• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
mlvaj

Right or Wrong??

mlvaj

I thought I post this. Yesterday while me and a couple of buddies were fishing on an east metro lake, a neighbor of the lake came out and started to scold us. He was saying that are we even old enough and do we even have fishing licenses to fish there? He was stating that we were keeping everything we catch, which we weren't, again the limit for crappies are 10 each and there's 4 of us. We only caught 23 to brought home, released a whole bunch that we didn't want. He also mentioned that he lets the CO(Conservation Officer) use his driveway to come and check everybody that breaks the law on the lake and take everything they have. Well, we answered back and told him that it is against the law for him to ask us for fishing licenses because he is not a CO, and that he has no right to talk and scold at us like that. We told him to call the CO, but I guess he never did because he'll end up with the ticket for harassment. I thought what he did was wrong and I thought I post it.

"another IT GUY"

That is totally wrong!! There are other things that might make this a bigger issue! I've never been in this situation but I'm I know how it feels!! Was it just your party out there??? It could possibly be a race issue ifyou know what I mean!! Who knows!! ML, what lake is this, so i know to stay off of it!! Hope it gets better for you! I've been out a few times and have been called racial slurs, but that's another story. I would say let the Authorities deal with this guy, it would be fun to watch!! smile.gif

fisherman-andy

I find it strange the he asked your party if ya'll were old enough or have fishing licenses. Sounds discriminating but I dont really think it was a racial issue.

Most people who own lake property houses tend to think that they own the lake that is behind their house. They will get irritated by any fisherman/angler that is fishing in their back yard and come out to scold.

I've been through that before and the words I use is "Sorry Sir, I am fishing or angling legally on this body of water."

If they continue to threaten me I will tell them to call the proper authorities or if they want, I will make the call for them. Always carry a cell phone on hand fully charged.

If the situation continues or worsens, I will simply get up and leave peacefully because it is simply not worth the time & trouble if my life gets threatened. I may report the incident to the local authorities.

Powerstroke

There is always someone who feels like its their job in life to be the busybody. I've been bothered by them many times.

As long as you and your party were operating within the law this person has nothing to say to you. Although it was inflammatory, the things you said to him were acceptable. Its always best to just move on without argueing, but offering to have him bring the CO is a good option. If it happens again, tell the gentleman that harrassing someone while fishing is against the law and you will call the CO to have him meet you on the lake. In any case you could just call 911....

but like I said before, Stay calm and avoid confrontation. If you feel threatened then call the police first, the CO is not gonna be as close as the PD.

The Grebe

A few years back, I was fishing an area out in Wright co. and we would do pretty good on the walleyes from shore.

There was a man and his wife down there and they were doing better then anyone...on the other hand, there was this older guy down there and he couldn't catch squat.

The older guy left and the couple got their limit of walleyes and they to left.

Pretty soon the CO shows up and that old guy wasn't far behind, pointing a finger. The CO asks me if I seen a man and a woman with a bunch of fish and I knew what was going on...the old guy got jealous and was going to snitch on someone...even though they had done nothing wrong.

I told the CO, "Yeah, I seen the couple, they had a nice limit of walleyes...15 apiece!" The old guy was standing off to the side with this stupid half grin like he had. just eaten a piece of bad cheese.

Man, that CO went on point like a blue ribbon bird dog! I told him I was just kidding, that the folks had no more then their limit, because they showed them to us, but he stayed right on it, wouldn't let it go...no sense of humor, that one! I just shut up and shot the old guy a couple of dirty looks.

Get this....after the CO had been gone for awhile and when we got ready to leave, the old guy was still down there and threatened to turn me and my nephew in for having over the limit, said he had our lic. number etc.

What a codger, we only had 4 fish each and the old turtle farmer still hadn't caught his first fish! Some people.

SupaMan

That person was probably trying to preserve the fishing, well, one way to piss that owner off is to post that lake on this website, and let everybody go fish there for crappies LOL... I know I will go fish that lake for sure... So tell us, LOL.. wink.gif

Burchoid

Throw a snowball at him next time. 4 vs 1.

McGurk

Quote:

Throw a snowball at him next time. 4 vs 1.

That'll help; why don't you leave a bag of garbage on their shoreline, too? That'll teach 'em! You represent all ice fishermen at all times out there. More than likely a simple conversation will cool them off. It's easy to yell from shore, but rarely will they scold you face to face if you aren't confrontational and not breaking the law.

And no, I don't think the poster did anything wrong. The shoreline owners DO NOT own the water, just don't leave them anything to yell about for the next guys! Most accesses and popular spots are turning into s**tholes already.

magic_minnow

If your innocent theres nothing to fear. I've had the CO check me numerous times and they are very nice about it. It was wrong for them to yell at'cha....but invite them to call the CO....wouldnt mind having a nice chat on the lake. hehe.