• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

lake access rates

dmengel

Exactly what I was thinking Labs. (although admittedly you have more first hand knowledge about the whole arrangement than I do)

It's not JUST a season pass; It's a season pass AND helping maintain a road which also goes to the Minnow Station's rental shacks.

Which commendably is the right thing to do.

It doesn't surprise me that Kelly and Buddy treat each other well since it's my understanding that they've been life-long friends AND they're from the kind of a community where working together is much more than passes and roads; it's a way of life .

Every guy should be lucky enough to have just one such life-long friend.

I realize this way of life can be hard to comprehend for someone whose entire life experience is the ME FIRST world of the big city, but people just work with each other and help each other out amazingly well when they've grown up together in small communities; I've seen it first hand.

I spent the first 23 years of my life in a very rural farming area, went to K and 1st in a one room country school, then 2nd - 12th in a town no bigger than Waskish.

Now that I've spent the last 21 years in St Paul, I envy guys like Kelly and Buddy who stayed and guys like Jon who've returned.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shadyzr

• Random guy

• kelly-p

• dodgeman

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Quote:

Quote:

Maybe you wouldn't drive a 1 ton across the middle of it and are taking precautions but by not providing the info that it isn't safe someone surely would and the results could be disasterous.

He did provide that info; his post specifically said:

no roads, no bridges; portables, snowmobiles, ATVs

I saw that. However, it did specificly address the issues of the safety of the landing area itself. I'm sure that's what he meant to say. There are a lot of folks who read this forum who do not post. It's important info to get out there as folks skim through this long thread.

Just emphasising it. Personally I don't care where folks access the lake legally. To each their own.

Have a great weekend everyone. I'm going fishing! laugh.gif

Here's wishin' ya tight lines and warm-dry feet and lotsa fun Borch. grin.gif

I'm gonna have my wife, 2 sons and 2 nephews in a sleeper on the north end of Mille for Sun, Sun night and Mon.

First off desperado if you look where I'm from it definatley is not the big city so you can keep me out of those remarks and I never said it was monetary compansation that was in doubt, It was meant as kelly-p recieves in the way of business when he helps keep these roads open. people like you read what you want into what other people say.....He gets many other benefits to help keep these roads open....it's not a direct paycheck....but indirect in the business he recieves if these roads are open.

Which is exactly what the second line in my post means:

"It's not JUST a season pass; It's a season pass AND helping maintain a road which also goes to the Minnow Station's rental shacks."

I'm thinking we agree at least on that much, eh?

The rest of my post is meant as insight for lifetime big city dwellers who have never experienced anything other than the me first attitude.

You're not a big city dweller and Labs is a big city dweller who has been around Waskish long enough to have seen, experienced, and understand the small community.

So . . . No Worries Mate .

As with everyone in life, there's some things we will agree on and other things we won't. But that's OK. I still hope for you as a fellow fisherman to have fun, safe, and productive fishing trips.

I'm not sure why people think resort owners have extra cash to spend, and no budgets to follow. Apparently resorters do not live by the same standards as the rest of the world. Because cheating them out of every little thing they can get buy with, seems to be "status quo". Resorters contrary to popular belief do not make much money, that is why you pay extra fees. The cost it takes to operate one truck is very eye opening. I'm not saying there's no money being made,but alot of times it isn't enough. I would be willing to bet that on a weekend fishing trip there is more money spent on booze than any 3 day access fee on any lake.

"A big heck of a job" goes out to Kelly P, and Jon P. Keep up the good work. You ever want a free pass on lake Winnie, you can work at my resort anytime!

Great post Highbanks, right to the exact point. I have a buddy that owns a resort by Duluth and seems to be donating most of his time. After being around him, Ill always pay the fees and not say a word. Resort owners make my life easier.

Quote:

Because cheating them out of every little thing they can get buy with, seems to be "status quo".

I'm sorry you feel like all the guys useing the public accesses are cheating you out of money!!! Maybe you need to pickit the DNR and have them out-law public accesses.

Hey, I'm sorry if what I can do leagally has offended anyone. But you, I, and everyone else is going to continue to do things, lawfully, that we want to do. No one is changing my mind and I am not out to change anyone elses!

