• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Do we draft brady Quinn?

slotlimit

If he is still available at pick 7 do we draft him? Some experts have him picked too slide down in the draft. I have yet to hear any of them suggesting the Vikings take him though. I say take him in a heartbeat. If they don't trade up to get C. johnson at the 3rd pick.

IMHO, I would rather see the Purple try to work something out to get Schaub from Atlanta. I would not give them a 1st and 3rd round pick, but maybe package a 2nd round pick and a player. I don't think Quinn will be a successful QB in the NFL.

But, I didn't think Lienart would be very good either. I think I'll be eating some crow on that prediction. grin.gif

I would say take the chance if he is there with the hopes that one of the two quarterback becomes a franchise quarterback. But, if one of the BIG names that they want (Johnson, Gaines Adams) or the like drop down I hope that they would take them first, but in all likely hood they will be gone!

I don't see how Calvin Johnson gets past #3/4 depending on where Tampa Bay ends up with the coin flip. The whole key to this draft is what the Lions do---if they go Thomas then the Cardinals are locked into one of the top def lineman which limits the Vikings options. Sounds more like Cleveland is going to draft Peterson so that makes Quinn look like he'll be available.

I wouldn't be upset if they take Quinn but I'd like to see Jackson have a chance since we moved up to draft him. That stated the most likely options for the Vikings at #7 (assuming no trade up by them and no other changes in the first 6 teams drafting): Adams (def end), Anderson (def end), Quinn and either Ginn or Jarrett. I think #7 is too high for either of those WR's and would love to see what a couple of mocks have as our second round choice of either Bowe, Meacham or the guy from South Carolina that I'm blanking on right now (not sure Bowe or Meacham will make it that far). Worse case scenario for MN is that both def ends are gone and Branch at tackle is available since we are OK there, but he might be too good to pass on. Only other players I've seen on any mocks for the Vikings are Landry the safety and Hall the CB.

If either def end is available I'd prefer that option over Quinn. I have read a couple that based on the Vikings history with the Browns that we would have an above average chance of working a deal. (of course they need to win the coin flip or TB still ends up with C. Johnson) We would get the WR that hopefully the brain trust wants and Cleveland likely still has a choice between Peterson and Quinn unless TB goes QB.

Cleveland won the coin flip days ago. It goes Cleveland, tampa, Arizona, Washington, US. Their would be no one who needs a RB between us and where cleveland is at with the 3 pick. Only god knows but Cleveland should be able to trade down with us at 7 and still get Peterson. Plus they would be able to pay him less and probably get another player from us or another pick.

I was huge on the Shaub.. but I think he is dead to us now.. anymore David Carr talks..I would have to say Wr.. although I still have faith in T>Will.. my wife bought me his jersey in August.>> i hope childress doesnt deal him and MeMo..and trade chestnut

Williamson couldn't catch a cold. Being the Vikings fan I am I wish I could say something nice about him because that would mean good things for us. OK he's fast.

From the film I have seen from him in college he was runnin a lot of slants, using his speed.. YAC...i think he needs an offseason of just catchin the ball.. I hope he is gettin that right now.. for the stock we have in him something has to come of it.. and i like him because he seems levelhead compared to othe NFLer's..I will beat you to it.. he doesnt have reason to celebrate..this year! i hope

Perfect scenerio, vikings sign Patrick Kearney, make a move for a QB such as Carr or sign Garcia, and drop down in the draft too a position where they feel they can still get Jarrett. I shouldnt say perfect, perfect would be finding a way too get Johnson in the C.J. in the draft.

If the vikings wait too address the WR issue until the 2nd round of this draft im going too throw up. Its one thing if they sign a Drew Bennett or something and then get a WR in the 2nd round but if nothing is done until the draft they better nail one of those recievers somewhere with the 1st pick.

I guess I am torn, but I don't really care who are WR's are if we go into the season with Brooks Bollinger or Tavarius Jackson as our starting QB's. If we do this we are taking the "develop now, win later" approach and in that case why did we sign Chester and Hutch. If we stand pat at QB, I think if Calvin Johnson isn't there, we trade down, acquire a few more picks and start developing some people. Although I am not sure we can do that because I can't think of one player that was "developed" last year under Chili. We had some great developers on Defense, but we are starting over there now too. If we sign Garcia(I hope this happens) or trade for Carr, then I think we do anything we can to trade up for Calvin Johnson and roll the dice. Garcia only has a few more years left and if this happens are two glaring needs are met(QB and WR) as long as Johnson is the real deal. Just my thoughts

Just for the record Rice, Meachem, and Bowe will all be gone before we pick in round two.

Couple of more things, i see the chiefs may be willing too trade Trent Green, he wouldnt look too bad in purple. I also see the that Eric Moulds has been released and he probably could be picked up at a reasonable price.

What sucks is that normally this time of year im really pumped too see what the vikings will do, but this year no matter what the vikings do, none of it will matter if Chilli doesnt change on his own this next season also. If hes not willing too call any pass patterns longer than 3 yards than no aquistion will make the big difference.

Hard to call a pass play longer than three yards when your QB doesn't have time to drop back, doesn't have an arm strong enough (BJ) or accurate enough (TJ) to throw that far AND you don't have a reciever who can catch it anyway. Let's face it, we need A LOT of work and I don't think ANY play caller could have saved that ship last year... I'm not nearly ready to give up on Childress after one season, he needs time to get the right fit and minset into that team. If they don't improve this year, then you have to wonder, but one year isn't a fair test.

