• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
hitthebricks

Lakemaster vs. Navonics zoom feature

Question

hitthebricks

With Lakemaster you can zoom in closer but why is that such a big thing when Navonics has higher definition. HTB

11 answers to this question

Orlip

I had tried the 06 hotmaps and on a lake with 1' contours you could not see between the lines so to speak. Very hard to tell what contour line you were on. 3' or 5' lakes was not a problem but the 1' confused.gif

taw

the zoom range on any chip is determined by the unit reading the chip. Currently Humminbird units (Navionics only) zoom in the closest < 15 feet (which is commonly inside 1' contours). Lowrance units usually zoom in at a much further distance usually 0.08 miles or 400'. You will find that zooming in to far does not do you much good as you lose perspective on the map quickly. I commonly zoom in to 100-250 feet and find that much better then < 50 '

PierBridge

It's nothing to do with the units it's the chip Lakemaster Zooms in much better then Navionics and as stated above it realy makes a difference.

PerchJerker

Quote:

With Lakemaster you can zoom in closer but why is that such a big thing when Navonics has higher definition

LM zooms in closer than Nav. I'm not sure what you mean when you say Nav has higher definiton. You get better definition from LM because you can zoom in closer. You would get better definition on a gps with higher pixel count but that is determined by the gps, not by the map chip you're using.

Quote:

I had tried the 06 hotmaps and on a lake with 1' contours you could not see between the lines so to speak. Very hard to tell what contour line you were on. 3' or 5' lakes was not a problem but the 1'

That depends on how close you're zoomed in, and how steep the break is. The steeper the break, the closer the contour lines, the harder to see between them.

Quote:

the zoom range on any chip is determined by the unit reading the chip

Not true, it is the map chip that determines how close you can zoom in, not the gps

Orlip

Quote:

That depends on how close you're zoomed in, and how steep the break is. The steeper the break, the closer the contour lines, the harder to see between them.

That was my point, When you are on those breaks and zoomed as far as the chip will allow you cannot see between the lines and unfortunately these are the lakes that are the most accurate sooo what good is it? I have heard Navionics added 2 more zoom levels in 07 but have not seen this for myself.

schweady

Yeah, a while back FMer Jeff@Navionics said that either the '07 chip would allow for closer zoom or that a software update from Lowrance was coming for the iFinder units which would allow for it, I can't remember which he said, or if either one is true... I haven't yet picked up the '07 Navionics chip, so I'm left to wonder: Can you still only zoom in to 1/8 nm on the new one with the latest software update installed? With the '06 Navionics chip and Lowrance's software ver 1.1 installed on my ExpeditionC, it's frustrating when wanting to zoom in on that spot-on-a-spot, and I find myself thinking of swapping the LakeMaster chip back into the unit for the day -- even though it doesn't have that lake's contour lines -- just so I can more accurately follow a previous trail or be more precise in going to a previously marked waypoint.

hitthebricks

So the way I understand it now is that zooming in closer allows you to see where your at between the 1' contour lines. HTB

Tippman

I upgraded to the expedition from explorer. I have not been able to obtain a WAAS signal from my expedition yet? It locks in quickly and has epe in low 20's on 3d fix, just doesn't go to WAAS. I do have the box checked that says enable WAAS. Am I missing something? Do others out there signal into WAAS? How low do you get epe? Thanks

Ralph Wiggum

I don't get WAAS very often on my H2Oc. Every once-in-a-while it will find a WAAS signal, though. My EPE is most often in the 30-40 foot range.

walleye_dog

While over on Lil-Bay-Denoc a couple of weeks ago one evening I was able to get the full Waas with an EPE of 13 feet with my H2O.