Sorry if I was defensive, Kelly, Jon, West Wind or any other resort, I commend you for good service. I was 15 when my parents bought a resort in north central MN. We had it for 6 years, then my dad had a heart attack, had to sell it. He died 1 day after my birthday, 6 mos. later. So I do know a little about resort bussiness, its not easy.

Jon, I'm sure you know how to drive, I've driven commercially for 32 yrs., 2.8 million miles, No accidents, No DUI,Clean driving record. I'm kind of proud of what I do, and have accomplished. As I'm sure you are good at what you do! Good luck to all and good fishing. tongue.gif

WOW, this post has really "taken off"!! Everybody has the right to live his/her life the way they see fit. If you don't mind spending the extra money, fine...I'm sure the money is much appreciated. If you try to cut corners where ever possible to save some cash, that's fine too, that's what I do.

There is absolutely no way everybody is going to agree on this subject, so I think we should all drop it. Even though I try to save as much money as possible, I do understand where you other guys who spend more are coming from, there's nothing wrong with it. I was just a little offended when it was said in one way or another, I "we" shouldn't be out there if it's going to break the bank, it's not gonna break the bank, but it does make a dent in it. There have been comments made about it being just another cost, the amount of money spent drinking in a single night compared to the road fee, buying smokes, etc, etc...I can't speak for others on here, but I rarely drink, if I do, it's never in a bar because it costs too much. I don't smoke, I don't party, I always pack my lunches/water/soda before a trip to save money, etc, etc. I know I am not the ultimate saver, there are some things I might spend money on that I shouldn't, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's not just road fee's I try to save money on...I try to save money on everything so I can afford to go fishing more.

The end, I'm done and I hope ya'll can do the same.....

Shadyzr you keep doing the legal thing,no body said you couldn't. But I don't think it is appropriate to say resorters charge fees that the average man cannot afford.

Because we are the average man. It's your right to own a plane just as it is the resorters right to charge access fees. I'm not trying to change your mind, I'm just giving alittle insight on the otherside of the fence.

So do the people that dont pay just get on the lake somewhere else and then hop on a resorts plowed road and cross their nice bridges then? confused.gif

Well, as much as I will regret this, I will weigh in on this discussion.

First, there are two "free" direct public accesses onto Upper Red, East of the Line, that I am aware of. Also one "near-to" access. Also two "free" , plus one in the campground, on the Tamarac River, one of which has been discussed.

As for the river accesses/boat launches with any heavy vehicle, ARE YOU NUTS !!!??? More power to you if you can safely get away with it, but you will be passing over deep fast moving water. I would suggest you first fish from the last bridge down to the lake, in the summer and note the depth and water speed and force. There is quite a severe drop in that area.

As for the direct lake accesses, the one near the west line on the south side, is difficult ot get to, and unmaintained and you would unlikely be able to get on without getting stuck or ripping you undercarriage , especially with significant snow.

On the north end, West of Rocky, a road comes within one hundred yards of the lake, but is not reasonably passable for normal on-road vehicles even with 4X4. It is not a true access.

The other real public access is I believe, South of the Tamarac, west of the highway. It is also unmaintained, very difficult in a normal winter.

The other hindrance on these is that there are usually impassable ice ridges or cracks not to far out.

It is usually much easier to get on and lest costly to your vehicle and much safer to pay a reasonable access fee.

It does not hurt to get some recent fishing reports from those that really know, when you pay , and as others have stated you are more likely to receive the help you need when you really need it, without the gouge.

As far as the longevity of the Pass, each Private access provider has the right to set what ever rules they like but, they must clearly state what the expiration for going on and off is, and in regard to other passes as well.

Their property is privately owned and they can charge what they like under whatever legal conditions they wish.

However, every access has people coming off from all over the lake who have gotten on at different accesses.

So to penalize anothers customers, is to ask your customers to be penalized at a anothers access.

Charging too much, or by the day, or for each trip on and off the lake, is to discourage fishermen from coming to your business to replenish supplies, just like charging a high price for a small scoop of minnows.

People talk amongst themselves off the forums as well as on, and share their favorite Rental, Guides, Bait Suppliers, Food Suppliers, Propane Suppliers, Gas Stops etc.

