• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Driving to oak island

Can a guy drive a pick up to the oak/flag island area, i know they drive the bombardiers out there but do the resorts allow people to drive out as well, and is it even possible?

You can drive out there from the NW Angle no problem. Don't try it from the south shores.

fiskyknut

Thanks fisky, I was planning on going up through the angle, that'd be a heck of a drive from the south shores crazy.gif

Zach, it's a beautiful drive from Roseau to the angle, and then a peice of cake once you are on the ice road, out to Oak.

Hemlock,

I was told by a resort up there that i would not be able to make it out to oak island by vehicle, actually they just said that they don't plow out to the island, but i would imagine with the little amount of snow this year one should be able to make it with a pick up?

Zachp

I was at the angle two weeks ago. There is a road from Youngs Bay to Oak Island that is 40 yard wide. No problem getting out there. We drove right to Sportsmens to buy minnows and hit the reefs from there. The road also goes to Flag Island. Our guide actualy told us you can drive all the way to Kenora on the ice roads.

Hope this helps.

Todd

You were misinformed Zach. The islands depend on that ice road and it's one of the first ones in on the lake. As stated, it's wide, and the best road on the whole lake that I've come across. Yes, you can drive right to Kenora as well on the ice road. Aside from Oak/Flag, there are reserves on the ON side that depend on those roads. Once off the road, it is possible to go anywhere in 4wd....as long as you know where to go and where not to go.

Thanks for the info guys. How far would i have to go to find some crappies from the oak island flats? I'm hoping to get up there on friday and fish through sunday, if we do well on walleyes and have some time left over we'd like to get on some crappies.

Ask around with the locals at the resort, etc..but you should be able to find some around Falcon Island. It's a huge island, but either the west side, or the east side...I know it's vague, but it's a start.

Good luck!