• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Trolling For Muskies

Can anyone give me some help as to where to start for trolling those big skees on Leech. Any techniques, baits, or other tips would be much appreciated as I am going to try leech for the first time this coming spring/summer. The size of Leech just intimidates me and I have no clue where to start or what to use. Also, I have a smaller boat so I am going to be limited on windy days. Good luck to all.

GoggleEye

GoggleEye,

With a smaller boat you may want to fish Kabekona Bay.Work the mid lake bar and also the south shore in the mid lake area.I don't do alot of trolling but have had luck trolling rapala husky jerks-the bigger the better.I have had inactive fish to hit smaller spinner baits.As always with muskies try everything you got and if your lucky you may get one.Have fun and good luck!!My wife says I fish too much also!

I agree on Kabekona, and Agency Bay would also be good choice for someone with a small boat. I haven't been there in a while, but the north shore used to be the best for me.

Thanks much guys, I will start with Kabekona Bay then. If it is producing nothing, then I will have to try another one of the smaller bays close by or get corageous and venture out into the main lake areas, pending there is not gail force winds of course. Is there a boat landing in Kabekona bay? Or reasonably close by? Thanks for the help.

GoggleEye

There is a public launch ramp on the Leech side off 371 right where the channel goes into Kabekona. It is shallow with rocks, so stay inside the marker buoys!

If the wind isnt blowing too hard and you are able to get up to portage, it would definitely be a good place to start trolling. The cabbage beds are all over up there and trolling can be an effective way to cover a lot of water.

Quote:

If the wind isnt blowing too hard and you are able to get up to portage, it would definitely be a good place to start trolling. The cabbage beds are all over up there and trolling can be an effective way to cover a lot of water.

That's one of my favortite trolling passes, but I hesitated because of the small boat issue. Likewise with the Grandview Flats. I've seen the lake go from dead calm to major league waves in a short period of time, not long enough to get home safe in a small boat.

Is Portage another bay on Leech? I am assuming that Portage is a certain area of the lake?? How deep is it and what area of the lake is it?

Portage is the most Northeast Bay. It's a BIG one, and is where the Musky Rampage took place back in the 50's. You can effortlessly troll the break for several miles. You can launch at the RV park or Federal Dam, but there isn't a lot of population up there if you have to go to shore elsewhere. Gets windy easily, and is particularly nasty with a SE wind - been there, done that.

I hear ya about the wind factor otter. Been there done that too. Thanks for all the help, hopefully it results in a large fat skee this spring or summer, maybe I'll make it up in the fall too. Are there any baits or colors that work better than others on leech?

Quote:

Any color is good as lond as it is black and silver.

I guess my choices are limited!!!! Thanks for all the help guys. I appreciate it and I'll post a pic IF I get a nice one.

GoggleEye

Stop at reeds and pick up some hijackers and head to portage bay. I like brown and yellow or orange and black. Hit the cabbage on the NW side of portage and you should see and catch a lot of fish. Also try 5 mile point.

Thanks Wingnut! I'll pick up a couple and give em a try, hopefully I can post a success story afterwards. Good luck to you.

GoggleEye

Goggleeye, Go to www.jackshriver.com. You can see all the spinners and topwaters that he makes. I think you can also purchase them right from him. It would probably be a better deal. I know Jack and he's a great guy who has many hours of muskie fishing on Leech under his belt. The lures are very high quality and the fish love them. His hijacker buzzbait is featured in Feb. '07 infisherman. I caught a 50 incher with one of his buzzers on Labor day weekend. Check it out.

Thanks wingnut. That website was interesting. I'll definitely be picking up a few of those baits before I give the ski's a try this summer.