• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hunter's Point

FishingwithJake

Thinking about heading up to the big pond this weekend. Anyone got any reports out from Hunter's Point? smile.gif

Drill a lot of holes and move with the schools! I had some success last weekend in deeper water on the rocks.

Not that I know of. I believe all their houses are on reefs. (i.e. Lakeside, Flamingo, 2 Mile, 3 Mile)

I've read the Mille Lacs forums quite a bit but have not fished the lake enough to know the difference between the flats and the reefs. Is the structure different? I've also heard people refer to the walleyes being in the mud or on the rocks or sometimes both. Do they have a seasonal pattern for being in mud vs. rocks? Why would walleyes necessarily be in the mud and not the rocks? I apologize for bombarding with questions, but some clarification would really be appreciated. grin.gif

Cranker, you want to take this one? I can help...generally flats are referred to mud structures and reefs are referring to gravel or rock structure.

irishjigs - Thanks for the clarification. So why or in what circumstances would a person target mud flats over rock reefs or vise versa?

In the winter, I usually base it on the time of the season. Early in the season I will fish rocks...partly because I can't get out to the flats yet(ice not safe). The forage I would say is a little better on the mud than the rocks, but that doesn't mean I will ignore the gravel structure all together. There are some real good gravel areas like the ones I mentioned above that all hold a lot of fish. In reality, there are fish every where...it's not finding them that's an issue, it's getting them to bite!

I know this is pretty general, but when you stop for bait on the way up, make sure to talk to the guy at the shop...almost all I talk to can be very helpful. Also, don't forget to talk to the resort...in your case George at Hunters Point.

One more thing, "The Cranker", who posts numerous topics on this site is also a very good source of information and a good guy to boot. Read some of his new and previous posts to get some more ideas!

irishjigs.

Fished out of Hunter's on Friday. Started at the Blue Jug, lots of small perch and missed one eater walleye. Moved in and fished some sandy areas with scattered rocks. Caught one 11" perch and saw quite a few smalls ones on the camera. Talked to a worker from Dickie's and he commented fishing had been slow that entire week. Good luck!!

You're right Coach...it was a little slow last weekend. Hopefully with the warmer temps coming, the fish will start biting a little better.

This weekend Hunters has the Perch & Pout Tournament, and next weekend they got the Perch Extravaganza! Should be some good times!

Thanks irishjig, I appreciate the information. Hopefully Saturday we'll catch all kinds of fish and I'll owe it all to you. grin.gif

I fished the flats out from Hunters Pt road on Monday afternoon. The road is marked well all the way out but not all plowed like stated earlier. Very much driveable though. The fishing was a bit slow, but they were there. We saw jumbos and 'eyes on the camera and flashed but hard to get a bite. Wended up taking about 6 jumbos home, no 'eyes were inticed to bite though. It can be frustrating to see them follow the bait but not bite confused.gif I guess thats how it goes. I hope to geive it another shot in the next couple of weeks!

Jake,

The walleyes are like any other predator fish. They will rely on structure to ambush on their prey. In the case of the mud. The mud carries many species of forage that are at the bottom of the lake such as the mud flats.

You can sometimes see the mayfly larva that is lying at the bottom of the lake on top of the mud. The perch and tulipee along with other bait fish eat this larva, therefore are present in these areas, In return these perch and bait fish will attract the predator fish such as the walleye, which feed on the perch and baitfish.

The rocks provide hidding places for both the predator and the bait fish. There are a number of minnows and fresh water shrimp, and crawfish that the predator fish are feeding on. Most of the time the walleye, pike, smallies ect.. will cruze these rock piles in search of bait fish.

I hope that this will be of help to you!

Fish On!!!

If you go read my post from my former name walleyechaser wich i can no longer use because i cant get my password sent to me. I have a report from my stay at hunters from 2-5 thru 2-8 we fished in one of there houses and had pretty good luck. Happy fishing and let me know how you do im comin back up on monday the 19th thru the 22nd and fishing out of hunters again. Thanks tongue.gif

Just returned from hunters earlier this afternoon. Jake if you want to send me a email I can give you a spot to try out. Had good luck last night and this morning on the eyes. I kept my 4 fish and also released a 22" and a 25". Had one smaller 13" and missed a few fish. I'll be back up on monday and tuesday to end the season. There were only 2 other houses anywhere near me. Email is [email protected]

I was fishing on top of the mud in 24'. All of my fish came on a silver buscksot with minnow head. They were fussy but if you teased them enough you could get some of them to bite.

Sounds good!

Two of us are going up Friday AM and fishing thru the night and then maybe hitting the tourney saturday at Hunters!

Thanks cool.gif

Cranker - Thank you for the information, I'm very appreciative of your comments.

Winonaman - I will check out your report and let you know how we did.

Binsfeldnick - You've got mail!

Hopefully one of these times out on the pond I get a chance to meet some of you. I'll be fishing Saturday in the Perch & Pout contest at Hunter's. I look forward to trying some of the areas and techniques you've all described. Once again, thank you everyone. smile.gif

binsfeldnick i will be up on monday thru thursday just woundering if you want to share your spot with us or even maybe get together and try are luck. let me know send me a email [email protected] we are going to be up by noon monday. happy fishing and get them biggins. tongue.gif

Hey fishingwithjake is your name actually chris. I've gotten mail from a few people who want to know the spot. Let me know what your email is and I'll check if I got it.

binsfeldnick - Tried the spots you told me of on Saturday morning. I got out there around 6:00am and was graphing fish all morning. Caught two walleyes (19" and 22"). It got slow by 10:00 so we picked up and moved towards the reefs. Caught one 11" perch at the spot I referred you to. Again we graphed fish there all afternoon but couldn't get much to bite. Hope you do well on Monday and Tuesday. grin.gif

Fishingwithjake sounds like you had some action just hope we get some.I will be meeting up with binsfeldnick either monday or tuesday up on the pond.Thanks for the imfo i will pass it on to him when i talk with him he is on his way up as i type wish i was but at 6am im on my way. Happy fishing and get them biggins. tongue.gif

Hey Bob, sorry I didn't get to meet up with you guys on Tuesday. I ended up fishing on the west side of the lake for the evening. Didn't do very well over there. Had to try some other spots for the perch contest this weekend. I tried calling you on tuesday afternoon and left a message to have you meet me this morning at hunters. Didn't do to well on the walleyes but got some nice jumbos. My dad and I both lost 1 walleye and I caught 2 little ones. Are you guys going to be up for the perch contest?

Hey nick sorry it took so long to get back to you but we left hunters on thursday morning with a 6 eyes 18-19 and a pile of perch wich none came out of hunters house because he had them in a bad spot wich i was told by nate one of his ice crew members.We went out to the mud by the boot in the am and back out in the evening had good action.When you called me u called my home phone not my cell so never got the mess. Anyways after we left hunters we went up to lake of the woods and man did we get some action there.Lots of eyes 12-29 inchs and some dandy saugers to boot. All in all we had a good week of fishing and may be back up for some perch action in march.It was nice to have met you and who knows there is allways a chance we will wet a line someday lol. tongue.gif