• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
EyeNCrappieGuy

Spring Lake - Newbie lookin for some info!

EyeNCrappieGuy

Hey all -

1st timer here so be gentle cool.gif I'm planning on taking my wife out to spring lake this weekend and haven't ever fished it. I've looked at the map and have some spots in mind to start at but can always use help. I don't like to follow crowds and will be trying to find my own fish.

Does anybody know of current ice conditions and are any driving smaller vehicles out yet?

Any Crappie or Perch going at any certain depth and or time of day? How about Walleyes?

I want to get to know this lake and am looking forward to becoming a member of this site again. I was on here years ago, and work took me away up north for a few years and I'm just finding this site again! I missed it!

Looking forward to sharing some info with you all!!

MuleShack

I fished it at first ice back on December 7th, and it was hard to locate anything then. Picked up a couple perch on the first point out to the right of the access. I put a post up a couple days ago and someone said it was still pretty slow. i stopped by the north access a week a go sunday and some trucks were parking on the ice by the drive on, and other small vehichles were driving out. Not sure how thick the ice is. I was on the bay in prior lake on the south side (right up the road from north spring access)and there is about 12" there. trucks and cars are on the lake.

EyeNCrappieGuy

I appreciate the reply. Good to know I have my work cut out for me! So anything good going on U P?

I didn't realize there was an access off the North side of Spring? That may change my game plan a little! I guess I'll do some scouting and hopefully find some action for the wife's first time out this year.

Imkmfly

Just took my perm out on Spring this morning and put out about straight across from north landing. Fished for a while only some smaller perch. Ice is pretty consistant 11-12 inches everywhere I have fished out there this year. Everyone else I talk to say the crappie bite usually picks up around the end of the month or beginning of February. Lots of truck traffic out there on Friday when I was out there and a few today. Have yet to talk to anyone that is able to find walleyes there in the winter.

EyeNCrappieGuy

Thanks to you as well! Sounds like I'll be expecting a slow bite and if the weather cooperates I'll keep moving till I find some active ones.

Anybody ever try up really shallow after dark for the walters? I'm thinking of trying that approach.

MuleShack

Just fishing off that Island and lots of small fish on the vex. will have to sort thru them. i have seen a lot of VERY suspended fish out there. Talking 10-12'in 28 FOW. ...this is on south Prior

manmountain

I was out there last weekend. It was pretty slow. We fished the 2nd point from the boat launch and caught some perch. If we go back we will try near the deap water drop offs near the north access. I think I'd rather go to Harriet though.

shullbit

What's always worked for me on spring is the north shore along the treeline say about 15-20 fow. The city moved 170th over this past summer and now we have a little circle kind of by the lake on the north side just down from the winter access. Makes the drag a little less. Personally i wouldnt drive out on the lake anytime soon. The points everyone is referring to work well in the summer for me but i just seem like i'm wasting time over there in the winter. Hope my two cents is worth anything to you and good luck.

manmountain

I saw that little shanty town there and we decided to stay away from every one else. What a mistake that turned out to be. What have you been catching? Have you seen that other small group on the east side? I was thinking of trying those two spots.

EyeNCrappieGuy

Well thanks a lot for the tip. I took a drive around the lake today, and found the SW boat access, but couldn't find the North shore access, is it marked, or what? What road is it on, I took the road (170th I believe) past the Upper Prior landing, and continued down what I thought was the North shoreline and didn't see it.

Any one going to be out there Saturday afternoon/evening? We could exchange bite info if anyone's got a 2 way smile.gif

manmountain

It is easy to miss. The entrance is just west of the creek crossing. It is just a little dirt road in between two houses. I wouldn't have known it was there if I hadn't followed some tracks off the lake. There's a big bump at entrance so watch it.

EyeNCrappieGuy

Aaaah. Well that makes me feel a little better then! Maybe I'm not blind as a bat after all!

Is the creek you speak of the one that flows into Upper Prior? is it possible to drive a vehicle on this access and/or is there a parking area for foot travel? I have no ATV so I'm limited to either the Pathfinder or the two pegs that God gave me!

MuleShack

when i drove out there a week ago sunday, people were driving on the ice and then parking some of the trucks/cars on the ice close to shore and taking wheelers or walking out. Not saying that is the right thing to do, as there was an issue with this on Minnetonka or some other lake.