• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Driving on Sarah?

Carp-fisher

There driving on the Westside full size trucks if you look to the East from the launch there's no one out that way only 8" last friday to the west 15" of Ice.

Thanks. Looks to be a cold one this weekend. I may just have to limit myself to a place where I can drive up to my spot.

Tim keep me posted. I dragged my Otter out to the east side and did OK couple of weeks ago but that's a long haul in this weather. With the temps over the weekend we should be close to 12" where the open water was. Hoping to get out there Sat. You going to be there?

Quote:

Tim keep me posted. I dragged my Otter out to the east side and did OK couple of weeks ago but that's a long haul in this weather. With the temps over the weekend we should be close to 12" where the open water was. Hoping to get out there Sat. You going to be there?

I'm thinking about heading out there, I'll see if Casey and Mike T. have any ideas. Where was the open water? My wife will be working all day Sat. and Sun. so it frees me up abit. How about you?

Carp fisher if one of your spots is the area Casey fish's you'll be okay to drive out to. Mark it was a hassle taking the wheeler no way could I drag all my $hit to the Eastside most likely be there Sat. The kid and my nephew are already saying they don't wanna go out gonna be to COLD so it looks like it will be just me. We drove to that spot we fished last year.

The open water was east of the access through the narrows but east side was frozen the whole time. So it's just a question of getting from the access to the east. I don't think it it is an issue by now but I don't exactly want to find out otherwise. I'm planning on being there Sat AM and maybe longer depending on the bite. Last year I fished Sarah in that cold snap and did well. It was so cold I put my Pepsi on the ice for maybe 5 minutes and it was frozen solid. Tim thought it was pretty funny.

OK Tim I'll see you there on Sat. Save me some fish. Is Brent going to be out there swiss cheesing the place again? I can match him. My Nils is perfect for drilling 100 holes. Maybe I'll let Brent try it out and get all those holes drilled for me. grin.gif

Quote:

OK Tim I'll see you there on Sat. Save me some fish. Is Brent going to be out there swiss cheesing the place again? I can match him. My Nils is perfect for drilling 100 holes. Maybe I'll let Brent try it out and get all those holes drilled for me.
grin.gif

What time in the a.m. are you guys plan on heading out there?

Is there any 1/2 ton pickup trucks driving out to the railroad tracks? Hows the fish biting out there?

Hows it going Tim? I see you've been hitin' Sarah up lately, hows it been? I was up at LOTW last wknd, and now I got the itch to headout to Sarah.I don't know if it's worth the trip that far if all I'm gonna do is freeze my A$$ off. Post me back with some motivation.

Matt it's been hit or miss still doing pretty good I'll see if I can find your email address and shoot you some pic's of a few of the fish I caught. Full Size Trucks cruising over by the tracks

I heard from a friend that a access on sarah is closed and can't be used. Is this true

He showed me a artical in Sportsmans Mag. Feb 27, 2007. It said that the west access an sarah is closed this spring.

It was a touch brisk setting up out there yesterday but not bad after that. I only managed to drill about 30 holes to locate fish and not the usual 80 blush.gif. THe only part of me that got cold was my hands but the holes were freezing and filling with blowing snow really fast. The fishing was slow. I hit 3 different areas of the lake. Area one the fish would come and go but could pick one or two off here and there. Area two, marked lots of fish but they were inactive and small. Area 3 marked lots of fish and they were really active for about an hour. I didnt make it out until 9:30 due to appraiser coming over. It was probably a little colder for tim as he was there at the normal 6am. The ice seemed pretty good all over. I even did a bit of probing and driving on the area that was open the last and it was fine. I need to pick up some spring bobbers. The crops were biting really light.

Yeah I ended up not making it out to Sarah. I chased some trout. Walked out to my spot, drilled one hole and then broke the pullcord right off the auger. So I ended up hunkering down on and catching two nice rainbows and losing two more at the hole. Not bad for an hour of fishing. I think the Buddy Heater was my key to success...

Did Ok for both crappies and sunnies myself on Sarah fishing some different areas than usual. Size wasn't constant but with a little sorting you would do OK. Like Moby said very light bite but I had my spring bobbers. Really had to watch them for just the slightest movement usually up. It was so cold the holes were shrinking at a pretty good clip. My transducer cord actually got frozen in solid at one point and I had to chip it very carefully. I was just draping it along the edge of the hole. Never had that happen before.

I'd have to say at least 20". Mark had the same problem with my ice ducer freezing to the hole just hanging it down the hole, Mark did you have your heater on at least lol

Yeah I broke down and turned the sunflower on mostly because I dropped my bobber reel in the minnow bucket and it froze solid. I've got rod holders but I just got lazy and set the rod on the minnow bucket. Not paying attention as I reeled up a crappie on my jig rod and splash. The real fun was a sunny my friend caught that got my jig and my bobber lines. That was a 15 minute mess.

Was on sarah 3 times this week and the ice was fine. Crappies bighting good by the narrows. And really good sunny action straight across from the access. Also picked up a few by the channel. Wouldn't take a full size truck to close to there. A little iffy. But got off the lake dry.

• 4 weeks later...

Ant news on how driving conditions are since last weeks storm? Any roads that lead to the east side? Wanna get out there saturday for a bite...

Monday night the snow was pretty deep - 2 guys in a 4x4 Ranger got stuck about 50 yards off the landing but managed to get off - they parked and walked out. No plowed or packed roads. Vehicles with good tires and clearance might be able to drive. That was Monday - it may have changed.

i was out there today, and there is a road plowed clear accross to the east side...

I'm gonna try to head out to Sarah this weekend. With the warm weather, you think it will be safe to drive on yet? I don't think a couple of days of above freezing is going to melt that much.

Anyone make it out this weekend? Planning on heading out tomorrow late morning. Just curious if there is any action and how the ice is.