• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
masterpuppet

Heading to Mcquoid's

masterpuppet

hope I can get some help here heading up to the lake on Thursday. We are staying in a Mcquoids sleeper and for the second year in a row it will be very Cold have the fish been hitting on the south side of the lake? What is the best thing to in this cold? Is there a certain place we should see if they could put us? Any help would be great. Thank you Matt

Bartz

Welcome to FM Masterpuppet.

Well the weekend on the lake looks VERY cold. -1 for a high on Sat. When you come up on Thursday you will be a balmy 15 degrees. I was up this last weekend down the road out of Appeldoorn's. The fishing was tough. 4 of us left on Sunday morning with 30 keeper perch and no 'eyes. That's not to say they weren't biting...they just weren't biting for us. I heard that there were some nice fish coming out of some of the neighboring houses. We caught the majority of the fish on bare red hooks tipped with a fathead or a shiner. The perch liked the fatheads better. Like I said the walleyes weren't biting for us and we threw everything we had at them. We had a couple of cameras and never saw one. On that note I won't tell you what to use for them.....I have no idea right now. grin.gif

Keep warm this weekend and good luck.

wall_eye_assasin

masterpuppet, We just fished from Mcquoids last week, we were in 16 foot of water and fished out of a 10 hole house. The bite was very slow but ended up with a fat 26" walleye that hit a rattle reel about 3:30 am on a huge chub. If they have any houses out by hennepin island try to get one of those. Like said many times the house should be used as a home base and head out and find the fish that are biting from there. Good luck and let us know how you did. We had a blast and cant wait til next time.

GoggleEye

Masterpuppet, I usually upsize my baits quit a bit when the cold front comes on. I know this is probably the opposite of what everyone else does, but I firmly believe that if you want to catch big fish during the cold fronts, you have to put a large meal in front of them. In my opinion, those larger fish don't want to feed as much during the cold fronts and the only way to do that is to eat larger minnows so they do not have to be roaming and searching (ie.-burning much needed fat and calories) for several small meals. If they can munch on a couple nice 7 or 8 inch shiners and be set for the day, they will burn less fat and calories that they need to get them through the cold winter days. You are most likely not going to catch many fish doing this, but what you do catch will most likely be worth the wait. Go to the depths my friend! Just my 2 cents. Good Luck!

GoggleEye

jmschuetz

welcome to FM masterpuppet

headed to mille lacs next thur. out of Mcquoids as well

never fished the big pond but looking forward to it when u get back an info u have for me would be great.

Good Luck and Happy Fishing

stay warm

So_Cal_Ice_Fisher

Fished out of McQuoids all last week and it was Great!! Fished out of house #12 150yards off Malone Island and landed about a dozen eyes. Two were over 28" and even popped a pike at 30". Who says you can't catch fish in 20' of water and only a few hundred feet off shore. I must say Brad and his Team are First Class all the way!! They put us on fish and really took care of Every need we had, what a Great week!! Next Jan will be our 4th year in a row with Brad and his Team and we can't wait to get back>>>

Bartz

Congrats So Cal on a successful trip. Are you actually from So Cal?

So_Cal_Ice_Fisher

Flew in from Orange, Ca Jan 20th to Jan 28th for the third year in a row with a buddy and had a Blast!! Loved the good people, the beers and the weather!!!

Bartz

Good to hear that you enjoyed yourselves. You missed the cold weather though. With below zero temps for highs and wind chills in the -35 to -40 range it should make for some interesting stories from the weekend. Enjoy the So Cal warmth. grin.gif

walleye-dan

I am heading to McQuoids this weekend for the the 1st time. Does anyone have any feedback from their past visits? How was the fishing setup and accomidations? Also is there a resturant / bar close bye?

Thanks,

The Cranker

Hi Dan,

As you know McQuiod's is under new management. They have some really beautiful houses. I haven't met the new management as of yet. But, I know that they have a very nice facility's.

Thier are a few restaurant's in Isle. And if you are looking for a restaurant/bar I would suggest Buzzie's at Kevin and Karen Mcquiod's Resort. They have good eats and drinks.

Have a great time this weekend!

P.S. Just love the Artic Armour suit in this cold weather!!!

Fish On!!!

Rebeleye

walleye-dan,

If you do a search on McQuoids as the subject you'll find a bunch of threads on it.

We stayed up there twice this winter and will not be staying there ever again.

good luck!

tipup

Was at McQuoids two weeks ago. The houses are awsome to say the least!!!! Walked around in slippers the 3 days that i was there and stayed plenty warm. Fishing was slow at best but we knew that as the guys who work there and took us to our house had told us that it was. They also informed us that the fishing was a little better at other parts of the lake and we should take our wheeler and portable there during the day and use the house at night. Our last night there the fishing picked up proving that no matter where the houses are at if the fish are around they will bite. We missed 3 and got one nice 7.3 pounder(eye). All i can say is it was a good time and thats all that we wanted. Remember it is a big lake and you can not always be where the fish are, after all they call it fishing and not catching for a reason!! Good luck and let us know how you did!! grin.gif

walleye-dan

Thanks for the feedback. I will be up there tomorrow morning sometime ripping lips. When I get back in town I will give you a progress report.

Thanks,

walleye-dan

I just wanted to report on my fishing experience from the last weekend. The house was very nice and good service once on the ice. As for the fishing it was awful! The house has not been moved for a long time. They do not move them every week like they say on there website. I asked if they haved moved the house when we checked in and I was told yes. It was obvious that we were lied to. I would not go there again. Just being honest!!!

Thanks,

PBullet

Walleye-Dan - I had the same experience with McQuoids. Nice house, good service, apparently not a lot of effort put into getting it into fish. Fished for 2 days in a house with 14 holes and caught 1-6 inch eye, no perch. Tried everything. Our group caught a few fish in the portables Saturday night, but it was slow overall.

Have you been to the Perham area? There is an autographed picture of a "Walleye Dan" on the wall of the Sport Shop in town. I'm assuming that it is you as it is signed "red hook, white bead".

walleye-dan

PBullet - That is a picture of me / Walleye-Dan in Genes Sport Shop in Perham, MN. I caught that hog using a Orange Hook / White Bead. I have to thank Nick from Genes he sponsers me whenever I am in the area with electronics and rods and lures he is a really good guy & helps me with my guiding that I do on side.

I am sorry that you had a bad experince like my group. I guess we both learned a valuable lesson from the last weekend.

Better luck next time.

jmschuetz

I also had the same experiance at Mcquoids this past weekend

not very impressed with the fishing but the houses great.

only caught 6 pout one 22"eye and 4 small perch but made out well in cards. next time for me it is all Appeldoorn's grin.gif

Ebiz

I'm renting a house from Izaty's this weekend - do you guys know if they usually do a good job of trying to stay on top of the fish?