• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

.30-06 vs .308

slick2526

So guys what would be your choice. I have been looking at a .308 but havent kept the .30-06 out of my mind either. Mainly im buying this gun as a deer gun but I would also like it to do double duty as a yote/fox gun also.

What I have been reading is the .308 is more accurate at further distance shots compared to the .30-06. Also its alot easier to find surplus military 308 ammo. the only draw back I think I have seen is the choice of grain sizes for the bullets. I believe the .30-06 has a far more vast range that you can choose from.

Mainly the only reason im worried about that is i would like to be able to drop down to a 55 grain bullet if needed for coyotes and what not. re-sighting the scope in isnt that big of a deal to me. Just more reason to shoot my gun smile.gif. I dont believe you can get the 55 grain bullets for the .308? if so i guess i havent seen them. well guys lets hear your comments and thoughts about this.

P.S. im buying a savage bolt for everyone knows. I dont know what kind of scope yet either

If bullet availability is your concern with the 30-06, think about this, when have you ever been in a sporting goods store that didn't have 30-06 shells? Its a VERY common caliber that everyone stocks.

There aren't enough differences in these two calibers that any whitetail deer would ever be able know the difference when he dies...oh, and whatever hunter shoots that deer, they wouldn't be able to tell either.

I choose the 308, just for the fact that is what my father shoots and I would like to take him on an Elk trip in the next couple of years, and it seemed to make sense to be shooting the same ammo.....

I don't think you can wrong on either.....I do have the savage and why they aren't real "pretty" it is the most accurate gun i have.....6 deer in two years from 25 yards to 225.......

Happy shooting!!

What results are you looking for when you shoot a coyote or predator? If you want to save the fur, I don't think either caliber will suit you for these small animals. Even the .22 centerfires tear up fox more often then not.

Thats a tough range of animals to cover, (10 lb fox to 200lb deer) with one caliber.

Are you tied to one gun? You might to look at the TC line of rifles with interchangeable barrels.

If you reload your ammo, bullet weight does not become an issue. I have both, and load a 110 grain for my 06, I've shot deer with it, as well as my 308. My favorite for deer and yotes is my .257 WBY mag. In 87 grain. I have shot many deer and coyotes, fox with it. It can be a little rough on the fur, but more often than not, the bullet passes clean on fox and yotes. Every deer I have shot with this have had their heart broken. Even if not hit in the heart, the shock explodes the heart. It wouldn't be my first choice if I had to shoot factory ammo, as it is very expensive, and not stocked well in many grains.

Another point to consider is what is your status as a shooter? Although the 308 may be more accurate at long ranges, over 350 yds, can you outdoo your rifle? I can't and I shoot a lot. I would like to think I'm better than average, but fact is I don't shoot my 308 any better than my 06 at long ranges. You would be served well with either caliber, I wouldn't be planning on tanning every predator you shoot with it.

The 55 grain accelerator in 06 doesn't perform for me, I have a lot better group with a 110. Just my experiences, Brent

The best of accuracy is only achieved in a .308 that has a 1 in 10" barrel twist. Most guns are 1 in 12". Winchester makes a 1 in 10" but they cost much more than the same rifle in a 30.06. The difference in accuracy would only be noticed if you spent a lot of time at the bench rest. I would not recommend military surplus ammo for using on game. Game bullets are designed to perform according to the game you are shooting. I reload for my 30.06 and found that after I developed the best load for that gun I have no need for alot of ammo. One deer,one shot,one bullet. If I did not reload I would buy the highest quality cartridge to site it in with and stick with it for hunting. The .308 and the 30.06 use the same size bullet but you will find a wider range of bullet weights in a 30.06 cartridge. I have reloaded 125 grain Speer pointed bullets for long range coyote shooting and it goes clean through without expanding like the 55 grain bullets .If you ever expect to chase anything bigger than deer go with the 30.06. If you want a little less recoil and a shorter bolt action go with the .308. I have a Remington bolt action in a 30.06 and they have the best reputation for out of the box accuracy . I also have a Remington 30.06 in a model six pump and I wish it were a .308 because of the shorter cartridge. I bought a Winchester Featherweight in a 30.06 for my sons first gun. In my opinion it's the best looking gun out there in that price range. I would trade guns with him in a heart beat if he would just let me swap scopes. grin.gif Hope this helps, Ken

Thanks for the info guys. Im just looking into it as of right now. I dont have my heart set on one gun either but when i did have my savage before I seemed to like it.

