• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

40 Plus Mile An Hour Winds

The Cranker

Please everyone check with the resorts before heading out on the lake. Tonight we have 40 plus mile an hour winds and the ice is cracking up in some areas bad. Big Point, and north of Big Point has some real issues tonight. I just have gotten off the lake and it was unbelievable out there.

About 5pm the winds came and the fishing shut down hard! Cracks are opening up and ice heaves up to 15ft high in areas. As I sit here in the resort office, the wind is just howeling through the windows! There is plenty of ice but please everyone check with the resorts before heading out after tonights wind.

I will be out early in the morning and make some calls to other resorts and keep you posted of possible bad areas before the weekend.

Fish On!!!

As always your are right on the ball my friend. Thanks for the update! Have a good week! Might run into you this weekend if I can get away1 cool.gif

Tunrevir~ Almost forgot, can I have your autograph? I'd really just settle for your GPS!! grin.gif

I got caught in it...lucky I was only out about 3/4 mile in bay on west side...Barely able to pack up my old Clam and get gear in back of truck. Was about 50 yards shore side of big pressure crack. It had a good 10 foot gap when I left.

Think only casualty is my bucket of minnows..blew into crack. And a small tear in my portable. And some tangled equipment. Wind was strong for a couple hours, I was waiting for it to die down. Just the opposite happened. Whew!

Eyes were biting too btw.....

Cranker,

No bueno my friend frown.gif With the warm temps today and the wind that kicked up tonight, I was really glad that we weren't trying to come in from the flats tonight. I would bet where we crossed out near Big Point is a total mess confused.gif

that wind was brutal tonight. we seen one guys otter sled take off in the wind and it went about 100 yards. we did manage to catch a nice batch of walleyes tonight off the flats

We just got back, we went out of Liberty Beach at about noon today....fine day to be fishing, until that wind swung around to the N.W., you could barely walk against it!

We toughed it out in the open and used the truck for a wind break...pretty brutal conditions, but we managed to bag a few fish, 16 nice perch to 12 1/2 inches and 7 walters up to 18 inches.

Had to work for them and fight the elements, wound up cutting probably 35 holes, but the hunt is part of the game!

We threw the tackle box at em, buckshots to rockers and everything in between fatheads to crappie minnows and waxies. For me a hook and a minnow did the trick, one guy had his best luck on a fatboy, the other on a demon.

We tried from 21 feet out to 30 feet and had out best activity at about 25 feet. That wind was terrible! We left befor 6:00 p.m.

Thanks for the info Grebe. It's good to know that they aren't as tight lipped as they have been. I'm heading up tomorrow for a weekend at Appeldoorn's. Going to try my best at perch fishing on Sat for the tourney. The rest of the time everything else is fair game. I would like to put a couple of eater 'eyes on the ice before the season closes. Good luck to everyone this weekend and drive safe. Looks like a bit of weather is about to hit.

We got caught in it also. Our efforts fishing the whole day were a nice 26" walleye, numerous jumbo perch, and an eelpout.

When we were driving in we met up with a guy who kindly guided us over the bridge going over the ice ridge. The bridges are getting bad to cross over from 3 mile flat to the resorts on the east side. Beware!!!

How is the ice from sunset bay to hennipen island? I haven't seen many bad breaks there this year, but that wind may have blown something open. I probably won't be able to get to my perch honey hole north of big point now? It wasn't easy last weekend frown.gif

Just got off the lake from checking this area out. Our road is fine. I didn't see any issues any where from Big Point down to Hennepin Island. I seen a couple perminate tipped over from the winds. Big Point is a mess. The bridges in that area are not in good shape. Although the ice heaves are beautiful and pretty darn cool, the cracks have worsen and there is water just about everwhere. The ice heaves have to be 15ft plus in some areas.

Hunters Point has bridges out over the cracks that they have

its been a very trying year for George's crew. The ice hasn't been in their favor all year. My hat is off to his crew for the job they have done.

All in all, I think we came out of this good. Just make sure that you check in with the resorts before going out this weekend.

It should be a fun filled weekend with "The Perch Extraganza" sponsored by Johnson's Portside Bait at Hunters Point and "The Big Barbeque Cook Off" at Mac's Twin Bay Resort (Buzzies). People are coming from all over the country for this event at Mac's Twin Bay (Buzzies).

So enter the perch contest and catch a Jumbo perch and then head to Mac's Twin Bay and get your fill of Barbeque on Lake Mille Lacs! I know I will be at both events! See ya there!

Fish On!!!

any reports from the west side as far as ice conditions, was hoping to go out of garrison this weekend one last time!!

Cranker,

would like to get out to the flats tomorrow, can you recommend an access point to do so that would be safest/easiest?

Hunters Point will be your best way. George has bridges out over all the cracks.

Fish On!!!

I was out last night on Garrison's. The road was fine when I left this morning. He was doing a little repair work on the bridge, but all was well. Lots of pout!!!!

Quote:

As always your are right on the ball my friend. Thanks for the update! Have a good week! Might run into you this weekend if I can get away

Tunrevir~ Almost forgot, can I have your autograph? I'd really just settle for your GPS!!

Quote:

GPS!

Much more valuable!
grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Cranker,

Just got done watching Minnesota bound that i recorded from over the weekend. I guess you are quite the "celebrity" now. cool.gif

Maybe I would consider the Autograph, but still would prefer your GPS hot spots. wink.gif

See you in June, we'll be there for a couple days on vacation.

MuleShack,

I am not a celebrity!

Just a guy who loves to fish and hunt and share my experiences with others.

I will always help a FM er with GPS hot spots anytime my friend!

Fish On!!!

Cranker,

I was just givin you a little crap.

It's not everyday you know somebody that was on TV (for a good reason i might add grin.gif)

You came off as the professional that you are!

I'll take you up on the help when I come up in early June with the wife and my dad for a stay at Appledorns!

Thanks Muleshack!

We look forward to seeing you this summer.

Fish On!!!

cranker- I hope to be sending you pics. of the ICE BUGS soon (with the skis} The house worked very well in deep snow and ice as well. Take care. TC.