Now, as to the original question, if we can't get Calvin Johnson (which I doubt we can), then draft Quinn by all means, his experience in Charlie Weiss' pro-set offensive moves him way ahead of other QB's. Of course then we still don't have anyone for him to throw to and we need to get all over that... By the way, Jerry Rice came out of the sixth round or something like that, so don't think the only reciever option is round one!

At our current draft position we will never get C. johnson. We need to be ahead of Tampa for sure. We've been known to amke trades with the Browns so it seems like it could get done. Other rumors have Moss going to the Packers. If this happens I think the Raiders will take C. Johnson at number 1.

The chances of the Vikes trading up are almost non-existant. The draft picks they would have to give up are just too important and I believe there are some quality WR out there in the later rounds. Some of the best receivers in the game right now are comming from the second day in the draft. I would like to see them have Quinn available to them at 7 and then trade down to pick up a few more quality players. It will be interesting.

I'm not sure how you can say the chances of them trading with the Browns are non-existent? IF it's true that they would have to give their #1 and more then another draft pick or another player I would say stay where they are at. It would clearly be to the Browns advantage to trade down to 7 and get a player or draft pick if the Browns can still get Peterson. Which I don't see anyone else taking him. Now if their was another team between us and the Browns who needed a runningback I would say a trade to move up wouldn't be possible without giving up the house.

The Browns are at 3 and the Vikings are at 7. Not taking players into consideration and this years draft only, the Vikings would basically have to give the Browns their 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick for the trade to equal out on a draft value chart.

#3 pick = 2,200

#7 = 1,500

#39 = 510

# 71 = 235

Total value = 2,245

Quinn won't be available for us, Houston is dealing Carr and they will trade up to take Quinn. Who will they trade up with??? We may be seeing Carr in Purple next year.

downtoearth.

Man have you been on the footballs future site or what? smile.gif

I think trading up for CJ is just to costly picks wise. If Quinn falls to us at #7 I think there would be some lively trade talks with a few other teams. I think we need to trade down a few spots and acquire a few more picks. We are more than one or two players away from being a good team. If we could somehow trade down and get another second round pick things would be looking up.

NO WAY! I don't think he will be any good in the pro's, in spite of what Weiss says. He is all Notre Dame hype that's all. Signing Garcia would be nice. We need a veteran to help the young guys along.

Quote:

downtoearth.

Man have you been on the footballs future site or what?
smile.gif

I think trading up for CJ is just to costly picks wise. If Quinn falls to us at #7 I think there would be some lively trade talks with a few other teams. I think we need to trade down a few spots and acquire a few more picks. We are more than one or two players away from being a good team. If we could somehow trade down and get another second round pick things would be looking up.

Yeah, I'm checking that site out quite a bit. laugh.gif

Just for the record, Jerry Rice was a first round draft choice of the 49'ers at the number 16 slot. In 1985 they traded their 2 first round picks to New England to move ahead of Dallas whom was rumored to be very interested in Rice. The Vikes need a QB and will draft Quinn if he's available. This move will not make them a contender in the coming season but at least we will see the end of Chili...

No way Vikes draft Quinn even if he's there. I think the Vikes will draft a QB on day 2 however.

If the Viks are talking about drafting a DE which they have done the last what 2-3 years. I believe their is a possibility they could draft any position with their frist pick. Not sure how you can say NO WAY they will draft anyone. No one really knows.

Doesn't this post show how much the NFL beats all??? I don't think you could get this much talk about any other sport even during their season, let alone their off season! I think drafting Quinn would be a mistake, unless it was a draft and then trade. Like others have said, one year may be too premature to judge childress, then the same goes for Tavarius. I also think Brady Quinn is given a lot of extra hype because he plays for Notre Dame and Charlie Weiss. Just for the record, how many great Quarterbacks has Charlie developed/influenced other than Tom Brady. Did Charlie Weiss make Tom Brady or did Tom Brady make Charlie Weiss?? Just a thought. If you can't get CJ trade down, aquire picks and start rebuilding. Thats my take.

i agree with attention on quinn since he from notre dame take a look at duke basketball how they can still be ranked is unbelievable as far as drafting a qb drafting a qb instead of a free agent qb is almost admitting your not in the hunt for the title this year. the reason i say that is most drafted qbs dont have huge success starting first year in the nfl. I thik give tavaris the helm scrap the WCO and how about start a offense that will work with the players we have plus say a few free agents that arent seeking a room at the rest home.

Just reading that the vikings spent a couple days talking to Quinn. I think how ironic it would be if we did draft Quinn, because then he would have to play against his brother-in-law AJ Hawk OLB for the Packers, just like he did in college when Notre Dame would have to play Ohio State. Who would his hot @ss sister cheer for then??? grin.gif

Dolphins dumped Harrington. They would be in the market for a qb not knowing if Culpepper is ready physically. Trading down and acquiring additional picks makes sense.

I think the Vikes are putting on a show when it comes to their interest in Brady Quinn. I'm thinking smokescreen. Think trade down. If we can trade down a few spots and still get Landry or Meachem and pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd pick that would be ideal.