• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

This weekend will be my first time ice fishing and I was hoping for some pointers from the more experienced anglers. I'll be heading out to Green Lake with some buddies. Any tips would be greatly appreciated (could range from hot spots, equipment, lures, etc)... Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

Get a lake map, find the deeper holes, drill a buncha holes, and be mobile. o yea, and stay warm wink.gif

If your thinking of hitting green by chisago, I would hit the large shallow bay on the south end of the lake. Please remember that Green by chisago has a 9" slot for crappies.

I second what Deitz said, Glyers Bay I believe is what it is called on the maps. Take an immediate left off the landing and head towards the big group of houses. There you'll find bass, sunfish, crappies, pike and an occassional walleye depending on where you set up. Most of that area is 5-8' of water and the panfish will hit most offerings. Pike, bass and eyes tend to like the shiners under a tipup. Small hooks and jigs with larvae, waxworms or small minnows will take panfish. Goodluck for your first time out that is a lake that you can have a ton of fun on just catching and releasing!

Tunrevir~ cool.gif

I too will third what deitz has said. I have noticed on green that the size of your jig is not as critical as it can be on other lakes, as long as you have an ice buster bobber you should catch fish. If i were not using a bobber i would go with a smaller jig tipped w/ a waxie.

Also, throw a tip up or two in the water, pretty good chance at a pike or two

I pulled an 8 lb walleye out of the spot to the left 2 years ago, in 6 ft of water on a #12 tear drop tipped with 2 waxies, fishing for pan fish.

I thought it was a 5-6 lb pike on the Vex when it went through the first time, that red line was HUGE, seeing as we were in only 6' of water.

Anyways, you can either fish there, or there's a spot straight out from the landing, about 1/2 way across the lake, where there's another smaller group of houses.

It's in a hole that's 25-30' deep, where alot of people will target crappies. I've caught them both places, but I'll usually target the shallower area, since I usually have my 4 year old with, and it's easier for him to pull up 5' of line and not tangle it, than 30' of line.

i have also had success in the hole straight out from the landing. but if you don't have a graph i wouldn't even bother w/ that spot, the most success i have had there came w/ suspended crappies (little harder to catch without a graph)