• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Good Weekend on the South Shore

Meadow Creek

The walleye bite has been steadily improving. The fishing is good. One house was at the 35-40 fish per day level and the other was at 30-35 fish per day. A plain hook with a sinker with a dead stick presentation worked the best. The heaviest action is in the morning.

On Saturday, during the power hour the walleye were really after my tip ups with a medium to large sucker minnow. I went through a dozen minnows in an hour.

I have heard credible reports of crappie from Mort’s and Sunny Beach about a mile and half off of shore.

There is also action north of the center bar. JR’s has a very good road out to that area. Groups are averaging 14-20 Crappies. There have been some limits. The crappies have been caught on both the rough and smooth ice.

The ice is between 30-36 inches on the smooth stuff, and 42+ in the rough ice. I was scouting off of Mort’s with my 42 inch auger and a 12 inch extension, and had the auger down to the crank case before I broke through. This was the exception, There was also a couple of inches of snow.

The bridge was put out early this weekend. The south side pressure ridge seems stable. The north shore pressure ridge has open water. You can navigate around it, but be careful.

The pressure ridges will see a lot more action this week with warmer temperatures. I would also pack the ice cleats. The ice is going to get slick.

Snow cover is very minimal. I have even driven our Saturn Sedan out on the ice. (please don’t tell my wife.)