• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Tonka-Browns/Wayzata Crappies?

anchor man

Heading out tomorrow, is there a general depth/structure the crappies are on now in Browns or Wayzata?

Thanks

I've been having good success in the 30-35 range within 40-50 ft holes. Havn't been out since this weekend but I would guess they are still there. Just relate those depths with shallow structures around them and you will find them. The only thing is the bigger ones like to feed around sunset, and its just a rush, so be prepared. Crappie minnow/head have been the success go to bait so far. I havn't really worked plastics on tonka yet. Let us know how you do!

Dkoy nailed it for you. Plastics have been working well. Ratso, Shrimpo, Little Atom nuggies. Start with horizontal jigs and adjust from there. With that wind etc last night vertical jigs were the ticket as the bite was very light. Don't forget to set out a second rod with plain hook and minnow. Some nights the jigging action brings them in but the plain hook does most of the catching.

thanks Dkoy and Mark, one last question. when you say "hole" is it typically a larger expanse of water that hits 40-50ft, or more of a small secluded hole with shallower areas.

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but I usually look for deep pockets on its own, deep meaning 30-50ft. Then work from there towards shallow end. Just pop 15-30holes in one way/direction and drill from deep to shallow, but with structure(inside curve or point) and you will find them. That would be easiest way. And Mark is right, I've had great success with horizontal lures, glow small spoons is what I have been usuing and they mostly attract the bigger ones. During feed time they will come and smack it in a heart beat! With a flasher you can tell as soon as you see your lure at 10-15ft they will come off the bottom or somewhere off the side and come straight to where you bait is located. Just get ready for that hard tug they give you! Good luck! Don't forget to move your transducer cord, those slabs can't stop tangling in them. Oh, and stay away from crowds. This past weekend I was in a good spot when 2 trucks pulled to ask if i was catching anything. Next thing they get out with 6-7 guys. They were popping holes all over around me and making a rukus by driving back and forth from portable to portable. My flasher went blank as soon as they came.... I had to move, but did better elsewhere. I guess this is common in the metro mad.gif

Dkoy, I guess what I was saying is that I know the NE side of Wayzata Bay hits 50ft. Would you consider the whole NE side a hole, or are you being more specific to smaller isolated depth changes. Sounds like you're meaning the smaller isolated spots.

Thanks

Your best bet is to find a 30ft+ hole completely surrounded by water less than 10ft. The closer you can get to this complete circle ideal the better. These areas tend to corral the crappies. There are also crappies suspending in the main basins but you will need to be very mobile to get on and stay on these fish. My approach is to drill a lot of holes until I mark fish suspending at 15ft or so. Those are almost always crappies or big blue gills. Take a look at a map of Phelps bay. The western basin is where most people fish for crappies. The eastern basin is a little more open and therefor harder to consisently stay on fish. But they are there.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.