• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Jerky/Sticky drag

Iceman12

Question

I have a brand new reel and the drag is really jerky on it. It's a JR's tackel reel so I don't think the quality is bad. I checked and it doesn't look like it has any grease on it. Is this the problem most likely?

3 answers to this question

Have you pulled the reel apart yet? It could be something is just lodged in there. Is the spool drag jerky? I would take it back to the place you bought it from and show them what happened first, sometimes those reels are tough to re-assemble properly which would void your right to take it back.

I ordered it online last year and the first reel had the same issue so I called and they sent me a new one. It was the same way and I didn't have time to monkey around with it then and kind of forgot about it. I have 2 of the reels. I just took the spool off and looked, later this week I am going to really look into it. The drag works it's just like it is sticky or something. It's not smooth. That's about the only way I can explain it.

If you have had TWO of them with problems the best thing you could and should do would be to send them back and request a refund. Then go buy a brand name reel of some sort.