• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Minnetonka

Anyone been out to Minnetonka yet? Sitting in the office is killing me w/ the warm weather that we have been getting. Is the ice still ok to drive one? I was out this past weekend and have been nailing nice slab crappies in 32fow around an inside turn on a 45 ft hole, west end. I hope I can still drive on the ice by end of this weekend. Also anyone been hitting eyes? I have had no luck yet hitting eyes on tonka. Any info will help. You DON'T have to get coordinates but generally area you have been finding them and either west/east end. Thanks...CATCH&RELEASE!!!

Ice is still plenty thick. 26" where I fished last night. Walleyes on west end are hard to nail down this late. I've been chasing them for a long time and finally threw in the towel. When Feb rolls around I chase crappies. The east end has been better of late for walleyes. Deep water 25ft to 30ft off of some shoreline structure has been the best of late. You'll need to take it from there. Good late ice walleye spots are not going to be shared on this open forum.

Good to hear that the ice is still good! Hope this weekend will help more too. I need to put more time before spring gosh! But thanks for the info. I havn't really hit the walleyes hard yet but I've heard its good here and there. I tend to quit and hit the slabs out of there. Much fun! Do you know if its safe enough to cross bays, say wayzata to brown? Havn't tried it yet... always tend to hope around in the specific bay i'm in.

3 Questions:

1.)I know you guys mentioned earlier that the ice is ok to drive on because it is 26 inches thick. I just wanted to ask if you think this large snow storm will play any factor in driving on the ice. The added weight of the snow and all, do you think that will make it unsafe or will it still be ok?

2.)Also I am looking for any good bait ideas for catching some Northern on Minnetonka. I had luck early in the year with suckers and it seems to have faded away. Last weekend I used some extra large dead packaged shad and didn't even get one flag.

3.)Last Question. Are you having luck catching the crappies on crappie minnows or a different bait.

Any advice would be helpful.

Just thought I would give you an update from my recent trip out yesterday. I was out on Minnetonka from about 11AM until about 8PM. Ice was at least 25 inches thick still. The top inch or so was pretty weak and worthless, but there was still good solid ice underneath. I didn't catch anything but perch the whole time. By the time I left I had a good 1-2 foot drift of snow around my portable.

• 2 weeks later...