• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
gimmie_eaters

Upper Mission

gimmie_eaters

Anyone hearing anything about upper mission pannies? was hoping to head up there on sat afternoon.

big trav

the panfish on upper mission are hit and miss this year.the fish house village is near the narrows this year no one is set up in the old spot in the north west bay this year,at least a week ago it was houseless.

Gator Slayer

Was there on Sat, lots of houses, permanent and portable packed together near the channel and off a weed point. Caught 1 crappie of average size. I think similar results for most as sunday there wasn't 1/3 the number of portables and a lot of the permanents were empty. Not sure if weather played a role or what. Not sure what is a hot pannie lake right now

deerwoody

From what I hear Bay Lake is the place to be.

big trav

ya bay is doing ok i hit it a week ago.but what is with people grouping up in one spot?there is a lot of water,and alot of good spots left untapped.i was 1/4 mile from any other house and did good,i heard that the villige i could see in the distance did poor that night.i talked to a few guys there.

MCI

We have had a cabin on the upper lake since 1979, the last 10 years we have done good on the eye's early ice until Jan., then they stop. This year I got my house out the first weekend in Dec. that hasn't happened in years. between me, my dad and a few friends we caught 30 this winter. As years past they have now shut down and I will go in search of the panfish now. I tend to do pretty good on the crappie after dark off the piont from hoot owl bay. The lower lake is very good for sunnies, you don't need to look very hard to find a active school and just like most lakes just before ice out you can get some real slabs. The guy is 100% right, don't follow the crowd of houses on that lake. I honestly think their are a few old timers that fish this lake every year and once they put their house out, the rest of the mob looks for that one guy's house and that is where the village sets up. In the past 10 years I have seen that village move around the whole lake and I have never done real well fishing in it.

deerwoody

Coincedence they dont bite where everyone else is fishing???I think not!!

MCI

Deerwoody, have you ever fished the lake in the winter?

There is always 1 big cluster of houses and then a dozen others scattered threw out the lake. The big mob is mostly a bunch of friends that fish together and of coase then you have a few other houses that set up shop there because they see a bunch of houses in that one spot and figure the fish MUST be hitting there. I guess what I mean is that on other lakes maybe the mob is getting good fishing and that is the place to be, but on Mission you have about 6 different spots other than the mob to fish at and I my self have caught bigger and more numbers than the people in the mob.

So yes, the mob is not ALWAYS the place people are catching fish, sometimes it is just a group of followers out drounding a bunch of minnows.

deerwoody

I have a friend who lives on the lake and I fish it often with him,he is also a local guide.What I am saying is the more pressure the smaller the fish,maybe not always but it is a good general rule especialy in the winter.I think Trav did better than others for a reason on Bay.

Gator Slayer

Hey MCI I need to get to know you, I have a place on lower, I fish U.M. and Pelican about equally. Have a black flip over and polaris (ranger 6x6 or 600 touring sled). stop by sometime I'd like to know where the other 6 places are!!!! grin.gif Met a younger (than me) guy a couple weeks ago (Erik) you he? I think Deerwoody's buddy is uspet because the village is right off his parents place. (guide with parents on the lake can only be one guy I know of).

MCI

No, it was not me. If I see ya the next time I'm out I will stop and say hi.

Do you fish sunnies or crappie on the lower lake?

The last few winters I haven't been able to find a very active school of crappie on lower.

CrappieAttitude

Quote:

I honestly think their are a few old timers that fish this lake every year and once they put their house out, the rest of the mob looks for that one guy's house and that is where the village sets up. In the past 10 years I have seen that village move around the whole lake and I have never done real well fishing in it.

I think the old timers should set up decoy shacks over non-productive spots and then use portables and fish their normal spots while laughing at everyone setting up a village in no-mans land. grin.gifgrin.gif

CA

Gator Slayer

I'll be up the W.E. of the 10th-11th. Usually fish upper in the AM alone, my wife sleeps in. I've not had much luck with pannies on lower. I guess they got hammered a few years ago and have yet to recover. I like to pike fish with tip-ups on lower. I do have some info on lower that might help. David

igotem

Quote:

I think the old timers should set up decoy shacks over non-productive spots and then use portables and fish their normal spots while laughing at everyone setting up a village in no-mans land.

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

That's funny and it would work. I can't believe all the lakes around here that have one group of houses setup within feet of each other and then the rest of the lake is wide open. I love this mentality. Go ahead and pack up cuz I'm on the move. tongue.gif

big trav

was eric fishing tip-ups on the north east side?I think its one of my buddies,no deerwoody is not named eric LOL.And as for you woody whatcha trying to say LOL!!

codyz

Hey Gator Slayer I live on lower. The reason for the panfish shortage is there was a big die off this summer. I saw probly 600 to 700 around our dock alone. As for crappies we have only caught 3 through the ice in ten years. Summer is alot diffrent.

big trav

three in ten years?come on now,catching crappies is like shooting ring bills LOL.What part of the lake do you live on? There are still plenty of crappies in there,or you wouldnt be able to catch them in "the spot" in the spring like you do.ya just have work for them till ya get into a school that the village hasnt found yet.

codyz

Go north from the landing third dock past the point. I've drilled thousands of holes allover this lake and I can't find them I gave up on this lake for crappie.

Gator Slayer

Erik was fishin Tip Ups, on the 20th I think, his guys were in a "gray" hardside. He came over a talked to me a couple times, I think is "grandpa" has a place on the eastern side of upper, He was pointing but I didn't have my glasses on. smirk.gif He's not a real big guy, but helped me out. I think the group went over and tip-up fished lower later on saturday morning. Like I said IF you see a Ranger 6X6 out there it's probably me stop in say hi.

big trav

ya that my buddy,his grandpa's house is on the mission cut across between 109 and 19.I will stop and say hi if i see you out fishing,i drive a newer black ford reg cab shortbox with yellow graphics,you cant miss it.