Im thinking i will most likely go with the .30-06 since most of everyone I know shoots them. Im not into hand loading yet but im thinking about giving it a try.

I appreciate the help guys. I just wanted to see what other people thought about the two. I know they are both very close to each other but i like to read what others have noticed in both of the calibers also. well now i guess its time to decide the brand name

I think you are concerned about nothing. Either caliber will fit the bill.

As far as you accuracy statement, my ex-father-in-law was a competetive shooter and his gun of choice was a 30-06. I saw this fellow put three successive rounds in a 2" bull from 300yds offhand standing. I've seen him take silhouette competitions out to 500 meters and beyond.

As far as ammo availability the 30-06 is the most widely available cartridge produced with a wide range of bullet weights and types. One would be hard pressed to find a retailer that carries ammo without carrying 30-06 ammo.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a reason you are only choosing between these to calibers? I shoot a .06 for deer, my wife uses a .243 for deer hunting, she has dropped everyone she shot at with it, and it doubles as my varment gun also. Very accurate and plenty of knock down power, small load. small holes in the yotes. some big holes but that would go for any caliber!

I agree with 4Wader. I have a 30-06, 308 and 243.

The 308 is a Rem stuby and has shot alot of deer in northern MN by a lot of first year deer hunters. The 06 is also a Rem and was the lightest caliber allowed on my last Elk hunt. And the 243 (Savage) is versital enought to hunt fox (60gn) and powerful enough to know down deer (110 gn) I would not recommend using a 243 for elk hunting.

I don't think there is enough difference in the 308 and 06 calibers to worry about. Find the right price and extras that work well for you.

Good luck

Anyone have any comments on the .25-06? I've only shot a .30-06 and .25-06, but love my .25-06 for deer, never had any problems with the power, but then again I haven't shot many other calibers to compare it to. It also doubles as a nice coyote gun. Would I need to size up for larger game, elk, moose, bear? It just seems it never gets considered as a deer rifle, possibly because the 270 or 30-06 are better alternatives?

My borther went to school out in Montana and worked in a sporting goods store. Here is what he said. The locals pretty muched used .270's and the 30-06's.(270 any premium brand 140 grain, 06 any premium brand grain 180) The people buying the larger calibers,(bullets) 300's and above where for the most part were flat landers. The Bigger calibers offer you a bigger margin of error and a little more distance. They (the locals) also have more time to hunt during the season and more time to scout as well. We on the other hand we may only have 5 days to hunt. Things can get rushed this way and the bullets may stray. As with all hunting get to know you gun and put that bullet in the honey hole. If you stand a 25-06, 270 and a 30-06 next to each other the only difference is the size of the bullet. The 25-06 and 270 are necked down versions of the 30-06. The 30-06 just gives you a greater selection of bullet weights. I have a friend of a friend that has shot many elk with a 270. The 308 is one heck of caliber as well I have shot deer and beer with this gun and it does what it is ment to. Give that gun a girls name and get to know her and she will do you good!!

Klecker

I don't think you'll want to use your 25-06 for Elk. Check out something that packs a little more umph with a heavier bullet. Save yourself and the Elk some distress: critter dies quicker and you don't have to chase it all over the Rockies. crazy.gif

The 25-06 is a great deer gun. I really think you need a .30+ for elk though. I know guys shoot them with .270's, but I read a ton of stuff before I went and all the experts said they'd go 30 caliber and considered the 270 a bare minimum gun.

After shooting mine with the 30-06 and a 180 grain premium bullet, I would consider that a minimum really, they are big tough animals.