• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Sunday Newspaper

bassNspear

I have read that artical in the sunday newspaper on the lawyer that was spearing in cross lake.

Its weird to know that the population shas went from 50,000 to 15,000 people that spear in the state of minnesota. The main reason is the expense of the sport. It has been in the state forever.

Everyone must get a report of that artical, and read up on it. Ill try and find it on the net.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bassNspear

• Central Bassman

• 10,000 Casts

• Cowgirladdict

Thanks BNS!

Good article, But I don't agree with the Cost thing being a factor in people not getting into this form of fishing. I think that if a RESPONSABLE spearer took more people out, and showed them the bad rep would go away and more people would get into it. No days people dont bat an eye at paying $100.00 for a reel, then another hundo for a rod. How much for a boat?

My .02.

Kenny

You have a good point.

The way that i look at it is that once you buy all the material for spearing, like myself, i have not bought anything for it all year. There is not alot of money that is into it after the fact that you buy everything right out front.

I feel that once you buy all the product that your going to need for the big day, there really isnt a price that your going to have to pay after that.

It is certainly not the expense of the sport. I believe that their may be some ethics involved but thats not why spearing is comming down in popularity. I believe that the fact of the matter is that it is old fashion. (not a bad thing), but ice fishing market has hit a technology boom within the last 5-8 years and it is making easier and easier to ice fish. Spearing however, what is the last innovation? The rotating decoy????

Those spearers haven't dissapeared off the face of the earth, (some do go to Florida for the winter now) haha But ice fishing is sooo much easier and it takes alot less work.

John

I have to disagree with you in one aspect that you stated before. I dont think that ice fishing is alot easier then spearing. The technology of spearing is not that hard. The new technology of the ice thons, and hand saws, makes it so much easier to be able to cut the whole. Just what i think.

i dont think its the cost either, i think its more due to the fact that people are more in tune with the conservation aspect of fishing in todays fishing world, now im not saying im agaisnt speaaring in anyway, i just think more people are in it for the sport of catch and release now and keeping a few eaters here and there.

Bass,

What do you spear out of? What do you cut your hole with?

The first question on every beginning spearers mind is what kind of house do I need? And the second question is, how do I cut the hole? Very basic questions to us.... yes. Now to someone that has never done it before, those are actually intimidating questions.

I deal with the ice market almost every day and I have for the last 2 and a half years. If that same person comes in wanting to ice fish, with a little cash, I will have him pulling his Yukon, with his Jiffy and his Vexilar and if he wants, a gps with a map chip and he will be catching a limit of walleyes or crappies in no time.

All of the equipment mentioned above is very readily available anywhere.

Now for Spearing, here in fargo, there are people that do want to spear. To effectivly outfit someone with the equipment that they need, they would have to go to 3 different stores in order to get the minimal things that they need.

Have you ever seen a beginners spear kit? it may exist but

I haven't.

At Gander this year, we stocked a total of two ice saws, i'll bet that their was a total of 10 availible in Fargo. There are some decoys but a pretty poor selection.

All I am trying to say is that if someone wants to get started in Spearing, they really have to want to.

Look around at the lakes, are their more people ice fishing than there was 5 years ago? Yes and they are catching more fish because it is easier than it was 5 years ago. Are their less people spearing? yes. Beacause it takes just as much work as it did 10 years ago.

Have you ever heard of a "Take a Kid Spearing" Campaign"?

I haven't and thats for lots of reasons but I don't know a lot of kids that have the patience to wait around while you get the house ready, and then wait around for the northerns to come in.

Just some thoughts

John

I spear out of a Mankato Portable fish house, that no matter if your spearing or ice fishing, your going to need that. So you look at that aspect, that price is for the both ice fishing and spearing.

Auger, which i cut 4 holes, same as a ice fisherman. A handsaw, which is a total of about 150 dollors, when you have a ice fisherman that is out spending moster money on rods and reels. And a ice thons, that is a hole 40.00.

Funny that you say it might cost myself as a spearer to spend alot of money on them tools, but when you look at it, half of the gear that i just stated, a ice fisherman is going to need it as well.

