• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Are we going to see Ice on the Big Pond? (aerial pics added)

I have wanted to head out and ice fish from Duluth area. I'm hoping this cold periods keeps up.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Deep_Sinker

• Quickstrike

• SKIPPERS KID

• fishane

Took a look after getting back in this weekend and didn't see what I expected. Still a bit of water out there. I would just say wait for Northlander to post about it. He usually does after he has hit it hard for 3 or so days.

It didn't happen last year but with no wind it might in 07'. If you find the good stuff be sure to share with us.

Good luck and be safe, Lake Superior is no joking matter!

Man I sure hope we can get out there but its not looking good now. NW winds like tonight will push it out. We need some NE winds to push it to the shore and COLD to lock it in.

Hello Nothlander smile.gif

I'm no expert on the Big Lake, but from previous experience around Ely, if you don't have much/any ice by the 15th of February, you are in trouble! shocked.gif The daylight/darkness factor comes in which means the sun gets some butt kicking ability by that time if there aren't many clouds! Looking bleak for you. frown.gif

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

With the hot summer and unseasonably warm start of winter, the lake hasn't cooled much. So I have doubts about any fishable ice but you never know what might blow in.

2 years ago was very short but 3 years ago we did pretty good off of Wi.Point.

well, someone needed to bring this up again. Today, Super Bowl Sunday, it appears that the west end of the big lake is covered with ice for the first time this year. the forecast calls for fairly strong NW winds (bad), but continued very cold (good). If the cold continues and we get some calm nights, maybe by next weekend the brave and courageous can get out after some lake trout? Does anyone know how far north the ice goes? Keep your fingers crossed!! smile.gif

I'll be driving up to work this afternoon and I'll post a report on how far up she goes.

You wont see me on any of this ice, its not good locked up ice. Heck it could be there at 7am and gone at 9am with you on it. No thanks! No fish worth my life!

I was hoping my eyes were playing tricks on me at 7:10 AM coming down 21st Ave, but...I sure wouldn't be out there.

I was at fitgers yesterday and there was a big white sheet of ice that has blown in. Like NL said its not locked in. Its there one day and gone the next. Be carefull.

Northlander, you fishin this week? I might let it warm up a bit before I get back out there.

I took a ride today and the ICE was moving north. Ice up to the knew boat ramp but open water at the french we need a north wind or north east wind and to stay cold I wish it would stay or go? well I will be out tomorrow to try for a fish hope the line don't freeze to bad confused.gif will let you now how I did.

I took a peek off the WI point on my way home today. It's iced in but the first 100 yards looks a little sketchy, like it just froze. Give it time.

With temps as cold as they are, i might go and look for some good ice tommorrow. I've got a spot if anyone's interested. wink.gif

She's locked in to Two Harbors with patch ice up to Gooseberry. Pray for no winds.

Well, I was hoping to sneak out on the big lake by Saturday (dragging a boat if necessary), but now with these winds I am very doubtful. Today, (Wednesday) they are predicting sustained winds of 15-20 with gusts up to 30 from the northwest. This is not what is needed to make it safe to get out in lake trout water. Well, maybe there will be some ice close in and can try for loopers/salmon. Oh well, frown.gif

How far out do you have to go to get into laker teritory? Just wondering, may try it someday if it gets safe enough.

How far out do you have to go to get into laker teritory? Just wondering, may try it someday if it gets safe enough.

How far well the depends where you are fishing the shore line very along the shore if you are fishing around town like off 21st I would start in 75-ft this is about 3 to 4 blocks off shore. If you are out off the lester I would start 120-ft this is about 7-9 blocks off shore. If you go off the north side of knife inland by the knife river I start 180 to 220 feet 3 to 4 blocks north of knife inland Those are just a few spots off mine be safe .

smile.gif

Today there was the first fish house off of 21st street. The ice went all the way too the pump house, where there was a new split in the ice. Watch the wind, nw,w,sw, and s are bad, with s,and sw the worst. unlike all that mumbo jumbo on inland lakes about "no ice is safe ice" out on lake Superior the ice cliche's are true. Good luck and food fishing.

Quote:

Today there was the first fish house off of 21st street. The ice went all the way too the pump house, where there was a new split in the ice. Watch the wind, nw,w,sw, and s are bad, with s,and sw the worst. unlike all that mumbo jumbo on inland lakes about "no ice is safe ice" out on lake Superior the ice cliche's are true. Good luck and food fishing.

There were 2 others up the shore, past Nokomis restaurant. They were in a bay, not far from shore, I imagine looper fishing. How is that done? Looper bugs, waxies???

There was also a guy sitting on a bucket just out from the veteran's memorial/Fitger's vicinity.

There is six inches of ICE out there. But the wind has to be right for me. I hope it comes out of the north or east then I will go then I now I will not be going for a ride. Till the wind is right I will not be out be safe.

I give that lake too much credit and you won't find me out there on that ice. I couldn't believe how many people i could see coming down central entrance today that were out on the lake! Hope everyone is being safe...if that's possible on that lake. I'm sure the ice is fine where I've seen everyone fishing but it could change so fast and it's over my head so I'll hold tight and stick to the poor fishing inland. Good luck to you brave souls! Also where is there open water along the shore? Or isn't there? I would like to go looper fishing from SHORE as these temps get better but it's kinda tough if the shore is all ice the whole length.

I live just off of 21st avenue and I couldn't believe it yesterday when I saw 4 portables out on the lake. I may do some crazy things when it comes to ice fishing, but not that.

There were 6 portables off of 21st this morning.....about a 1/2 mile off. Also, one at the mouth of the Lester.....not this guy, but I hope they are having fun smile.gif