• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Deer Sheds yet???

Meat-Run

Wife and daughter found these just several feet apart while looking for morels yesterday. No shrooms to be had but these were a definite bonus smile.gifjernished.jpgshed.jpg

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shedfreak

• jkcmj

• Monks

• EatSleepFish

Wow that is a nice matched set. Its nice when they lay so close to one another. Thats the only time i seem to find them Up until today i found 22 sheds this year, 2 were matches and they were both right on top of one another. I found a mid size 4 point 2 days ago on state land and went out looking for the other half this afternoon. It took me 45 minutes once i got to the spot i found the 1st side. It was about 200 yards away from where i found the first one. I was pretty happy though, First set i have found that were not within sight of one another, and also it was 2 days apart. I also found a REAl small 2 point shed my first day out there on May 2. The matched set had no chew marks and still had the skin on the base, coulda been a recent drop! crazy. These were found on the state land on Ugstad road, I cant remember the name of the trail there where you park, but all were found not too far from the parking area.

Picture3-2007427.jpg

Picture3-2007428.jpg

Picture3-2007431.jpg

Picture3-2007430.jpg

SHEDFREAK32

Man you really are a shedfreak !! I quit when the steelhead fishing started getting good but now I might have to go give it another shot grin.gif Nice find

Hey guys, after a slight drought, i am amazingly back on track.. in MAY. Up until may 2 i had never found a shed in may, i have in june, september and november but never may. I went out this afternoon again to a new spot, still of of skyline but somewhere i had not walked yet this year. I found the first one next to a pile of deer bones. I walked over to the bones simply looking to see the skull, well as i walked up, sure enough a shed antler literally on top of another deer's bones!! Sadly though about a quarter mile away i found some more bones, and this skull was that of a buck. HOwever the deer had already shed its antlers before it died. The shed I found actually fit onto the deers skull, I wish i had my camera along! Anyways , about a half hour later and after a close encounter with a skunk, I found a decent size 4 point, I didnt look very hard for the match, but ill be out there again soon. The color looks so good because it was laying tines down, the back side is pretty white, not too often they fall like that. My tally for May now is 5 and in only 4 times out! 25 for the year!

Picture3-2007433.jpg

Picture3-2007432.jpg

Picture3-2007434.jpg

SHEDFREAK32

You have quite an obsession there shedfreak...how do you manage to juggle between hunting, fishing, and shed hunting?

Well I have kind of stopped fishing and concentrated on bein gin the woods. Soon I hope to change that though. I spend months and months scouting for deer prior to bow season and prior to shed season. I use a lot of trail cams as well. I was out this afternoon after work looking for the matches I found yesterday when I came upon a newborn fawn, probably less than 24 hours old! Unfortunately the little guy, yep it was a buck fawn, didnt make it. It still had the umbilical cord on it! The entire lenght of the body was only about 12 inches, by FAR the smallest one I have ever come upon. I dont know what happened, premature maybe. I snapped a couple pictures of him, and contemplated getting a mount done, but I need a permit from the DNR to take it to a taxidermist, and I dont have a freezer to put him in until that arrives. It was a neat find, but it would have been better if he had lived.

SHEDFREAK32

Picture3-2007435.jpg

Picture3-2007436.jpg

shed freak, that is an unbelievable find. its cool how many things you have found this spring.

here are our sheds from our deer cabin next to carlton. our group has found 16 in the last 14 months. i know thats not a ton for that length of time, but we are just getting started, here they are, a couple decent ones, only one match though. Picture850.jpg

I have found quite a few interesting things this spring. 16 sheds is a lot. Nice going, its addicting isnt it?! This is actually my first year looking in Duluth. I think my sucess is due to my scouting travel patterns and bedding areas of the bucks during the winter. I used to go shed hunting in southern wisconsin, but only a few times a year. I found 4 my first year and only a couple every year after that. I just didnt put in the effort. I studied up on it this winter because of all the bucks I had seen during the year, big and small. So 25 is a nice number to set the standard to im HOPING. Congrats on your 16 though. Isnt it frustrating not finding the match. I think I have a hard time because I go in the city limits and other people are picking them up. The 3 I have found were pretty exciting. The last one the most because I found them 2 days apart and a quarter mile or so away from one another, any other match I have found was within sight of one another. Keep up the good work though, and keep the post updated with your finds!

SHEDFREAK32

I had more energy after work than I expected and went out for a short walk. It sure is getting green out there in spots. I was fortunate to find a mid size 4 point rack. It doesnt have much for tine length, but the main beam is quite long and looks to be one of those racks that would have the main beams touch. Ill have to get out and find that match to make sure. I also found a dead 3 point buck, but didnt have my camera along to take pics of him. 26 now on the year...how do I keep going.. I honestly do not know When I had 20 at the beginning of May I thought it was for sure my final tally!!

SHEDFREAK32

Picture3-2007437.jpg

Picture3-2007438.jpg

Picture3-2007439.jpg

Great work shed freak.

I had a pretty good wkd. I spent about 2.5 hours looking this wkd at the cabin and found 3 antler. A couple decent ones at that, the cool bonus is that I have pics of both deer from sept. and oct. on my trail camera. I'm going back next wkd with a friend to find the other sides still out their. The bigger buck has 23" main beams and check out the curve at the end of the main beam on the other buck. Pretty cool.

CJ.

Picture305.jpg

Picture307.jpg

Picture875.jpg

Picture873.jpg

I went back and looked for the other halfs to the sheds I found last wk. My buddy found a matching set to one of them and then found another matching set, they laid 3 feet away from each other, it was pretty exciting. We did not find the other half of the big 8 though. We looked again on Monday with no luck. The woods are getting real think and we've decided to call it a year, maybe in the fall we will find more. Here are a couple of new pics. The first two are the matching sets, the one has a wierd rack. The last pick is how we hung all are sheds that we don't have matches to. We are working on hanging our matched sheds, we now have 3 matching sets total.

Picture900.jpg

Picture904.jpg

Picture885.jpg