As far as the Take a Kid Fishing day, I as a Member of Minnesota Spearing Assc. we strive in taking kids out to be able to see what its like to go spearing, and one more thing,

"Can you icefish in spear hole?" smile.gif

Ok Then,

why has the number of spearers dwindled to almost 1/5 of what it used to be? Obviously if everyone saw it the same way as you do, they would be spearing. But they don't, and I am trying to look at the big picture and you are not seeing my point and you have yet to make one. In years to come, the sport will keep decreasing in popularity.

John

Because the rest of us practice catch and release on large fish. Maybe you should start using a taser.......

LOL this is just stupid... yea what is there to be new in spearing??? It's not a hard sport, unlike ice fishing!! I dont know how you can say spearing cost more then ice fishing because its not even close.. Think about it!!! If you talk about spearing to people most of them will say "i would love to try that".. Most people these days dont understand it or dont have a CLUE where to even start!!!

Not EVER One does catch and release there sr!!!!

And as far as Gander go's about stocking Spearing stuff... They cant even keep stock of they normal fishing stuff, let alone spearing.. TRUST ME I KNOW!!!!

im 15 and my uncle took me out for the first time spearing 3 weekends ago and ive tagged along with him every trip since! its just something about spearing that makes it so appealing to SOME people. so far ive probably put in 24 hours of spearing and have seen only 20 fish(6lbs. being the biggest) and have yet to stick the spear through one. but i still plan on making another trip this weekend. as far as the decrease in spearing popularity i think its that most people dont have the PATIENCE or DETERMINATION for it. out in my neck of the woods (chub lake) there is ALOT more spear houses than angling houses, id say theres 5 spearing houses for every 1 angling house.

Quote:

Because the rest of us practice catch and release on large fish. Maybe you should start using a taser.......

The larger fish have to be caught to be released right? I don't have to throw the spear at him, fish never knew he was in trouble. It's been said before "Look and release".

But that has been argued qbout in another thread.

Kenny

I think Spearing has decreased in popularity for a handful of reasons – most of those points have been made in one way or another already.

I think the biggest reason is that most people do practice catch and release on bigger fish. Spearers do this by letting them swim, and the other side of the coin is that not every hook and line angler will release a big fish. That said, most of today’s angling crowd that catches bigger fish, does tend to release them.

The second reason is effort. Let’s face it, once you pick a spot to set up - a portable ice fisherman can be setup and fishing inside of ten minutes. The same guy sets up to spear and it will be closer to 45 minutes before he’s getting his decoys in the water.

That same situation feeds into the next reason. Dave Genz and the portable mfg have sold us on the idea that mobile fishermen catch more fish and to a large degree this is true, so people have come to value mobility. Usually once a spear guy is set up – he’s there for the long haul and generally doesn’t move around nearly as much as he would if he was doing the whole portable fishing deal.

Another reason is that most guys don’t know where to start unless they had someone to show them the ropes. It takes some special equipment, but also the knowledge of how to use it. It’s not necessarily obvious at first glance and there are not a lot of people that you can go to for guidance.

Lastly, I think in a weird way it has become popular for the hook and line guys to dislike spearing – especially by the CPR crowd.

If a guy catches a 12lb pike on a tip up, hooks it in the gills and lets it go bleeding – he’s still kind of hero because the fish "might" make it. Reality is what happens below the ice no one sees - so no one knows. My view is that he didn’t do that fish any favors and he should have kept it.

That same guy decides to keep that same fish and that’s still cool and people say, “Hey, it’s OK to keep one every now and then.”

Now if that same guy spears the same fish – now he’s looked at as a butcher and killer. It’s no longer cool at all in the eyes of at least a portion of the general angling public. (just my view)

For these reasons I think spear fisher come under greater scrutiny than the greater angling public. These are the same reasons I think it’s very important to make good choices and act responsibly.

I think I’d think twice before I took a big pike out of a system where taking that fish could impact the balance of the lake – Taking the biggest fish from a small water. If you want to take a big fish I think it’s a good idea to try to take it out of a system that might benefit from it – like a stocked trout lake for instance.

I like spearing because it’s steeped in the old ways of fishing. Guys can make their own decoys, spears, shacks, etc. If instead you decide to buy these same items, most of them are handmade by real people who live here in the Midwest and many of the items are truly one of a kind. There is something very cool about that.

