• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Which Humminbird Should I Buy?

MNBIGBEAR

Question

I'm looking at buying a new Humminbird sonar/GPS combo and I am just wondering what is the best one for my money. I like the looks of the 900 series but I'm not sure if the side imaging or the 3-D sonar are worth the extra bucks or if I should go with the regualar 2-D sonar. You guys have any suggestions or comments?

1 answer to this question

I bought the 737 last year that has sonar only and is a color unit. I tested the color versus black and white and the color is much better. It blows Lowrance away as far as target separation. I could see the separation between two quarter ounce jigs that were 3 inches apart in 30 feet of water. That's what 640 vertical pixels will do. I also got the side view transducer that looks out to each side but doesn't give the 3D image like the side imaging units do. There's a big difference in $ when going up to the side imaging. The gps combos use Magellan gps so you couldn't use Lakemaster chips but I think, but am not sure, that there are contour software available for them. Maybe Navionics.