the shop you will get an extra odd and end fixed while it's there, my $ 4000 is not that far off the final cost. Your truck is not worth few hundreds, diesels have a good market, there's plenty of people that will buy it to rebuild it or modify it.

You cannot have build as you please, your motor has a lot of torque (not a gasser) and will have to be rebuilt to stand that, the shop will know how.

If I was you, while you have in the shop I would find a used 5 speed manual and all the parts needed to convert it, you will be impressed with the mpg you will get, it will cost less and will pay for itself quickly, automatics loose a lot of power and fuel.

I thought that was a little early for the 4L80E, but if thats what its got I'd rebuild it without thinking twice. Also I don't think you can ever overbuild an automatic, it'll just add to the longevity, but I would assume they are alteast building it back to stock specs so your probably ok.

Out of curriosity what does that truck get for MPG with a 6.5 and an automatic?

19 mpg empty or hauling. When I bought it, diesel was cheaper than gas.

hey man, alot of GOOD shops will offer a new tranny, i know it sounds bad but you might want to think of that too because its a better deal nowadays. alot of these rebuilds dont have warranties besides 30 days to the shop, but a new one could cost maybe a couple hundred higher, but it will have a long term warranty. thats the new trend anyway for OEM parts. unless you find a friend wholl rebuild it for the cost of parts and cheap labor grin.gif i could get a quote tommorrow at work for one if youd like?