I think I agree that spearing will either continue to decline or at least probably not grow much in popularity – mainly because of the whole mobility, effort and learning thing. But I hope it never goes away. If it does we all will have lost something truly valuable from the angling world. I think it’s a pretty special tradition and we are lucky to have it here in Minnesota.

bassnspear, iread that article also. good reading. just so happens the st. cluod times sports section on sunday had a nice piece about spearing from a outdoor reporter for that paper thats never speared. it was about the bad rap spearers get. he even said its not fair to give spearers such a bad reputation.

Bassman,

You missed my point. There are many reasons why spearing is a dying sport.

Quote:

And as far as Gander go's about stocking Spearing stuff... They cant even keep stock of they normal fishing stuff, let alone spearing.. TRUST ME I KNOW!!!!

isnt that the truth, dont even get me started there, wait we could start a whole new thread on this subject alone !!

First off, that was a great subject on spearing. I read the one in the st cloud times, great artical as well. Spearing is dying for the simple fact that people are getting lazy, think about it. People now days dont want to take the time to cut the whole and wait for fish. But when were talking about waiting for fish, dont oyu have to wait for fish when your icefishing? Maybe im wrong

Its Gander Mountains fault for not stocking anything. If they dont stock it, who cares, go somewhere else and get it.

I like the fact that the 15 year old got to go out spearing and is now hooked. Believe it or not, all the kids and parents that I have taken out "Spearing" loved it and are doing it themselves now. All a person as to do is take some time out of there day to help others out.

Quote:

The larger fish have to be caught to be released right? I don't have to throw the spear at him, fish never knew he was in trouble. It's been said before "Look and release".

But that has been argued qbout in another thread.

Kenny

It doesn't matter how many fish you look and release. what matters is how many fish you look and don't release....

I've never kept a large pike and never will unless its clearly been badly damaged, but I can go to the pics thread and see people keeping multiple large pike in a day. THere is a reason muskie guys are catching fifty inchers and pike guys are shking off hammerhandles. THat reason is that we don't kill big fish as a rule. I'm not trying to be a (Contact Us Please) but the fact is that the vast majority of non walleye/perch/crappie fisherman just don't believe in harvest and think what spearers do to pike fisheries is flat out wrong. I think it sounds like fun but I'm not gonna do it and thats why.

I think it really does matter how many fish you catch and release because of hooking mortality, which is higher than most people realize especially on larger fish. I really don't know that the majority of anglers out there are really very good about practicing catch and release. I believe muskie hunters are good about C/R and that is certainly a good thing. By the way I used to do a lot muskie fishing up on LOW in Ontario and we certainly did catch and release a lot of pretty decent northerns, some of which died due to extrication from those large muskie hooks. There may be more 50" muskies because of several factors including their inate potential to grow more quickly to that size and the fact that relatively few fishermen know how to consistently catch them. Big northerns are easier to get to bite in most lakes and can be fished down pretty quickly. It is the same way with large brook trout vs. browns. Those specks are just plain easier to fool.

Interest in spearing seems to be holding steady or slightly on the rise. People like the folk tradition, simplicity and low tech aspect of the sport. Interest in decoys, carving and spears is certainly increasing.

I took a guy and his two young children (4 and 6 years old) out with me Sunday afternoon. You should have seen the look on their faces when they were looking down that hole. They were a little scared of the opening at first but were soon in absolute awe at the view. They loved watching the small perch inhale their bait. By the time they left, they were begging their dad to get a darkhouse with "a big hole." No pike came in but they got the idea and I am sure they will never forget the experience! Another cure for "nature deficit disorder." Don't forget to take kids outdoors and away from their computers and electronics.

Some of this anti spearing stuff is hogwash. Lets use this example. I'm spearing and whack a 25 incher watch a couple smaller pike go. As is usual I don't see a monster but had a good day. Today its 2 degrees and windy I put my two tip up out and catch and release a dozen smaller pike and keep the 25 incher. How many have I killed 1 25 incher for sure. Probably 1 or 2 of the releases as well pulled out of the water in 2 degree weather dropped twice in the snow slime disrupted or frozen possible eye freezing due to length of time to un hook. Who killed more fish this winter? I would bet the catch and release angler.

