• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

graphite rods

opsirc

I have been tossing the idea around of replacing my ugly stick with a graphite rod. I read some posts a while back where folks really like them. any suggestion for which ones to look at. I am looking for a spinning rod in the 6 to 6 1/2 ft range. any suggestion where to look in the twin ports area.

thanks

O

I really like the IM8 gander mountain guide series rods if you are on a budget. If you have a little more money to spend I would go with a St. Croix. They have excellent blanks and are about as sensitive of a rod as you can buy unless you go with a custom rod. I'm sure others will have some good input for this topic.

Superhawk

First question is what do you intend to do with the rod, ie. cast jigs, vertical jig, live bait rig, slip bobber, pitch for bass or pike, etc. That will narrow down a lot of powers and actions. Other than that, I'll go along with everying superhawk said.

Thanks guys

plan on using it mostly for eyes. mostly jigging and live bait, maybe a bobber once in a while.

opsirc,

for what you are looking to use it for I usually like a medium light 6 and a half foot rod with a fast action. I can almost guarantee that if you would go to a graphite rod like this you would catch more walleyes just because of how much more sensitivity it will have than your fiberglass rod. You will have to be more careful though because graphite rods do break much easier than fiberglass rods (getting bumped or stepped on, etc.) Have fun searching for your new rod, its always fun to get new fishing gear smile.gif, let us know what you get!

superhawk

How much do you plan on spending?

There are a ton of rods out there ranging from $30-$300. Give us a price range and we'll set you up.

Rost

would like to say money is not a problem, but with with 3 teenager, have to stay on the lower end.

thanks

O

That's cool. You don't need a St. Croix or Loomis to catch fish.

If I had $75 to spend, I'd look at these...

Mr. Wallaye Signature 6'2"- $50

Berkley Series One- $80

Eagle GT- $60

Shimano Clarus-$60

Cabelas Tourney Trail- $60

Gander Mt. Series-

Heartland Walleye Rods- $70

Scheels IM8 Tourney- $80

Stick with the Medium/ medium light actions

I've been jigging a Scheels Tournament IM8 series rod for the last 3 years, but I am thinking about making a change this year to that Mr. Walleye 6'2" signature series. It's a cheap rod, but I love it!

Good Luck!

Great advice Rost!... Might throw the Shimano Comre in there for $90 as well.

I bought a St. Croix Triumph last spring and for the money I love the rod. It is a 6'6" medium light power, fast action rod. I mainly use if for riggn' with long snells and crawlers. I use 6lb test with the rod and the sensitivity for a relatively inexpensive rod is great.

If you have to oprotunity to go to Park Falls stop in at the St. Croix factory. They have factory seconds that are less than new but still great rods. They also have reconditioned rods (mostly broken tips) that you can save a bundle. I was with a guy that bought a Legend Elite Tournament that had the tip replaced and he got it for $50! The rod is normally $300!

I think as long as you go with at least an IM6 blank and cork handle rod you will get what you are looking for. Try looking at Gander, they have a pretty good variety and there are usually times where the Guide Series rods are on sale for $10 less than the tag.

One rod that you guys should really check out is coming out this spring from Rapala. I had a chance to check it out last week at the dealer show. I would put it right up there with the high end rods in terms of quality and feel. I'm guessing that it will retail between $75-$100. I was very impressed.

Jason Erlandson

I have a few St Croix rods and love them. But I would have to agree with Dietz. Last year a purchased a Shimano Compre and a Shimano Crucial. I'm now starting to become a Shimano fan! If you haven't fished yet with the Crucial for walleyes..... you should give it a try. It's a great rod.

Take a look at the Quantum Alliance rods. New for 2007. They have an over the counter life-time warranty, no money to send-in for the warranty. They should retail around that 60 dollar range. They are designed as species specific rods so for walleyes look at the ALSW661M, 6'6" medium with a fast action. For slip-bobber fishing I would just keep one of the ugly stix's. Since slip-bobber fishing is mainly a visual presentation you really don't need all that sensitive of a rod.

St. Croix has a Legend Tournament Walleye rod that is beyond top notch. I own 2 of them. This technology is way out front folks. You will be able to feel the the fish breathe with this in your hand.

Worth every penny.

I agree with Jason, Rapala makes some quality rods, i cant wait to see the new ones that they will be coming out with. I currently use the Sportsman series rods they have, and for $20 you cant find another rod that will even come close to competing with the Rapalas. Make sure you take a look at these while you are out shopping around.

I own and have used just about every rod out there. I do enjoy using my St Croix scv, but they are spendy. I will agree with Dietz and a few others on the Shimano line of rods. For the money they cost, you get a pretty good rod and they wont break the bank. I was pleasantly suprised with the sensitivity in the Shimano Compre and Crucial.

If you would rather not break the bank, I would give the Shimano a shot.

All the suggestion as great. I think that I have used almost all of the one or at least looked at what Rost mentioned. I like the Fenwick GT eagle a very nice rod for the money, the Cabela's tourney trail is darn nice too, I myself have never been too sold on the lower end St Croix they don't have the feel that I am looking for. I have a couple of the lower end shimanos and I really like them as well. Might look at one of those mr walleyes rods this year the price sure is right. I might consider the Scheels IM8 that sounds like a heck of a stick.

• 2 weeks later...

Janson, Bobb-o,

were you guys talking about the Rapalas LONG CAST and Tournament series?

O

I had to move from the Twin Ports to the Twin Cities frown.gif I am not going to speculate on budgets and types of rods, that would be like a debate on which full size truck is your favorite. There are lots of good rods out there and you can find them in Duluth. Gander Mntn. has good deals and clearence items from time to time (although their in-house brand (Guide Series) IM-7 and 8 rods are very nice) but lack selection at times and its next to impossible to get some help from their lousy staff. Marine General on London Rd. and 17th Ave. E offers excellent service and selection, but higher prices. They also have sales there and good deals can be found. IMHO those are the best places to shop for rods in the Twin Ports, in otherwords where I'd go. There are other places but Gander has the best prices, Marine has the best service, and both have good selections.

• 2 months later...

after looking at alot or different rods, fenwick, berkley. st croix, shimano and so on. I deceided to pick up a Mr Walleye, Gary Roach series from gander today. The price was in my range and I like the spec on it. Never thought buying a rod could be so complicated, just too many good rods out there to pick from.

O

I would highly recomend a Fenwick HMG or HMX 6'6" single piece rod. I have had both for years. I also have a Gander Mountain IM-6 and IM-7 rod, which I don't like as much. They feel a little dead compared to the Fenwick. Comparing the Fenwick to my friends G-Loomis, I prefer the Fenwick. The reel seat, handle and guides on the Fenwicks are excellent. They also take the time to find the spine. It is truly a pleasure to fish with and very sensitive.

My second recommendation would be the St Croix Premier, Avid or Tourney.

Good luck and have fun shaking some rods.

I have several differnt Falcon Rods from ML to MH that are really nice, great feel and sensitivity. I think I paid about 90 to 100 bucks for each, give or take.

Last year i bought a fenwick 6' or 6'6" HMX, love the rod. but it is also the first nice rod i have owned. others have been cheap rods from when i was a kid and was not to be trusted with a nice rod. somehow they always broke when i looked at them wrong. confused.gif

I know the feeling, I lost at least 2 of my Dads rods when I was a young buck. Dang snot rockets would drag them off when I was preoccupied with other things!!!!! tongue.gif

Take a look at the warrenty for the Shimano's. Lifetime as compared to the '2' years for St. Croix of the same price. I do own both, and like them.

Good luck with your decision.

Nick