If they feel things are getting out of line, people start bringing as much as possible from home to avoid spending one more cent than necessary at the lake, and this does not help local business in the least. shocked.gifblush.gif

MikeL, Last I checked Canadian is good money too, I will take all of it anyone does not want! grin.gif

I am absolutely amazed at what some people go through to save 8 freakin bucks crazy.gif

Comparing the cost of driving a 4X4 truck or SUV any distance @ 2+ $ per gallon, bait, extra tackle, food, refreshments etc, the cost of a access to the lake with usually a few tips to fishing is CHEAP . I usually costs me about the same in propane to heat the portable as that.

CHEAP No A reasonable rate FINE but I spent the week up there. I went out of the south end (I am not going to say what resort) with 2 other buddys and will never do that again i pay my fees grab a pop and some snack in the lodge and never got a hi bye or kiss my a%$ from eather one of the resort owners and both were standing there. It was like i was hassling them to do bussness there.. Got out the the lake and the other 2 guys said the same thing. I will find a different resort to give my 8 dollers to. POOR POOR BUSSNESS PEOPLE

Point being is that the Loonie is not legal tender in the US, but that as a courtesy it is accepted, often at par. Unfortunately, if a courtesy is extended on a regular basis it often comes to be looked at as an obligation or a right.

Quote:

Got out the the lake and the other 2 guys said the same thing. I will find a different resort to give my 8 dollers to. POOR POOR BUSSNESS PEOPLE

Business/service people are not all created equal.

The resort and access owners would have you believe there is a class 5 rapids in the winter where the tamarac enters URL. Truth is in the winter there is almost no current- especially this year. If you stay to the left and turn south away from the mouth there is no problem. When it warms its a differnt story.

Nope your right and thats the same guy that wants me to pay him a per day access rate. After getting treatment like that. Its kinda like I SCRACH YOUR BACK YOU SCRACH MINE.

It sure looks to me like people could catch a lot more fish if they spent less time complaing about such a small thing as access fees and more time fishing. (SOME) of the people that are complaing about the charge are probably the same ones that set up right next to Kelly P's houses!!!!

Keep up the good work Kelly & Jon confused.gif

That sounds like Chachi's... grin.gif If it is, I have been treated rudely there several times. Felt like I was as unappreciated as a sheephead or something by the eely pout on their faces... blush.gif I do not go there anymore. I generally stick with the regulars on the Eastside, and usually find them helpful... not snooty. smile.gif I do have to put in a good word for one of the Southside resorts, they have always been courteous and helpful, and their kids used to bring out Christmas cookies... after you paid the fee! laugh.gif

Quote:

The resort and access owners would have you believe there is a class 5 rapids in the winter where the tamarac enters URL.

all their tryin to do is keep people safe and away from bad ice. using the tamarac access is fine for you guys who have done many times before and know how to approach it. it's not fine for a newbie lookin to avoid the 8 dollar access fee. then they stumble across this post and see there are people using that public access, so they decide they might as well use it too. that's when not so much fun things happen.

I am not going to say which resort did this to me, but I came on to the lake and paid $8 fee and did some crazy hole hopping the whole day. At the end of the day I some how ended up at a whole different access. And as I was trying to come off the lake and got flagged down, the person perceded to say that I didn't pay the fee for his road, so get off. We had a few exchanges of words, and he doesn't even own the lake. From just that experience I will never use that access and anyone I know won't ever use it. But I commend all the other hard working resorts up there, that every day in and day out, work their arses off just for us to have a few moments of PEACE. Thanks

Quote:

The resort and access owners would have you believe there is a class 5 rapids in the winter where the tamarac enters URL.

You're forgetting a couple things here.

1 URL and LRL are big lakes. As each high or low front passes over the water moves back and forth AND right into or out of the mouth of the Tamarac River.

2 The rocks that were placed there in an attempt to keep the current straight and the channel clear are now scattered all over. Drawing ground heat up and attracting the suns rays.

Why do you suppose that the mouth of the Tamarac is the first place on the lake to be ice free in the spring? Why do you suppose that the local people don't have a beaten path on and off the lake there?

As I stated--as the weather warms it is a differnt story. Lake level variations and water movements caused by atmospheric conditions are known as a Sech. Large bodies of water are much more vulnerable to these movements. At Washington Harbor on Isle Royal these movements resemble tides. Watching the Tamarac reverse direction at times is an amazing sight. The water bouncing up and down in your fishing hole is another example of this phenomenon.