• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

lac qui parle

The fishing has been so/so. They are getting a few walleyes and the occasional flurry of crappie activity. No real hot bite going on yet.

There are still some areas of open water that have been moving aroung due to the wind and shifting ice.

Two pickups went down in the last week. One near Boyds landing and one over by Engebretsons(sp).

koonie, Whats the ice like by the state park access? Are there any houses set up over on that end? If so are they driving trucks out?...Thanks

the state park landing doesn't seem to get used much. I myself haven't heard of anybody using that landing so far.

There are a couple of houses in that area. Everybody seems to be scattered this year probably because of iffy ice.

That end seldom gets much use, even on years with good ice. Thats usually where I try first. Ill be back down there the weekend after next to give it a try. Hope fully wont have to take the wheeler out... thanks for the report norm

As far as the south end, a couple of vehicles were out last week end but they drove out of the pit. The access at the old state park is inacessible (big heave right in front) which was open as recently as a week & a half ago. Fishing was tough last weekend with the cold & wind. Did I mention the wind. Up by the hunting shack (Wally's) by Milan Beach, three guys on Sunday were trying to pull a couple of houses off with cables. Seems someone was walking by one of the houses & went in up to the armpits. The lake opened up by Milan beach to the south big time from the wind. I'm sure is got some ice now. Use caution.

There are more & more houses going in by the "clay banks" & north of Janes out in the middle but again ice varies.

The north end was decent a week ago but they have scattered. The full moon coming up may chane the fising luck but the cold is also supposed to set in so we'll see. Am heading out that way today (wed.) to fish the weekend.

Good luck.

Fished it hard this weekend and not a whole lot to show from it.. Couple eyes and a few perch, I'd never complain about sitting in a house out on LQP though! I love it out there!

• 11 months later...

Anyone been out this year lately?

Trying it out tonite, just want to know where to go and not go

Thanks

I fish the puddle 5 -7 times a week. Once the extreme cold has set in the crappie bite has been real scattered. If you do a little work you should be able to get on top of a hard hittin school. Best advice I could give would be to setup in the house cities. Either a little shallower or deeper then every body else is where i've had the best luck.

I got there at about 7 pm and stayed till 11 pm, got a couple, do you have an email address bothune? just had a few questions for you.

I'm planning to head Lac Qui Parle way this weekend.

Any current reports on access problems and fishing reports/locations much appreciated.

I was going to go out there this past weekend but passed it up for another trip to willmar lakes.

Good luck!

Some friends of mine were there for a few days last week & came home empty handed, but who knows, that can all change.

Im heading up there this weekend... the plan is to fish a few miles north of milan bridge... anyone been catching anything elsewhere on the lake?

• 2 weeks later...

I've been catching walleyes real shallow in several different areas of the lake. The action is fast and furious if you can find a shallow spot where they are feeding on bait that doesn't have fins or gills. Seek and ye shall find.

I was-

Mostly crappies- didn't catch a lot but the ones we caught were

small-HEHE. Actually they are small by lac qui parle standards; 9"-mayyybe 10".

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.
    • monstermoose78
      Guys slim creek on burntside is the place to load up on smelt

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.