All methods of fishing kill even if catch and release is practised. Spearing is a tradition and legal and ethical. We must stay united and protect all legal methods of fishing. The antis must love this in fighting and elitist attitude that one method of fishing is more pure more ethical etc. If we fight amongst ourselves and let one method of fishing be stopped. Will your favorite technique be next. Tipups really aren't fair its like a trap takes no skill etc. This type of stuff is what the antis want. The same argument is true in hunting. I don't bowhunt but would I want them to stop bowhunting because its inhumane etc. Of course I wouldn't its a legal means of harvesting deer and enjoyed by many. It just dos'nt trip my trigger but I would fight for the bowhunter rights. All fisherman and hunter must stick together for the good of all. Once one thing is banned they will attack something else.

Mwal

Personally I think that the idea that there are high rates of delayed mortality is an artifact of CPR advocates overblowing the fragility of fish to get people to put their fish back in the water more quickly. I don't think alot of fish CPR'd die from the trauma, and I certainly don't think any musky or large pike I've ever caught has.

The most important fish in minnesota waters is the medium/large pike. Period. Its just obvious. Look at the total crap virtually all of the metro lakes have become with stunted marauding hordes of hammerhandles. To selectively remove big pike destroys fisheries more effectively than anything else you could do aside from using rotenone.

Nobody is gonna get on your case for harvesing one 25 inch fish per season but think about the fishery. Nail some of the little guys and just watch the big ones.

My intention was not to completely highjack this thread to bash spearing (although I do enjoy it grin.gif) but to suggest that any decrease in the popularity of spearing is likely due to the fact that it is completely counter to the current trend which is aheavy heavy emphasis on CPR.

It really doesn’t matter what you guys say because we are still going to do it!!! It is legal so... I LOVE it and i will keep promoting the sport as much as i can!!!! wink.gif

So, your beef is with people who selectively harvest big predator fish. I agree with that point of veiw. I think the mistake you make is that you equate that person with "spearfishermen"

I think you have made the assumption that all spear fishers only target big pike or that any big pike that shows up in a spearing hole is as good as dead.

You've got several people who practice the sport telling you that that just isn't the case. I think you would be surprised how many big fish are left to swim away.

I'll be honest - if a 10lb pike showed up in my spear hole I'd probably take her. But if 10 more showed up after that - I sure wouldn't take any of them. What would be the point? I'd much rather occasionally take a few small ones that I can eat right away than to have to store a big peice of meat in the freezer.

Personally, I have a hard time harvesting any fish of any size if I have some of that fish in the freezer. I just don't think it's right.

Anyhoo, one remorable big fish that I'm pretty sure I killed was big musky that was in the upper 40's. I "figure eighted" her along side the boat but failed to hit the free spool. When she hit, she immeadiatly burried 80lb tough line to the core of the spool and broke off. She went off with a big orange / black reef hog in her face. I have a hard time thinking that the fish didn't die and it still kind of makes me sick to recall it and write about it.

frown.gif

Fact of the matter is fellows, is that spearing is going ot be around for years to come. There are times when i am out there that i see 15 pike, but only spear one, under 30 inches.

For myself spearing, im not out there to take ever fish that is over 30 inches. First off them fish are horrible to eat, and second off its going to kill the bigger populations.

I understand where your coming from as far as killing the populations, but on the other hand, taking smaller pike is going to help the populations, becuase the fish in the lake are not going to get to the point where there not going to be over populated. Relize this, if a fisherman is not taking any pike, but only takes one monster, fact of the matter is this, if there not taking the middle or lower sized pike, the population is going to be overwellming, and the lake is going to be out of controll

Bassman,

My point is that people these days are lazy.

Up here in Fargo, a guy would have a hard time getting a quality set up no matter where he went to buy his equipment. Why? because the store(s) (sportsmans, scheels, Fleet and Gander)just don't have a solid demand. So do they have to go to Cabelas in Grand Forks?

In the above paragraph I am just explaining that if someone here does want to get into it, it can be tough.

Next, It does take more work to drill / saw a spear hole and set up for spearing than it does for ice fishing. People these days are lazy and they see that as work. We don't see it as work, we see it as a good time, but people who have never done it before see it as work and are intimidated.

My point is that if you don't know anyone that is an avid spearer or live where it is readily available it can be a very intimidating sport to get into.

John

Everybody here is obviously a responceble and concervation minded spearer other wise they wouldn't be here on this site advocating the sport.

The fact is that when we do see the pics in the bait shops of the 15-20 pounders with spear marks. I don't know about you guys but I see too many of them every year.

just a thought

John