• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hunting Preserve

grizwald

I think I am going to start looking for a hunting preserve to join around the cities area so I can pheasant hunt during this time of the year and use it to train during the spring adn summer......does anyone have recommendations on places to look at?

There are many choices, where do you live? Would you like to join a private club, or a public one?

I have not used many preserves in the last 5-6 years or so. I did get to one this fall and I must say I was pleasantly surprised.... Royal Flush hunt club by Pine City. It had very nice grounds, a great lodge with fantastic food and is still within a reasonable drive from the Twin Sillies...

Good Luck!

Ken

I live in Roseville, I could pretty much go any direction. I would be game for either public or private depending on the cost.... I would like to keep it around a grand...I noticed some private ones cost a pretty penny to join, especially if there is a onetime fee. What are the benefits of joining a private one? Do you get better bird deals? use of the land to train during the summer? It seems as if a person could go to public one quite a few times before the total costs would be more that if you joined as a member.

I was looking at Wings North in Pine City and since it looked like you could pay $10 for the day, plus the birds.....Plus the $400 membership + birds seemed reasonible compared to someothers that I saw, If I wanted to go the membership route.....

Thanks for the info. I was out to one this weekend by Milwaukee WI, and got the itch to be able to hunting longer. The one out there was around $800 with 25 pheasants included in the membership and you could use the grounds in summer for training.

I belong to Game Unlimited in Hudson. Nice people.

Years ago, it was $527 first year and then $386 after that.

Anything close to the Cities it seems they require membership, but around ST Cloud, it is free and the birds are cheaper. If you want a little drive, it maybe worth it.

Like labs said, Royal Flush, very nice people and they have recently changed the memberships fee's. If you want to have fun, go hunting with John, it will be an experience your won't soon forget. He has some of the finest British labs around. Take a look at the Thulien hunt on their web site. John and 3 others joined us on this hunt. It was the best hunting preserve shoot that I have ever had. I was a member of Traxlers for over 10 years, they are another great facility. They treated us very well and treated the youngsters even better. The only reason that I didn't keep the membership going is my son turned 12 and now most of the fall is spent at the deer camp now that it runs 3 wks and hockey. Also, my lab turned 12 and she is done hunting, so it's not as fun going until I replace her. I don't have the heart to bring another dog into the family until she goes to the happy hunting ground in the sky.

I have been to both royal flush and wings north this year. Royal flush is a private only facility, but it is top notch. However, I have a Brit pup who is going to be 10 months old and all they wanted to know was who I bread with and if I wanted to stud my pup. When I told them my plans and agreement with the breeder they became a bit standoff ish with me. I will say the land they have to hunt as well as the facility is as good as it gets. On the other hand! I hunted wings north last week and thought it was great. We picked up 4 scratch birds in a very small area as well as our birds we put out. You get no dense cover at wings north (what I like) but they seem to be great people with a nice set up. You make the choice just my .02.

LovenLifeGuy

I think that shooting preserves are a great place to continue or extend your hunting season. I did not realize how much these types of set-ups can do for a person and their favorite canine. I was first introduced to them back in 1987. When I bought a new pup in 96, I knew that this type of place was needed to devolop my new pal.

I then moved from WI to MN and I found a place close to my new home called the American Heritage Hunting Club Between Eagle Bend and Parkers Prairie, MN. Great place with nice people that are very willing to work with a person with dog issues and training. It is a little drive from the Cities but has facitlities for a person to stay and for you work your dog and then maybe go to one of the lakes around to catch some fish and then go back and work your dog. I would give them a shout. I think you will like what they have to offer. By the way I have been to Wings north and that is a fine facility also, as is the others that were mentioned in the other responses that you have reecieved.

One other thing is that they do have birds year round so a summer fishing/hunting trip up there is worth it!

Their number is 218-738-5143

are there any public preserve around east central? i want to take out my ess few time this spring n summer

thanks

If you go to the DNR web site, I seem to remember that they list all the licensed shooting reserves and pick one close to home.