• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Dahitman44

Park Rapids tourney

Dahitman44

Does anyone know if they will allow portables this weekend. It is going to be like -20 without wind chill. That may be too chilly for me without portables.

eyefever

They never have allowed portables in the past, probably to cut chances of cheating. I always use my old man's big red sled stood up with a chair in it. Put my back to the wind and bring a small sunflower with too. This year I'm going to wrap a coil of copper wire on the sunflower and put a little on the side of the hole to try and keep it open. Maybe it will work.

softballfisherguy

I thought "Hitmen" were tough??? grin.gif It'll be interesting to see if the forecast stays that cold, and if it does - it'll make a huge difference if there is wind or not. It's kind of a catch 22 -- sitting outside in the cold sucks - but it also may deter a lot of other people from going too, so in reality your chances should increase right???

Dahitman44

Right on, my Brothers.

Yeah most Hitmen are pretty tough, but this one does not like the -20 temp plus wind.

Ick.

Good Idea to bring the sunflower -- I may do that.

There is no question it will reduce the number of people out there -- but will the fish bite???????? or just the Frost Bite?????? grin.gifgrin.gifcool.gif

huntnfish

Good luck at the tourney, hitman. I keep meaning to try fishing a couple of those but have never gotten around to it. Make sure you let us know how you do. Maybe you'll catch one of those 10 inchers that you are so well known for and win the big prize grin.gif.

Dahitman44

That would be my luck.

I might pass on the tourney after all. The more I think about -20 plus a 20 mph wind -- my teeth start to chatter -- and I am inside the office!! grin.gif

We'll see -- it will be a game time decision.

If we get more snow I know what my answer will be -- sledding! cool.gif

eyehunter

Maybe you just need to take along a little more diesle fuel....if you know what I mean grin.gif

softballfisherguy

In the Park Rapids forum it says to check on tickets - evidently there is a limited number - I called the Legion to get some info - they said that Skeels in Fgo still has tickets. I asked about portables - she said they'd allow tarps or windbreaks of some sort. I forgot to ask about electronics - do they allow Vex's at tourney's like this?

Dahitman44

Yep -- Vexilars are ok -- or at least they have been in the past.

What is the gal's number you had? Are you sure about portables?

Haug Hunter

If you make it a last minute decision buy your ticket before you go out, because in years past they haven't sold tickets on the ice. At least this year you shouldn't have to worry about the flooding!

Dahitman44

Right on.

I really hated that.

My feet were frozen

softballfisherguy

No - not portables -- but a tarp or blanket or something to use as a wind break (one sided - not enclosed) is how I understood her. I guess that means you have to bring a stupid buddy to hold the blanket on the up wind side of it??? wink.gif Number I called was 218-732-3360.

Dahitman44

Yeah, that is what I have a lot of stupid buddies.

Woody -- what are you up to this weekend?

Just kidding, my Brother. wink.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifcool.gif

softballfisherguy

Update - Skeels in Fargo no longer has tickets - they had to send them in already. You can reserve at the Legion by phone (number in above posts and no credit card - just honor) they'll hold them there until 11:30am on Saturday for you to pick up.

Just2fish

How about an update on the tourney? Anyone survive the elements and win anything??

softballfisherguy

I decided to give it a whirl. Hit the ice at about 1:10 and I called it a day at about 3:00 (tourney went until 3:30). I had a bite in the first 5 minutes - lost my bait - then notta after that. First hour wasn't too bad - then it got colder and windier it seemed - I was cold when I left. Lines kept icing up and holes kept icing over, but other than that it was kind of fun to give it a try. I didn't stick around to hear all the results though.

Dahitman44

Soft --

You are a better man than me.

Too dang cold.

Did ditch bang on the sled, however. Gave the kids a ride for 20 minutes, then we all went inside to have hot cocoa -- at least that's what they had. wink.gif