Fish Head

Hitthebricks- When you are using a high definition chip with 1' contours (even 3' on occasion), all the lines can blur together. If you can zoom in a little farther, you can see the structure. At times it can make a huge difference. I also find that navionics maps load slower when zooming in or out

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

Announcements

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Rick
      The Great Lakes Compact Council and the Great Lakes Regional Body are seeking public feedback on draft updates to the procedures for reviewing requests to divert water from the Great Lakes Basin. The compact is federal law that governs the use of water in the Great Lakes watershed. The compact council and regional body are accepting comments through June 21, at 4:30 p.m.  Under the compact, diversions of water out of the Great Lakes-St. Lawrence River Basin are generally prohibited. However, the compact identifies limited circumstances under which diversion may be allowed. In some instances, before a diversion proposal can be approved, it must undergo review by the regional body and may require approval by the compact council. The draft updates are strictly procedural and would not modify the compact’s basic terms. The compact council is composed of the governors of the eight states that border the Great Lakes. The regional body includes the eight governors on the council plus the premiers of Ontario and Quebec. The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources is Gov. Mark Dayton’s delegate to both groups and provides data and water management expertise to assist implementing the compact. The effort to refine the procedures under the compact follows the states’ and provinces’ first experience reviewing a diversion request under the agreement. Reflecting on that experience and feedback from stakeholder groups, the states and provinces concluded that some aspects of the procedures should be clarified or refined. Following discussions with key stakeholders and tribal interests, the states and provinces developed the draft updates that were released for public review May 22. The updates include these changes: Expands opportunities for the public to participate at hearings and public meetings. Acknowledges the special status of First Nations and federally recognized Tribes through separate meetings with them and granting standing to contest compact council decisions. Identifies circumstances under which an additional public comment period would be offered between issuance of the regional body’s declaration of finding and the compact council’s final decision. Essentially, if the compact council views the regional body’s modifications to the applicant’s diversion proposal as substantial, the council would take public comment prior to making its final decision. The existing public comment opportunity prior to the regional body’s deliberations would remain. After considering public input received by June 21, the regional body will revise the draft procedural updates this summer. The compact council will then consider the updates and decide whether some or all of them should be adopted through rulemaking. The draft updates are available at www.glslcompactcouncil.org/PUT-DraftUpdates.aspx. This website includes instructions for sharing feedback. The public input process includes an in-person opportunity to share feedback in Duluth on June 21 at Fitger’s Inn at 10:30 a.m. Documents are also available on the regional body website. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Spss
      I'm camping out on echo lake next week. Any tips or fishing info would be great.
    • brrrr
      explore with a shallow water boat, there are a few big boulders in there,and lots of gravel bars.   
    • Getanet
      It sure is.  I know you can camp on Kabetogama, Rainy, Namakan and Sandpoint through the National Park Service. For someone who's never been (or only once) do you guys recommend one lake over the others?  Sort of the "if you can only visit one lake, make sure its ______"
    • TheEyesofanAngler
      it actually was renamed from my understanding, but its easier for me to go with the old name.. i definitely would want to head out there. Thanks wanderer for the feedback. might've been the push i needed to go wet the lines next week. 
    • Satchmo
      Getanet, Most folks the first week or so did very well on the west end this year. It is a huge area with a lot of structure options. There are weed beds, sand flats, rubble shorelines, and creek inlets, just to name a few.The 5-15ft depths brought a lot of fish too big to keep. The keepers were in the 15-25ft range.  Evening movements can bring all sizes of fish shallow. This year, minnows were definitely the bait of choice. It's all about location, location, location. In general the best approach is to run and gun. Stay no more than 10-15 minutes in a spot, and then move to then next.  If the fish are there, they  are generally active. Stick with, and sooner or later, you'll get rewarded.  VNP really is an amazing place.
    • eyeguy 54
      pink and white usually rocks as does white.   yesturday I took the grandkids out and the gulp alive emerald shiner made lots of smiles. 
    • Neutz68
      Nope...   320er...   Thanks for the info.. 
    • fish_time
      I had an absolutely beautiful day on the water. The crappies I caught were over 12" . I personally have to say pink and white, and white on pink is the way to go for spring crappies. Enjoy. https://youtu.be/o19q4K1urBE  
    • Getanet
      Where the heck was this advice a month ago when I was booking our trip!  I knew nothing about Kabotegama and really only had a few choices of campsites available for the dates we wanted to go. Wood Duck Island looked as good as any. After I made the reservation I had read that the west end of the lake had better fishing earlier in the year since it was shallower than the east and the water warmed up quicker. Goes to show you can't trust everything you read on the internet. Even though we got skunked on walleye it was still one of our favorite trips. My buddy and I typically stay at a resort or one of our family's cabins. Camping got us outside doing stuff a lot more. If we had a roof over our head and a TV we would have spent a lot less time fishing when the weather stunk.