• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fishing Licenses..... Do we need to get new ones now?

I was wondering about fishing license and when we need to get our 2007. My second question is how long is Laker season open for ice fishing or does it close. I lost my fishing rule book that is why I'm asking.

Mn. Fishing licenses expire Feb. 28th and Wi. Fishing Licenses Expire March 31st.

I plan to get the Mn lifetime licence this year (since Im at an age where its reasonable) any one else have one of these??

Randoid

I've got mine and bought them for both of my boys already. Got my new license already last weekend. Just hand them the card and leave. Had it 2 seasons now.

Quote:

I plan to get the Mn lifetime licence this year (since Im at an age where its reasonable) any one else have one of these??

Randoid

LoonASea lifetime licence's are really nice. I don't personally have one but am thinking about a lifetime sportsman. The only down fall I have found about it is that it takes ,I believe, up to two weeks to get. So if think about fishing anytime soon I don't know what you are going to do. But if not til walleye opener you should be fine.

Joel

The price for Your boys is a great deal ,,thats if you get it for them early (under 3 yo and if I remember right your boys are young) I may have to hit GM today and get Mine on its way ,,is it paper or similar to a drivers licence ??

Randoid

I got a lifetime sports and a lifetime firearms one of the first years they came out. I was around 14 or somewhere in there, right below the age when the price jumps. They are so nice to have. Even if I decide to move out of the state, they are still valid. And for deer hunting this year i upgraded to the all season license. It was my first year with a bow or muzzeloader. All i had to pay to upgrade was the difference in price between the all season and the regular firearm license. It is a wonderful investment for you children if they love to hunt and fish. Does anybody know if you can get a new license without the card? Mine is at home and my parents don't want it to get lost in the mail.

You have to go to the MN DNR website and download the application. Fill it out and send it in with the check. they will send you back a plastic credit card look-a-like. Then you take that to anyone that sells licenses and they just print you up a new license. Dont forget the trout stamp is still extra.

Here's the link for the application:

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/licenses/lifetime/residents/index.html

The lifetime license is a hard card like a drivers license, but it doesn't have your pic or much anything on it. I can't remember what all is exactly on it, i think your MDNR# and what license it is. Each year you have to go and get the ELS print out though. That is so the DNR can have some sort of license count, or something like that. It is free to get the printout.

The biggest drawback of the lifetime license idea, especially in regards to buying it for my kids, would be that I have no way of predicting the future. Who knows where they are going to decide to settle down and live happily ever after. I don't even know if I am going to be living in this area 10 years from now.

Jarod I think its still valid if you move. You know you will always come back to fish with us. wink.gif

Where ya thinking about moving to? Someplace warm? Or just someplace with a better job market?

I know the MN Lifetime license is still valid if you move, but what good is that to you if you decide you are going to move to Oregon, for example? Furthermore, I just think its that much more unpredictable for kids.

I'm not going anywhere anytime soon, Steve. Although if my wife had her way, we would probably be living someplace warm right now. Not to mention, she makes about twice as much money as I do, so if she gets a good job offer somewhere else...well, you just never know.

Let me also just say that in no way am I judging those that do buy it. More power to ya!

Ya at our age it just dont make much sense anyways. Still have to stop in the shop and get a trout stamp and stuff anyways.

Jarod I thought maybe you got a new job in the Ice Capades. After your performances on the river the other night you better get those skates sharpened. tongue.gifgrin.gif

UMDSportsman- I have a lifetime sportsmans license and whenever I renew it, I just have them swipe my driver's license and they have never had a problem getting it. Just be sure to let them know that you have a lifetime license, otherwise you might end up getting charged for a regular one.

Thanks for the info, i have not had a chance to get to GM and get my licenses. Been a very busy week. Thanks.

Oh quit it Steve, you know you are just trying to ge me in a pair of figure skating tights. How's that image for ya? blush.gif

Quote:

The biggest drawback of the lifetime license idea, especially in regards to buying it for my kids, would be that I have no way of predicting the future.

Wow you couldn't be more wrong. The biggest drawback on buying it for children is the startup penalty (cost). Take the fishing license for $227 for 0-3 yo's. Yikes. They don't need a license until age 16. So assuming compond intrest on future value of money at a conservative doubling of 8 years (used to be 7 years) that would mean before they have to have a license you have spent the equivilance of $908 for the lifetime license before it would be used. If prices have skyrocketed up to $50.00 avg per year for a license the cost for the next 8 years will be 400.00. The $908 if left in t-bills would at the end of that be worth $1816. This just continues to get worse evry year there after. Best would be buy them 250.00 in savings bonds and if drawn out each time they need a licesne in $25.00 increments they will still have a thousand dollars in savings after the cost of the licences and even continuing to draw out every year they will continue to grow that money in savings exponentially. No matter how crazy you can imagine the cost going up it is not a good deal short term or long term. The younger you are the worse the deal becomes.

Yike this is simple math.

Zap, I followed you for about 2 sentences and then you lost me. What I think you are saying is that the $ investment is the biggest reason not to purchase the LL. I'm not sure about that, but my point has nothing to do with the dollar investment. I'm just saying that I spend $227 or whatever when they are born. They don't need one until they are 16. They take advantage of it for 2 years (if they decide they are into fishing), and when they turn 18 they choose to go away to college. Who knows, they may never live in MN again. Now the opposite is just as likely...that they would stay here, go to UMD, get good jobs, live happily ever after and fish 3 days a week, all the while enjoying the convenience of their lifetime license. I just can't predict either scenario. My point is there are too may "ifs" for me to invest the money, even if it is only $227.00, which isn't bad at all, by the way.

Oh yeah, and Steve, you didn't tell me Poutslayer was looking for a pair too!!! blush.gifblush.gifblush.gifblush.gif