• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
fishinpapa

Concerns about Spring??

fishinpapa

Just wondering what the thoughts are on open water season. I know last year you could barely (2 feet of water) get between star island and the other island. I think it's cedar?? It's funny how some people are so happy about the weather but forget the implications come summertime. Praying for snow!!!!!!!!!!!!

beef

Snow does have a major impact on the lake level.. But give it time it is only January.. I think March is usually the month that we get our most snow... The forecast is calling for maybe a measurable amount of snow sunday night into monday night-- I will beileve it when I see it though...

Beef

Windy City Walleye Hunter

Papa,

I don't know much about Cass, I only come up there for two weeks every year (but our family has been going up there for 20 years) but I don't know if snow has that much to do with the water level. From what Brian has told me, it depends on the DNR and how they operate the dam slots. They control how much water they let in and let out and I have not heard too many people who think they really care about fisherman when choosing the water levels. Just thought I would throw in my two cents. Maybe more locals can chime in with comments.

Windy

Otter

We finally got some snow Friday night, but it looked like less than 1/2". At least our lawn is white now! As Beef said, there is a lot of time left between now and opener, so it's too early to tell. We definely need a lot or snow this winter or good spring rains, otherwise it will be worse than last year. I had major problems the last two weeks I fished last fall getting my boat launched.

LABS4ME

They can and do control the lake's water level with the gates on the dam... unfortunatly this is not at the Corps doing (and I'm far from a defender of the Corps), this is flat out caused by the severe drought we are experiencing. If it gets much lower, there won't even be water going through the dam...

The Turtle River watershed is huge. It is one of Cass' major tributaries. I once read a 1" rain from the lake to the North can bounce the level in Cass 3"s.

The snow and subsequent snowmelt will indeed have a major impact on the lake levels. The spring rains will too. We need them here and BAD!!! There is a lot more to worry about other than the lake level... trees will begin to show damage or death by the end of next summer, some wells will experience problems, wetlands will totally disappear effecting duck production... resorts and other tourism dependent businesses are already feeling the effects (no snomobiling and hard to launch - land dock boats in the fall) the list goes on.

Cass is huge and deep, and these low waters effect us (our boats) but will not have a major impact on the lake itself. Cross your fingers and say a prayer... everyone has a reason why we need some precipitation up here!

Good Luck!

Ken

Windy City Walleye Hunter

I knew that somebody would chime in with a little more knowledge on the subject. Labs, I will keep my fingers crossed as well. It was pretty scary last year getting from Cass into Pug on our way to The Pike Hole! I was driving about 15 of our family members in a rented pontoon and I thought we were going to have to get out and pull the dang thing through. Luckily, I was able to till up the motor to about 3 inches and chug through slowly. Good luck and like ole Dino used to sing.....Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow!

Windy

LABS4ME

You may be firing up the auto to go get your mushroom burger at Pike Hole next year unless Ma' Nature straightens her act out!

The last time I was able to make it over to Pike Hole was at the end of August/beginning of Sept, about the time the kids were getting ready to go back to school, we made one last run there. We too barely made it through with my neighbor's pontoon. At the end of Sept., we were up duck hunting and got a verified report of the crappies running in Kitchi, tried to walk my fishing boat through into Pug Hole... we both got out and pushed... no go! Maybe 6-8" of water at best over the sand. Looked all over for a spot just a little deeper to push it through, but it was not going to happen. I feel sorry for the Pike Hole if they don't get the water level back up next year.

I wonder now if the Corps is kicking themselves for letting so much out through the summer knowing we were not recieveing any rain... The bad thing is, they are mandated to release a minimum of 100 c.f. per minute at the Knutson Dam, while Lake Bemidji (which feeds Cass) is only mandated to release 50 c.f. per minute downstream into Cass. Ottertail Power (Lake Bemidji) gets to decide how much they let out, while the interests downstream from Cass decide how much Cass is going to let out. mad.gif arghhhh

Good Luck!

Ken