• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Polarized Sun Glasses??

mattrd

Quote:

I've been an el cheapo guy for years, just because of the break/lose factor. I stepped it up a tad last year and went with a $65 dollar pair, the quality of the lens is a ton better. And I've found the lenses to be so much more scratch resistent. So consider me a changed man when it comes to considering shades, I might even break $100 on my next pair.
cool.gif

I used to lose and break sunglases too. That is, until I spent $200 on presription polarized sunglasses. Now I keep a close eye on them.

Oakley polarized have been the best for me, performance and comfort. Compared to another pair of non-polarized Oakleys, the polarized never scratch. My non-polarized glasses scratched on just about anything it touched.

Over a year of wearing my polarized Oakleys every day in the car, boat, snowmobile, etc.. they still look like new. Worth every penny. grin.gif

Fact is. anyone who thinks that cheap glasses/lenses perform as well as high quality optics has never tried them. I don't mean slipped a pair on for a couple minutes, but actually owned a pair and expecienced them under different conditions. Better optics are easier on the eyes, last longer (with proper care) and simply outperform cheap sunglasses. That doesn't mean they're for everyone...some guys don't wear sunglasses enuf to justify the expense...just like some guys don't use binoculars enuf to justify a really good pair. But if you want the best performance, quality shades are the only way to go.

I'm gonna be getting a pair of Costa Del Mar's and I was wondering what color lenses to get or what would be best. I usually fish bass and muskies. I have used the cheap ones in the past and their ok, but want to get a nice pair since i can get them at a pretty good price. cool.gif

Polarized amber color lenses are probably the most verstile, if you can get a par with interchangeable lenses I would get a rose colored as well. Rose helps in lowlight situations and can be very useful in the morning and late evening.

My first pair of Costa's were "vermillion" (thier fancy term for rose:) I really liked them, good all around color. Now I have a pair of blue mirrored, great for long days on the water and driving in glare/bright light. I'm not a big amber fan for all around, they're great for stream fishing and low light; but my rose, (I mean vermillion:), are also good in the rivers and I do like the darked blue mirrors the rest of the time. Another thing to think about is do you want glass or plastic. I like glass, I'm used to the weight; they are tougher to scratch and I believe optically better. The "plastic' from the top manufacturers is good, high tech stuff...probably not even technically plastic anymore, maybe I'll try it for my next pair. I'll but whichever I find on closeout probably:)

I think for a lot of people they probably are. But the amber/vermillion etc...are better in low light and lots of sportsman like that. Thats one reason amber are a little too light for me, the vermillion is a nice compromise.

I've got Costa de Mar WAVE 400 glass, green mirror lenses, which is an amber lens with a green mirrored surface on them. I like them a lot. They really enhance definition. They aren't too dark--they help alot even with overcast skies.

I just ordered a pair of Costa Del Mar Swordfish with the green mirror glass lens Rxd.

medsw11400greenfy0.jpg

Can't wait to get them. cool.gif Been wearing sunglasses over my perscription glasses for years. What a pain.