• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

They Used to Call Us Game Wardens

swamptiger

Just wondering if anyone else has read this? It's written by Bill Callies, a game warden stationed at Waskish in the 1960's. A lot of history about the area and names of real people. I understand he wrote it with the stipulation that it not be published until after his death. Kelly's dad, Jim, is mentioned in the book several times. (in a good way, of course smile.gif)

I'm not promoting the book - don't have any reason to - but it's good reading for anyone interested in the area.

Saw that book at the barnes and noble in duluth the other day. I was wondering if it was a good read. Think I'll pick it up.

Can't help you there - just do a Google search and you should find it - or check around in your local bookstores.

North County Food and Fuel here in Waskish sells it. There is supposed to be a 2nd edition coming.

Speaking of good reading, there's a pretty good article about hunting mountain lions in the February Fur-Fish-Game. It says in order to successfully hunt mountain lions, you must first set yourself up to be stalked by them. I can send it up with the wife, if you're interested...

That was supposed to be a joke - he must have either not read it, or stayed at the bar too late.. grin.gif

Doesn't really sound like my idea of fun either - unless I had a sawed-off shotgun loaded with double-ought, maybe.. grin.gif

Reminds me of the time I took my son Jon out to Colorado for the Colorado youth elk hunt. Trudging around out in the mountains - him with a bow slung over his shoulder and me unarmed. We had fun, but in hindsight I don't know if it was such a good idea - we stopped at the sporting goods store in town before going out to camp, and the guy at the sporting goods store told me to "keep an eye on the kid - a mountain lion will go after a kid, you know". He was 15 at the time.

"keep an eye on the kid - a mountain lion will go after a kid, you know".

That was it!!! shocked.gif I either looked too old and tough or too fat. grin.gif

grin.gifgrin.gifI suppose it depends on how hungry they are... There was a 70 year old guy from California in the news just last week who was attacked by a mountain lion - his wife beat it off with a club. There's a picture of him on the internet on MSNBC - he doesn't look too good, but he and his wife figure they are lucky to be alive.

Quote:

There was a 70 year old guy from California in the news just last week who was attacked by a mountain lion

Ouch, must be tough to know that mountain lions prefer a 70 year old man over you KellyP. shocked.giftongue.gif

I know I know I got poo bag detail tommorow. It was worth it. grin.gif

Go ahead and pick on me guys. It's been one of those weeks. I met Foster on the road and remarked that finding a new spot was getting tough as I had punched in 68 holes over 6 nights and miles of lake and never caught a crappie. Foster replied, "Maybe you should learn to fish.". By the time I looked up he had rolled his window up and was driving away laughing histerically. (sp?)

My back was hurting but not as bad as my foot as I inched painfully along the 20 feet from the truck to the house. I finally got to the house rather proud of myself for getting there without any help. Expecting a compliment I looked at Jon and he said, "You look like a one man Civil War Veterans Parade". grin.gifgrin.gif

That cougar probably just wanted to get a look at what the heck a Kelly-P was. Stan C.

I think he was just trying to get a good look at how that deer he killed the week before and dragged up in the tree to "age", got down on the ground and was walking around again.... grin.gif hehehe

All I know is this, I was up there that week and that cat would have none of me... is that good or bad?! shocked.gif maybe Kelly can use me as cat repellant next year (and deer repellant, and bear repellant and fish repellant etc. crazy.gif)

ah cripes... now I probably got poo bag detail! hehehe

Good Luck,

Ken

Labs, I have noticed that most anything you try hunt or fish is repelled. Bear, deer, grouse, ducks and fish. Maybe you could market it? grin.gif

• 2 months later...

I have the first and second volume of "They used to call us game wardens". The story entitled "indian uprising" in the second volume has my grandpa Terrance in it. It's some interesting reading.