• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Does anyone have the 4-stroke auger from strikmaster? If so what do you think of it? Any problems? How is for starting in bitter cold? Any info would be awesome. I am considering one for next year and would like some feed back that isn't from the guy trying to sell it to you.

I have the 4 stroke and really like it because of the weight. I mostly go to Rainy lake and I have no problem cutting thru the almost 3' of ice. I will admit that during the cold spell I did take it in with me at night. It always start within 3-5 pulls if I have the primer bulb primed properly. The only issue that I have had is when I redrill a hole the auger will sometimes become jammed in the hole. I am probably doing something wrong on how I do it but it actually freezes in and stops me instantly. Cannot do anything to move it except take a pipe wrench and back it out half a turn and then it comes free.

Strikemasters are known for their inability to reopen holes, but I've seen this proved wrong several times. There is no question that it strikemasters can reopen holes, but there other augers on the market that make the task much easier. In my opinion the only reason to reopen a hole would be inside a perm shack

I’ve also found that the 2 strokes seem to start a lot better than the 4 strokes (less pulls). My last trip to UPL, we had a new Strike light 4 stroke and a Strikemaster Mag 2 stroke and mag started much easier than the 4 stroke in -17. I think the 4 strokes are a fine unit, but my personal preference would be to stick with the 2 strokes.