• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
zachp

Driving to oak island

zachp

Can a guy drive a pick up to the oak/flag island area, i know they drive the bombardiers out there but do the resorts allow people to drive out as well, and is it even possible?

fiskyknut

You can drive out there from the NW Angle no problem. Don't try it from the south shores.

fiskyknut

zachp

Thanks fisky, I was planning on going up through the angle, that'd be a heck of a drive from the south shores crazy.gif

Hemlock

Zach, it's a beautiful drive from Roseau to the angle, and then a peice of cake once you are on the ice road, out to Oak.

zachp

Hemlock,

I was told by a resort up there that i would not be able to make it out to oak island by vehicle, actually they just said that they don't plow out to the island, but i would imagine with the little amount of snow this year one should be able to make it with a pick up?

snowgoose

Zachp

I was at the angle two weeks ago. There is a road from Youngs Bay to Oak Island that is 40 yard wide. No problem getting out there. We drove right to Sportsmens to buy minnows and hit the reefs from there. The road also goes to Flag Island. Our guide actualy told us you can drive all the way to Kenora on the ice roads.

Hope this helps.

Todd

Hemlock

You were misinformed Zach. The islands depend on that ice road and it's one of the first ones in on the lake. As stated, it's wide, and the best road on the whole lake that I've come across. Yes, you can drive right to Kenora as well on the ice road. Aside from Oak/Flag, there are reserves on the ON side that depend on those roads. Once off the road, it is possible to go anywhere in 4wd....as long as you know where to go and where not to go.

zachp

Thanks for the info guys. How far would i have to go to find some crappies from the oak island flats? I'm hoping to get up there on friday and fish through sunday, if we do well on walleyes and have some time left over we'd like to get on some crappies.

Hemlock

Ask around with the locals at the resort, etc..but you should be able to find some around Falcon Island. It's a huge island, but either the west side, or the east side...I know it's vague, but it's a start.

Good luck!

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Tpowers167
      Hi, I am writing on here to try to find the owner of some fishing gear that was left on East Rush Lake. I found it last Sunday morning and would like to get the gear back to the owner. If you can describe what you lost I'm willing to meet up and return your stuff back to you. I know how much it sucks losing your gear and starting over. Call me if you think it might be your gear.  Travis 651-315-9913
    • leech~~
      Best to contact the DNR and let them access it to see if they think it's an issue before you end up with a fine.
    • iiccee63
      No, I went out the north access that you can't launch a boat on. 237th and Granda off of North Shore Trail. Very north end of Lake 1.
    • Camp and Fish
      I know there's no perfect boat for all rivers and lakes.  But, I've had aluminum jonboats for 60-years with no problems, so far.   My question is....  what type of aluminum boat do you like for most MN lakes?     I like  a 1648 boat, but undecided on the bow type....  Flat bottom, modified. V,  or Deep V?   What do you like?     Thanks for your help.     
    • Mike Walerak
      Just a heads up that you cannot trap beavers on an WMA without a permit from the wildlife manager. 
    • nofishfisherman
      The cost is for sure starting to get up there.  I've been wanting to take the kids but I just can't justify the cost for a weekend of fishing.  All of ice fishing trips end up being guys trips where we all split the costs, then it doesn't end up being that bad.  I'm guessing the bulk of the groups that outfitters service are groups of guys splitting the costs and that is partly what drives their pricing.  If they were pricing the houses and services with families of 4 in mind they likely wouldn't be able to charge nearly as much.    I can't fault the resorts as they are pricing based on what the majority of their clientele are.  Very few resorts are out there getting rich regardless.  I do however think hundreds of dollars a night for a single room shack with plywood bunk beds is a bit crazy when you really think about it. I pay less per night when staying in high end hotels in down town Minneapolis.  
    • DWBMontana
      Lease is full
    • fishingMN4eyes
      Just booked our first LOTW winter trip this week. Interesting and funny😂 reading this thread. I thought the price for a long weekend was a bit steep, but like others have said, it's guys trip so we will be paying per person. I can fully understand the family angle.   Thanks for the laughs!
    • gunner55
      Not sure, leech~~. But her health may have a play into it, as about the time he was rebuilding our place, he started just after Labor Day 2013, she had a major accident while riding 1 of her horses. The horse landed on her & crushed her hips, so bad they said she was lucky to be alive & were afraid she'd never walk again.  Her not being around to do his paperwork actually caused some issues with some of the other sub-contractors at out place. Many surgeries later ,with them having to come down to Mayo for the last, she seems to be able to get by.  I agree to in that I think the business would be easier to sell with the bar & restuarant too. Another issue is that all her good help has had to find different work & would be very hard to replace. Know there's quite a few people  that are  still hoping they rebuild.
    • Pat McGraw
      FYI May have been mentioned before but just in case, there is a ridge running from Gold Island towards Breezy Point in Frazer bay as well.