• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Looking For More Than Lakers

I'm going to Gunflint Lake in a couple weeks. I've never fished it in the winter. I've heard that everything but the lake trout are non existant in the winter time. Would I be wasting my time fishing for anything else (walleye, perch, tullibees, etc) or should I just stick with the lake trout?

Traveling that far from the cities you should just fish for lakers. You will have better luck on the trout. Or just go to Minnetonka. cool.gif

Gunflint is on the canadien border. Pike season is continuous and walleye is open until april.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Out of all the times I've been there in the winter I've never had the urge to fish for anything other then lakers.

So I tend to agree, its not every day your going to have the chance to fish lakers.

This is VERY true! And that is pretty much the only reason I'm going up there. I just want to know if I might have a chance at a few "bonus" fish while I'm there.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Lakers are bonus fish. laugh.gif

If your asking, could you maybe catch a walleye while fishing lake trout? Its possible but not probable.

I'll see what I can do. In my other post (night time trout) I asked about my chances, maybe to my surprise instead of an eel pout I'll get a walleye. Gunflint is supposed to be the best walleye lake in that area in the summer, where do they all go in the winter?