• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
mamohr686

Baudette/pine island area report 1/27-1/28

mamohr686

I was one of the crazy ones who actually fished last weekend. We stopped at Red Lake on our way up from Alexandria on friday 1/26 and had a great walleye bite. We never managed to catch a fish under 18" so it was a total blast, and everything got released. I did miss one bite that seemed like a crappie, but I never got a school to come through. I talked to a few guys staying at wigwam and they seemed to have all had a great time before the major cold front hit. One guy showed me pictures of a 29" walleye still on his digital camera he caught shallow in the lighthouse gap at 2:30 in the afternoon. We got up on saturday morning and had a nice wind about 40mph and temps way below zero, I couldn't find the spot I wanted to set up with near white-out conditions so we ended up fishing a few miles out where some previous good reports were. Fishing was slow and we only caught about 5 fish before 11:00. Normally I move until I find decent fish but it was so brutal and my wife couldn't help me much. With my otter cabin and my Mr heater cooker on high I couldn't keep my holes open, even with my suburban blocking the wind. At 11:00 we left the lake so my wife could eat some hot food and replaced our shiners that froze overnight in the truck, I didn't have much confidence in the fatheads that survived the night. I decided to go for broke and set up near pine island in 14 feet of water (12' under the ice) in an area where I caught a trophy walleye a couple of years ago. About 3 or 3:30 My wife Niki caught a 20" walleye that is her personal best. It was just over the slot so we snapped a picture an let it go.

112-1252_IMG.jpg

You have to love all the ice on the inside of the Otter!

A Little after 4:00 I dropped my spoon down and out of nowhere a giant mark on my vexilar comes flying up and crushes my bait while it was still falling (I was using an angel eye hammered copper spoon with a red hook and shiner head). Niki was a really big help and pulled my vexilar transducer out of my hole and cranked up the other lines in house while I battled the fish. I had a heck of a time trying to get it up the 8" hole but somehow I managed to get it. I measured it on a fish ruler and it went over a whopping 31" actually tying my largest walleye ever that I caught at tobin river in canada. I released the fish after I got a couple of quick pictures, and the length. That fish really make my entire weekend, I keep thinking how lucky I am with big walleyes.

112-1254_IMG.jpg

112-1256_IMG.jpg

Sunday was much better weather wise because the wind died. The truck thermometer was reading -15 when we hit the lake and finally found where my dad had been having good luck in the past 2 weeks. We drove 1.1 miles past pine island in the area near some adrians sleeper houses and fished in 27 feet of water (25' under the ice) We had a respectable morning and caught about 6 keeper fish or so before 10:00am. It seemed like every so often a large school of shiners would show up on the vexilar in 10 feet of water and then soon after a nice walleye or sauger would follow. I even managed to catch another slot fish that was in the 4-5lb range.

112-1259_IMG.jpg

It wasn't the fast action on lake of the woods that I'm used to with the major cold front but the big fish make it a really memorable trip. I think the key was finding a few active fish that were still following the baitfish. This same area had been producing huge numbers just last week. I would start a few miles out in the morning the go shallow midafternoon and go for the lunkers.

fiskyknut

Sweet, perseverance pays off bigtime eh! Was good in there in December too!

Another one bites the.....AE spoon!

Congrats on them nice fishes.

widetrack

That 31 is a dandy... Nice one!

That frosty shack looks a lot like the day I cured my wife from the ice fishing bug... but first you need to bring them on a long sled ride... grin.gif

Lip RIPPER!

Did you pound her all the way up to Hay Island?

Skyndalive

Wow, great fish!....congrats